autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Budget Mobile Detailing setup

Hey, what is a good budget and compact/portable mobile detailing setup that would work for a guy looking to work on his sleigh in a parking lot while wife grocery shops. How many gallons of water is sufficient to haul around for one detail?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Budget Mobile Detailing setup

1 gallon of water. Rinseless wash. small bucket.

But that's me in So Cal. No crazy freezing winters here where I'm at.

3. Likes PaulMys, JWilliams.RadiantDetail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you looking to do, detail-wise ? Just a wash, wash+shine, etc. ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    1 gallon of water. Rinseless wash. small bucket.

But that's me in So Cal. No crazy freezing winters here where I'm at.
    Yeah, sure. Rub it in.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in Upstate NY. We got winters. No garage. Shared driveway, but it’s gravel/mud so it’s a pain to wash in because there is mud everywhere. I have found that if I bring some Optimum Opticlean, a detail brush and a few microfibers I can do a decent job on the interior when I am in a parking lot waiting for the fam. Got me thinking about just working on the entire car. Would be cool to wash and maybe spray wax although depends on weather maybe just a rinseless wash and wax in winter with distilled water so I don’t need to follow up with spray wax or detail spray and microfiber. Looking for simplicity here, but some level of quality to the job but not lugging around 5 gallon buckets and a bunch of gear. I saw that dallas youtube guy using the worx hydroshot cordless pressure washer, but I am not crazy about that thing but in winter gotta at least rinse the car off before wash contact. Trying not to be ocd about this but that seems to be what is going on figured I’d ask around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyclef View Post
    I live in Upstate NY. We got winters. No garage. Shared driveway, but it’s gravel/mud so it’s a pain to wash in because there is mud everywhere. I have found that if I bring some Optimum Opticlean, a detail brush and a few microfibers I can do a decent job on the interior when I am in a parking lot waiting for the fam. Got me thinking about just working on the entire car. Would be cool to wash and maybe spray wax although depends on weather maybe just a rinseless wash and wax in winter with distilled water so I don’t need to follow up with spray wax or detail spray and microfiber. Looking for simplicity here, but some level of quality to the job but not lugging around 5 gallon buckets and a bunch of gear. I saw that dallas youtube guy using the worx hydroshot cordless pressure washer, but I am not crazy about that thing but in winter gotta at least rinse the car off before wash contact. Trying not to be ocd about this but that seems to be what is going on figured I’d ask around.
    I'm on Long Island, NY.

Not as harsh of winters as you have, but the best bet is to properly prepare the vehicle prior to winter, and be prepared to go long periods of time between real washes.

A rinseless/waterless wash on salt-caked paint can do more harm than good sometimes.

That said, a touchless wash/HydroShot at home is the best bet before touching the paint........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to do regular rinseless washes on my cars through the winter, but it can be a bit trickier than worth sometimes. I live in Illinois and we experience snow, followed by piles of salt with brine and then usually a deep freeze the next couple of days. I’ve been doing this for quite a few years now being apartment bound so hoping my procedure may help you, here goes!

I keep a small tool bag that has all my supplies(towels, spray bottles and chemicals) and a 5 gallon bucket with my rinseless mix ready to go. The products I keep in my bag are as follows:

-Spray bottle or Pressure Sprayer with waterless wash..
    -All Purpose Cleaner or Wheel Cleaner.
    -Spray wax/sealant of choice.
    -Tire dressing/shine and applicator.
    -Lots of multipurpose microfiber towels. (I use these to wipe down wheels/tires, exhaust tips, lower rocker area, bumpers etc. usually have about 5 or 6 on hand).
    -About 4 or 5 drying towels.
    -5 gallon bucket with a couple wash mits and wash mix.

I usually will do wheels tires and wheel wells first in these conditions. Not sure why but it’s worked well for me to knock them out and then proceed to the rest of the exterior.

1) Spray wheels, wells and tires with APC or wheel cleaner and then wipe down. This will basically dirty up one towel so I generally use 1 per wheel/tire, making for a total of 4 used per wash.
    2) Use pretreat waterless wash on panel and let dwell shortly.
    3) Use one mit to wash pretreated area.(usually use one for top 1/3 of car, one for middle 1/3 and another for the lower 1/3).
    4) Apply Spray wax/sealant as drying aid.
    5) Dry area with drying towel. (I don’t use my best towels for this.) Reason being, they will be picking up a lot of dirt and keep my best for when I’m able to do a hose wash or during warmer months. I have been using some decent ones from Chemical Guys, yellow 16x24. I think a 6 pack was around $20. I plan on tossing them after winter or regulating to jamb or wheel duty when I’m done with them.
    6)Repeat steps 2-5 until car is finished.
    7)Apply tire dressing and any final touches.

That’s it!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

9. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How cold out can I use a Spray Wax? If I use ONR Wash and Wax (The green stuff) is that safe below freezing or will it streak up?

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a couple of buckets with gamma seal lids. You can fill them to the top and easily transport them anywhere. For a rinseless wash, you can fill one 5 gallon bucket and bring an empty rinse bucket. 3 gallons of water is enough for the rinseless wash and 2 gallons of water is enough for the rinse bucket. For harsh salt conditions, one 5 gallon bucket and a Worx Hydroshot should be enough to rinse the vehicle. Then you can do the rinseless wash. I speak from experience as I have done this many times while my wife is in the outlet stores.

12. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can still work in below freezing conditions but make sure that the surface of the vehicle you are working on is in direct sunlight. Anything in the shade will freeze up on the surface. I have worked in 25 degree temperatures without a problem. 20 degrees or below is a problem even in direct sunlight. Get yourself some ice fishing gloves to protect your hands. You can dip your hands directly in ice water and they will stay warm and dry.

14. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes PEAD19 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast