autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratches on front windshield

Hey all,

My buddy picked up these scratches on his front windshield. You can feel them a little bit but the glass isn't actually cracked. Any suggestions? I've looked through Mike's polishing guide and other pages but not sure what is best. Can I try some heavy cut polish by hand to start?

Thanks!

Scratches on front windshield-img_20200112_123220_1-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratches on front windshield

Try working at it with some clay bar and maybe some compound and wax. Good luck my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

If those are actual scratches and not transfer marks on top of the glass, you're pretty much SOL. Would not even bother trying to polish them with glass cutting pads and cerium oxide. Such a messy process and won't do much if you can feel the scratch. "Feel the scratch" is code for "it's too deep, don't try anything"...unless you like playing with fire and you and your buddy are okay with you possibly making the matter worse and getting a new windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned try to clay bar it to see if it's any transfer from what hit the windshield if you have not done so yet. You can do the same thing with a polish by hand too. If you want to get some kind of correction done on glass which is very hard to get any correction done on. From the AGO store I would get a kit with Carpro CeriGlass. And if you have a polisher get some of their Rayon Glass Polishing Pads. Very very shallow defects can be corrected with this CeriGlass or Cerium Oxide abrasives. It's time consuming to do this and it take hours of polishing with a polisher on glass to get good results from it. And as mentioned also very messy work LOL. So cover up thoroughly around the windshield and a good way out on the paint too.

With these kind wide scratches you might get the damaged white looking glass. So it's not so visual afterwards with CeriGlass and their Rayon Glass Polishing Pads on a polisher. If it's in the way of the driver looking out of the windshield. I would recommend you buddy to get a new windshield. If you decide to try out to polishing it. Have very low expectations from the results you may get. Some improvement on them sure but getting it leveled down if you feel anything from the scratches is almost impossible to get on glass sadly.

CarPro Ceriglass Kit, glass polish, water spot remover

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass leveling discs

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass cutting pad

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. This is helpful. It's on the passenger side. Will see what he wants to do.

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks like paint transfer from something hitting the windshield. Try a Clay Bar first and if that doesn't work you can use a Compound.
    Good luck!