autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

PVD Wheel Chroming

Hello,

Sorry if this is off topic. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with PVD Chroming of rims. IÂ’m thinking of getting this done on my rims and would like to hear any input before I get it done.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PVD Wheel Chroming

PVD Chrome is a powder coated chrome process and has a slight orange peel look to them. PVD Chrome will not pit, peel or corrode like true plated chrome wheels. PVD Chrome is much easier to maintain. I've never owned a set of PVD Chrome wheels, but have seen a few sets in person and I like them. PVD is usually offered in Chrome and Black Chrome.

3. Thanks driverman1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have PVD chrome and clear coated wheels from American Racing. One had a bubble pop up and ended up chipping. Another had a chip come off near a valve stem. First one was replaced under warranty, the second was on my dime.

Not sure I'd do it again.

Post Thanks / Like

I have factory PVD alum wheels on my F150 and love em. 5 years old, outside and not any issues at all

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopBlissGT View Post
    I have factory PVD alum wheels on my F150 and love em. 5 years old, outside and not any issues at all
    Bringing this thread back from purgatory

I am now the proud owner of a new-to-me 2018 F150 Lariat. The original window sticker lists "20" Chrome-Like PVD Wheels".

I love the wheels, but they need to be cleaned up and shined. Truck has 36K miles on it, and while the previous owner kept it clean, it definitely needs some TLC all-over.

Traditionally, I would have broken out the Nevr-Dull and some elbow grease to clean up a chrome wheel, before moving onto 0000 steel wool as-needed, but now I'm reading that these "chrome-like" PVD wheels are clearcoated, and harsh chemicals, abrasives, or polishes will ruin said clearcoat.

So do I treat them like any other clear-coated wheel? Iron-X, a decent wheel cleaner (I still prefer the Meg's Hot-Rims...always have), and a wax/ coating? I haven't had chrome wheels on a vehicle since the late 90's, and it's sounding like this one doesn't have "true" chrome either.
    ~Mike

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post

So do I treat them like any other clear-coated wheel? Iron-X, a decent wheel cleaner (I still prefer the Meg's Hot-Rims...always have), and a wax/ coating? I haven't had chrome wheels on a vehicle since the late 90's, and it's sounding like this one doesn't have "true" chrome either.

Forrest from Mothers is my go-to guy for this topic. Best approach is always,

Use the least aggressive process to get the job done

This product is specifically made to be safe for PVD chrome

Mothers California Gold All-Chrome Cleaner

Finally, a quick detail spray formulated specifically for chrome surfaces!

In one step Mothers California Gold All-Chrome Cleaner shines, polishes and protects any hard or decorative chrome finish, including chrome plating, PVD chrome, and even today's chromed plastics. This innovative spray-on, wipe-off polish makes it quick and easy to clean and enhance your wheels, trim and accessories. Use Mothers California Gold All-Chrome Cleaner to remove fingerprints, smudges, dust, bugs and even light water spots, leaving behind a protective coating to keep the chrome sparkling like new.

Chromed plastics is a trend that won't be disappearing any time soon, and even when it does there will still be MILLIONS of vehicles on the road that utilize this decorative material in their construction. Chromed plastics enhance the appearance of any vehicle, but nobody really knows how to clean, shine, and protect this unique material - until now! Mothers California Gold All-Chrome Cleaner shines, polishes and protects any hard or decorative chrome finish, including chromed plastics.

Real chrome is heavy and expensive, making it a less-than-ideal choice for any application outside of a heavy-duty pick up truck. That's precisely why so many manufacturers use chromed plastics instead of the real deal! Protect the chromed plastic trim on your vehicle with Mothers California Gold All-Chrome Cleaner.

Let's not forget about real chrome! There's still a lot of vehicles on the road today that feature real chrome trim, especially older trucks and classics. Mothers California Gold All-Chrome Cleaner will make it look new again!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike!

So ultimately, I guess I would just treat "PVD" Chrome like any other painted/ clear coated surface. I ended up using some Meguiars All-Wheel Cleaner (that has the iron decontaminating properties), letting it dwell and "bleed", light agitation with a wheel woolie, and rinse well, followed by some old Meguiars Gold Class wax I had sitting around (I know it'll be VERY temporary...just wanted to see how it would look with some wax on it).

PVD Wheel Chroming-img_20210419_111104-jpg

They look good! Much better than the "dealer prep" look. Not quite as "mirror finish" as I would like, but definitely shiny! I'd love to be able to truly polish these, but I suppose if the chrome substrate behind the clear coat isn't glassy smooth, then I may be S.O.L. other than some polishing of the clear coat itself.

Now I'm wondering if the running boards, bumpers, and exhaust tip are "real" chrome plating or clear coated PVD. Is there an easy way to tell?
    ~Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I have them on two sets of wheels I use in the winter with snow tires. Great for that because salt gets behind chrome and flakes.
    Look great from 3ft but they do scratch like paint. They have the previously mentioned orange peel finish, not wet finish like chrome. Yes they will chip and pit like real chrome wheels too.

The second photo shows a rim scratch from the tire mounters.

PVD Wheel Chroming-img_3683-jpg PVD Wheel Chroming-img_5065-jpg