autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Share useful and weird tips

As I was detailing today, a few weird things came into play, and as insignificant as they may be, I thought I'd share and then get you to share your insights about little tips, tricks, and lessons learned from the front lines. Ok, I'll go first.

Tip #1: lay out your garden hose first thing on the hot pavement before you start washing and you have nice warm water in the soap bucket.

#2: take those old sheepskin wool wash mitts (that have become obsolete now with a change to microfiber mitts) and use those to wash wheels. Wool can be scrunched and agitated on wheel while being gentle enough. Gives you enough cleaning power especially if you have sealed wheels but allows you to get in all crevices.

Interested in your experiences.

2. Likes Jay's 128i liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Share useful and weird tips

Buy one of the cheap folding plastic tables from Wal-Mart (about $40) to move around your work space. I use one to set the buffer down on, keep pads\compounds\drink nearby, etc.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Post Thanks / Like

To keep water hose and electric cords from getting stuck in tires, place full 5-gallon wash bucket as shield off car corner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some things I do (mostly already posted)

1. get 4 pieces of 2x4" and drive the car up on it when cleaning/dressing tires like this:

That way you can clean/dress the whole tire without having to roll the car around or drag your tools on the ground.

2. buy cheapo applicators from eBay for tire/trim dressing - or cut up a grout sponge. The eBay ones are like $4 delivered for 12 (at least when I bought them).

When your done with one - just throw it out. That way you always have a fresh & clean applicator.

3. if you are maintenance cleaning wheels, just put an ounce of an aggressive car wash soap in a 32oz spray bottle with a foaming sprayer and fill with water. You just made 32oz of mild wheel cleaner for under a dollar.

4. invest in foaming sprayers. They make almost any chemical that is "soapy" cling better to whatever you are using it on. Griots sells a pretty good one.

5. IMHO the best tools to clean wheel wells are Wheel Woolies. The get in areas on lower cars a brush can't
    even touch. No need to jack up the car or turn the tire.

6. when washing your car, turn your side mirror assemblies (if possible) so the glass faces downward. That way, water will start dripping out as soon as you are done rinsing and while you are drying - so it doesn't drip for hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

1. get 4 pieces of 2x4" and drive the car up on it when cleaning/dressing tires like this:

That way you can clean/dress the whole tire without having to roll the car around or drag your tools on the ground.

2. buy cheapo applicators from eBay for tire/trim dressing - or cut up a grout sponge. The eBay ones are like $4 delivered for 12 (at least when I bought them).

When your done with one - just throw it out. That way you always have a fresh & clean applicator.

3. if you are maintenance cleaning wheels, just put an ounce of an aggressive car wash soap in a 32oz spray bottle with a foaming sprayer and fill with water. You just made 32oz of mild wheel cleaner for under a dollar.

4. invest in foaming sprayers. They make almost any chemical that is "soapy" cling better to whatever you are using it on. Griots sells a pretty good one.

5. IMHO the best tools to clean wheel wells are Wheel Woolies. The get in areas on lower cars a brush can't
    even touch. No need to jack up the car or turn the tire.

6. when washing your car, turn your side mirror assemblies (if possible) so the glass faces downward. That way, water will start dripping out as soon as you are done rinsing and while you are drying - so it doesn't drip for hours.
    Lots of great advice here, thanks Swanic and #6 is definitely one I should have found because it is one of my biggest problems even with my metro sidekick. Next wash I will see how that goes.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

3 Pack Microfiber Applicator Pads

Love using these (I use a different, more cost effective one I get from another site) when I apply a cleaner or dressing. I prefer it over using a microfiber towel. I am able to hold it/handle it better.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Buy ONR - said ridiculous amount of times but it has so many uses not to have it. Use it for light cleaning on interior, use it as clay lube, use it for rinseless wash, use it as QD, use it to soften your rinse water on 2bucket wash

2. Tape off cracks and crevices when you are polishing - if you are only doing a section, try to tape off surrounding parts so polish dust won't fly in making post cleaning longer

3. Use a damp MF towel when drying, it absorbs water easier more than a dry MF towel. You can go over it with a dry towel after for buffing

4. Toss your polishing pads into a bucket filled with APC or plain water as you polish. I find whatever polish or compound build up I had can be clean off easier later on

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Use an AIO on MF folded over an old gift card (more flexible than a credit card) to clean/polish between cracks/seams that can't be reached by polisher. The AIO will provide cleaning ability, add protection and is easy to remove in the same manner with a clean part of the towel. This is particularly good on light colors where the dirt can stand out and detract from the appearance.

2. When polishing or compounding tape off where the side windows meet the trim/weather strip. Any compound/polish dust that gets caught between the rubber and the glass can cause streaking every time the window is rolled down.

3. Clean door jambs first so that any dirt isn't rinsed down onto clean paint. Rain channels of trunk should also be done first. Any leaves or pine needles can block water from draining away or continue to release dirt that drips out onto the rear bumper.

4. Move slowly when drying your car (with MF). The goal is to absorb the water, not push it across the paint. The more times you drag it across the paint the higher the chance of causing marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Clean interior glass using a vertical motion, exterior glass with a horizontal motion, or vice versa. That way, if you have streaks you know which side they are on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

Great idea!!

On the same plane, I picked this up from the car wash dudes in NYC, pre seeing the light here on AG..

I apply tire shine with a cheap 4' paint brush. I use a old Country Crock spread tub, pour 4/5oz in. Dip my paintbrush and wipe around couple times. The bristles also get into the bead where the tire and rim meets.

No waste, no fling....... I've had a .32 oz bottle of tire wet last about 6 months. (3cars)

I like the low gloss, so this works perfect for me. When done replace the top and done.

I trying those sponge applicators and they always get my fingers dirty.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast