autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newb — need help with weird haze on metallic trim :)

Hello, I need help. 2 year old car (G80). How do I clean this metallic window trim?

The trim on top of window is fine, trim on bottom of window (and the rear-most corner) has like a haze / film on it.

I was thinking I could try optimum power clean but don’t want to risk messing anything up.

Also, any advice on product to polish out the swirls in the black trim panel in image 219?

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb — need help with weird haze on metallic trim :)

That looks like water mineral deposits. Powerclean won't hurt it but I don't think it will remove either.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by inkwell84 View Post

Hello, I need help. 2 year old car (G80). How do I clean this metallic window trim?

The trim on top of window is fine, trim on bottom of window (and the rear-most corner) has like a haze / film on it.

I was thinking I could try optimum power clean but don’t want to risk messing anything up.

Also, any advice on product to polish out the swirls in the black trim panel in image 219?

First - Because this is your first post here,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Second - for our regular members, I hate to sound like a broken record as I recommend this product a lot but it's not to sell you on it, it's because it's so damn capable.

Here's one of your pictures

I've cropped this area out as it shows the staining really well.

That's anodized aluminum trim. The Engineers (note the word engineers is plural), for all the car manufacturers in the world that came up with the genius idea to use anodized aluminum trim on cars should all be forced to fly to all their car buyers homes and fix this problem.

And for the most part - it either cannot be fixed or I've only seen it fixed one time and that's when I fixed it.

I found this on an Audi. I used,

1. RUPES Nano Long Neck in rotary mode
    2. LC microfiber cutting pad
    3. BLACKFIRE One Step

It took me about an hour for each side to carefully buff the trim out and remove the staining. Nothing else I've ever tried worked. I was COMPLETELY surprised this worked.

Note: I also tried by hand it and I was able to remove and improve the appearance, but it would have taken forever.

My guess is you could do this will all types of "small" tools with small backing plates that will hold small microfiber pads - but the product was what worked the magic.

AND - the BF One Step will also fix the Piano Black plastic pillars with ease. Just use an orbital with a soft foam "polishing" pad.

I teach all of the above in my classes by the way.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    First - Because this is your first post here,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Second - for our regular members, I hate to sound like a broken record as I recommend this product a lot but it's not to sell you on it, it's because it's so damn capable.

Here's one of your pictures

I've cropped this area out as it shows the staining really well.

That's anodized aluminum trim. The Engineers (note the word engineers is plural), for all the car manufacturers in the world that came up with the genius idea to use anodized aluminum trim on cars should all be forced to fly to all their car buyers homes and fix this problem.

And for the most part - it either cannot be fixed or I've only seen it fixed one time and that's when I fixed it.

I found this on an Audi. I used,

1. RUPES Nano Long Neck in rotary mode
    2. LC microfiber cutting pad
    3. BLACKFIRE One Step

It took me about an hour for each side to carefully buff the trim out and remove the staining. Nothing else I've ever tried worked. I was COMPLETELY surprised this worked.

Note: I also tried by hand it and I was able to remove and improve the appearance, but it would have taken forever.

My guess is you could do this will all types of "small" tools with small backing plates that will hold small microfiber pads - but the product was what worked the magic.

AND - the BF One Step will also fix the Piano Black plastic pillars with ease. Just use an orbital with a soft foam "polishing" pad.

I teach all of the above in my classes by the way.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Anything I can do to prevent this from happening after I correct it?

Edit: Oh man. That tool is so expensive. I do not have $360 for this! Any chance for a recommendation of a cheaper alternative suitable for a regular joe who isn’t a pro running a detailing shop? Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    There were two reasons that we went with anodization. First and foremost - hexavalent chrome. Hex chrome is one of the most toxic compounds known to man, and we are still dealing with the aftermath of its use today.

Green slime on I-696 in Michigan: Chromium-6 came from this factory

Second, trim was being changed from stainless steel to aluminum for several reasons - it is cheaper, lighter, and way easier to form (which also saves on tooling costs and increases tool life). And since aluminum cannot be chrome-plated due to galvanic corrosion naturally occuring between chrome and aluminum, there was no other choice for a "bright/natural" finish for aluminum trim.

So, if anyone is to blame for anodized aluminum trim, it would be the EPA and the bean counters, not us engineers. Nobody ever listens to us anyways.

As for the OP's predicament, I had a similar issue on one of our vehicles and used the BF One Step on Mike's suggestion. And I was able to realize a good correction with hand application using a foam pad. Of course depending on the severity of the condition, a polisher may be needed as indicated by Mike.

7. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. engineer, what do I do to prevent reoccurrence?

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. engineer, what do I do to prevent reoccurrence?
    The best thing is to keep it clean and well-protected with a sealant or coating. Be sure to dry it well when washing to prevent water spotting. Above all, try to prevent scratching and nicking because that could break through the anodized "hard coat" and can lead to corrosion. Samo for using any kind of harsh abrasive on anodized aluminum. The "hard coat" is actually an oxide that is meant to protect against scratching and corrosion, but it has its limits.

10. Likes mdbenge, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Anything I can do to prevent this from happening after I correct it?

Edit: Oh man. That tool is so expensive. I do not have $360 for this! Any chance for a recommendation of a cheaper alternative suitable for a regular joe who isn’t a pro running a detailing shop? Thank you!!
    Try going over it by hand with a foam applicator and a polish and see if that helps.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

So, if anyone is to blame for anodized aluminum trim, it would be the EPA and the bean counters, not us engineers. Nobody ever listens to us anyways.
    Apologies for painting with such a broad stroke of the brush. I should have known there were other reasons for the transitions and changes.

I am the guy that’s been answering this question fo more car owners than I can remember and it’s never rewarding.

13. Likes SWETM liked this post