autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick winter wash/ wax recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by bmiley View Post
    Yeah, The Mckees hydro blue and blackfire hydroseal look interesting, but they still recommend wiping/ drying after application which isn't really what im looking for.
    Hydroseal and Hydro Blue don’t require drying afterwards, it’s only recommended for the same reason anyone would want to dry after any wash: prevent water spots/marks. If you are OK rinsing the car and not drying normally, there’s no difference in not drying after using these products.

I don’t think water marks are much of an issue in the winter because the evaporation process is slow, even in sun.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yellosuzku View Post
    IMO the easiest solutions for protection are the McKee's Hydro Blue and CarPro Hydro2. They are a spray on rinse and blow dry/towel dry product. The drying could be you driving down the street? I have used both products and they work well. A little goes a long way. Only need a couple sprays per panel. In the future your best bet may to put on a durable wax or ceramic before winter. There are a ton of products out there now with easy applications that should get you through the winter. Autogeek has lots of sales so keep your eyes peeled so you can try something new!
    Those both look like potential options, the instructions do say just spray on and rinse off, but then follow up with something about drying with a microfiber. Have you used either of those and just let it dry? I worry that I might end up with some weird looking residual marks that could be difficult to get off.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Hydroseal and Hydro Blue don’t require drying afterwards, it’s only recommended for the same reason anyone would want to dry after any wash: prevent water spots/marks. If you are OK rinsing the car and not drying normally, there’s no difference in not drying after using these products.

I don’t think water marks are much of an issue in the winter because the evaporation process is slow, even in sun.
    So if there are water spots would they be trapped under the coating? Thats my concern with a product like that, if it leaves any marks it might be hard to get off.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I have heard good things about the griots stuff, pretty pricy though. Ill take another look at those products. Thanks
    You can get on Autogeek. Wait till 25% off. I’d definitely recommend the surface wash as I feel its most effective i’ve used from the states. Heard good things about gtechniq citrus foam but more expensive.

Also if your going spray wax definitely try the Uber. Looks good and plays with the wax. As for best of show Im sure some wax guys will come in with a less Expensive spray wax that works just as well.

Youll spend about $50 for a gallon of GSW and a 16oz bottle of wolf gang UBer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

DG Aquawax or Optimum spray wax are winners in my book.

Awesome toppers, and dirt cheap.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yellosuzku View Post
    The drying could be you driving down the street?
    Don't laugh, but if it's cold yet the highways are dry, I have sometimes just done a quick wash & rinse at the coin-op (use spot-free rinse) and then "blown dry" the vehicle on the highway for a few miles. Street driving doesn't generate enough airflow to do much good.

Post Thanks / Like

So if there are water spots would they be trapped under the coating? Thats my concern with a product like that, if it leaves any marks it might be hard to get off.
    At the point you’ve used Hydro Blue or Hydroseal, the product has mixed with the water you rinsed with and it essentially becomes the coating. You won’t get water spots under the coating, the coating is then using the water to travel and attach to the surface. The water spots would be on top after the coating has already adhered, IMO.

I just realized that some people complained about streaking with Hydro Blue and I’m sure the drying helps prevent that. I’ve never experienced streaking myself, but my new recommendation is to dry after the final rinse with a blower or even by driving the car. This should hopefully prevent water spots or streaks. I’m assuming you don’t care if there is a small streak for a day or two because the car isn’t clean enough to touch-dry, so I don’t think perfection cleaning is what you’re after. You want the winter protection (my assumption again).

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    At the point you’ve used Hydro Blue or Hydroseal, the product has mixed with the water you rinsed with and it essentially becomes the coating. You won’t get water spots under the coating, the coating is then using the water to travel and attach to the surface. The water spots would be on top after the coating has already adhered, IMO.

I just realized that some people complained about streaking with Hydro Blue and I’m sure the drying helps prevent that. I’ve never experienced streaking myself, but my new recommendation is to dry after the final rinse with a blower or even by driving the car. This should hopefully prevent water spots or streaks. I’m assuming you don’t care if there is a small streak for a day or two because the car isn’t clean enough to dry, so I don’t think perfection cleaning is what you’re after. You want the winter protection (my assumption again).
    Excellent point.

But to the OP: Easy, no-worry, no-touch, miracle bead products do not exist for the harsh winters.

Wax, sealant, hybrid or coating, you will have to touch the paint to remove the nasty winter grime.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes acuRAS82, Coatingsarecrack, hoyt66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On warm days I blast off heavy deposits, do a rinseless wash and then go over the paint with a spray (currently TW Seal and Shine).
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

I’m doing a little test on Sonax PNS. The dirt repellency is pretty amazing. I would give that a try. You’ll need a clean surface to start, but based on a couple weeks of testing that includes multiple days of rain, it repels dirt and water spots better than anything I’ve ever put on my cars.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

13. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast