autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Super Clean on the interior?

In looking for a good APC that was readily available, I ran across several videos that recommended Super Clean....the purple stuff available at the local auto parts store. Some vids had the dilution at 5:1 others less others more. I opted for 10:1 for a nasty steering wheel and was fairly impressed with the results with a little soft brush agitation. What I did not expect was the effect on the buttons. It seems to have "bleached" them out for lack of a more appropriate term. They were black and shiny, perhaps from years of skin oils etc...but I liked the black and shiny better than the mottled look. Any suggestions? For the time being, I just coated everything with 303.

Many thanks!

Super Clean on the interior?-buttons-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Super Clean on the interior?

Quote Originally Posted by Tieguy77 View Post
    Super Clean...
    Some vids had the dilution at 5:1
    others less others more.

I opted for 10:1 for a nasty steering wheel
    and was fairly impressed with the results
    with a little soft brush agitation.

What I did not expect was the effect on the buttons.
    It seems to have "bleached" them out for lack of a
    more appropriate term. They were black and shiny,
    perhaps from years of skin oils etc...but I liked the
    black and shiny better than the mottled look.
    This is a highly alkaline product, with a
    pH of ~13.8 (pH 14 is the top end of the
    pH scale)!

Diluting it @ 1:10 only reduces the pH level
    to ~12.8—still a rather strong solution for
    many interior components, IMO.

For the time being, I just coated everything
    with 303. Any suggestions?
    Hopefully the 303 AP will help in reducing
    the mottling on those buttons. Here are
    several more products that may also help:

Auto Geek- Your Car Wax SuperStore, Car Wax, Auto Detailing Supplies , Car Accessories, Car Buffers Store, We Are Car Care

Also:
    Hopefully you’ll use a less alkaline APC
    for future vehicle interior cleaning.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recommendations Bob. And here I thought I had done my due diligence. I thought, I was being safe and going beyond what the Pro's in the videos used. The 303 didn't do much to help unfortunately.

*Edit

In fact, in thinking about this, one video in particular stuck out as the Gent was quite liberal with his Super Clean at 5:1 on plastic and seemed to have no issues. While every car is different of course, I'm really disappointed about this. Live and learn. The vid below was only one of at least three who gave a glowing endorsement of the product for use as an APC on interiors including leather. Maybe this will help someone else avoid my mistake.

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recommendations Bob. And here I thought I had done my due diligence. I thought, I was being safe and going beyond what the Pro's in the videos used. The 303 didn't do much to help unfortunately.

*Edit

In fact, in thinking about this, one video in particular stuck out as the Gent was quite liberal with his Super Clean at 5:1 on plastic and seemed to have no issues. While every car is different of course, I'm really disappointed about this. Live and learn. The vid below was only one of at least three who gave a glowing endorsement of the product for use as an APC on interiors including leather. Maybe this will help someone else avoid my mistake.

YouTube
    I agree with Bob and do remember that all plastics are different. I can see your photo and it looks like the oils in the skin are what caused the color change, the APC just cleaned the plastic. I have similar looks on my keyboard at the office with either wearing the texture down or else leaving a residue on the keys that destroy or alter the colors in the plastic. Seen similar in a MB E350 where they never cleaned nor treated the trim. That just ate away the rubber on the steering wheel button exposing the white plastic underneath!

It will be a trial and error process on finding something to restore that trim to black and a bit more luster. The Wolfgang Cockpit trim product might be the one but really have no idea on how it dries and cures. Look at the recent product reviews forum section, perhaps BF Trim Restorer or similar might give the results you are seeking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    I agree with Bob and do remember that all plastics are different. I can see your photo and it looks like the oils in the skin are what caused the color change, the APC just cleaned the plastic. I have similar looks on my keyboard at the office with either wearing the texture down or else leaving a residue on the keys that destroy or alter the colors in the plastic. Seen similar in a MB E350 where they never cleaned nor treated the trim. That just ate away the rubber on the steering wheel button exposing the white plastic underneath!

It will be a trial and error process on finding something to restore that trim to black and a bit more luster. The Wolfgang Cockpit trim product might be the one but really have no idea on how it dries and cures. Look at the recent product reviews forum section, perhaps BF Trim Restorer or similar might give the results you are seeking.
    Thank you Thom, I appreciate the response. My dilution (10:1) was definitely not plastic safe....at least not for my buttons. The buttons were definitely dirty prior to using the APC, but they were more of a uniform black glossy color. The fading came into play after I applied the cleaner. Definitely in for some trial and error with products, but I am SO glad that I didn't use this on my leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for future reference......

It is MUCH recommended to read/ask here on AGO than believe anything posted on YouTube.

From Mike P all the way down to weekend warrior peons (like me), anyone here on this forum will have the knowledge/experience to steer you away from the future mistakes of believing the infamous "YouTube Influencers".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Just for future reference......

It is MUCH recommended to read/ask here on AGO than believe anything posted on YouTube.

From Mike P all the way down to weekend warrior peons (like me), anyone here on this forum will have the knowledge/experience to steer you away from the future mistakes of believing the infamous "YouTube Influencers".

Yeah about that ^^^ I'm a little Upset about that to be honest. I have ALWAYS prided myself on doing extensive research before trying new products etc...So I really thought that given the results and recommendations I had seen from Dallas Paint Correction, Detail Groove and Wilson Auto Detailing, I was in the clear. Especially since I diluted twice as much as all but one. My mistake, and as Thom pointed out above, all plastics are different. In the end, just because it worked well for these guys, clearly doesn't mean it will work for everyone....so I'm certainly not blaming them. I will however say, that in addition to hindsight being 20/20, since I made the mistake I am finding quite a few stories of faded plastics etc...from Superclean. I should have searched for that beforehand. Frankly, if I was brining my car to a pro who liberally applied this on the interior plastics, I would be very unhappy.

8. Likes PaulMys, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah about that ^^^ I'm a little Upset about that to be honest. I have ALWAYS prided myself on doing extensive research before trying new products etc...So I really thought that given the results and recommendations I had seen from Dallas Paint Correction, Detail Groove and Wilson Auto Detailing, I was in the clear. Especially since I diluted twice as much as all but one. My mistake, and as Thom pointed out above, all plastics are different. In the end, just because it worked well for these guys, clearly doesn't mean it will work for everyone....so I'm certainly not blaming them. I will however say, that in addition to hindsight being 20/20, since I made the mistake I am finding quite a few stories of faded plastics etc...from Superclean. I should have searched for that beforehand.
    Yeah, I agree.

Honest evaluations here on AGO from respected members are, to me, 100x better than anyone promoting/selling anything on the 'Tube...........

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100% Check out that youtube vid I linked to if you get a second. I mean 5:1 liberal spraying....."So safe" I just don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100% Check out that youtube vid I linked to if you get a second. I mean 5:1 liberal spraying....."So safe" I just don't get it.
    I think I'll pass on the vid.

I get enough nausea watching the "small engine super-hero mechanics" make a 20 minute video on an engine tear-down that could have been fixed with a carb adjustment tool..........

12. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast