autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating Maintenance

So I applied CQuartz UK 3.0 and topped it with Gliss.

I've washed it about 3 times since then in a months time.
    I'm noticing a big reduction in slickness and some reduction in hydrophobic effects.
    Most washes I used carpro reset. The last time I used the wax shops cherry snow foam.

I used 2 bucket method with dirt traps.
    I used no less than 2 mitts carefully washing top to bottom and using the second Mitt for lower panels.

I was drying using a leaf blower. I didnt touch it with a towel until the last wash.
    Could my Korean wash mitt from the rag company be to blame? When I first bought it I used high heat to dry before I learned about proper towel washing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Maintenance

I see you’re in Chicago. Salt and brine from the roads will contaminate a coating during the winter months. Applying some iron-x and giving the car a good wash with Reset in the spring should help bring back the properties you think are disappearing now. If properly installed that combo of coatings should last about 2 years. You can top it with Elixir after each wash.
    Bruno Soares

3. Thanks Reuben Brumby thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I see you’re in Chicago. Salt and brine from the roads will contaminate a coating during the winter months. Applying some iron-x and giving the car a good wash with Reset in the spring should help bring back the properties you think are disappearing now. If properly installed that combo of coatings should last about 2 years. You can top it with Elixir after each wash.
    I've heard a lot of people say I should use elixir over reload. I'll go and pickup some tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I’d be disappointed...

Post Thanks / Like

Naw, I'd say you didn't cause any damage, Carpro CQ UK is pretty tough stuff.

There's a number of ways you could go. I used to be a big fan of Carpro Reload way back, before the number of various re-formulations created a product I no longer trust to use personally. Yeah, it still works, but, there's others out there.

Others that might be easier to work with, but perhaps will still only provide short term results.

Such as Blackfire Coating Booster, or Blackfire SIO2 Spray. There's a multitude of such products now available. Both here and abroad.

I think whatever you top CQ UK with, you won't hurt it. You'll know when CQ UK is gone

IMO, you'll get basically similar results from all. Unless you're willing to decon, prep, and do another coat of Gliss? Or their "Lite" product? Never used such, or Gliss.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the hydrophobic performance from it uniform all over your paint?

Try to check with a good light if you have marred your paint. A parking lot or gas station where they have that orange kind of light is actually pretty good to see the light defects on the paint. This way you know if it's the wash mitts that are something wrong with. Did all of your wash mitts got washed in high heat? And do they feel coarse in any way than when it where new? These kind of wash mitts if it's those with long and short mf in blue and white. Is usually very durable and a wash or 2 I don't think would be a problem. One thing that mf don't like is high heat in the tumble dryer. Also in the longrun if you have a HE washer and you have the centrifuge setting of over 800-900rpm. They mf fibers can be streched out and loose it's performance that way but this is after many washes.

And since you live in an environment where you road salt and maybe brine on the roads. It can be something that could knock down the Gliss top performance a notch. I have had interest to test out the Gliss top coating. But it's impossible to have that during the winter months here in Sweden. We get a lot of tar spots and also like a mix in the road film with tar and oils and road salt and other contaminants that gets all over the vehicals. So usually if you are not being able to wash in more than 3 weeks. You need to be useing a tar remover as a pretreatment to desolve this layer of contaminants. The problem is that Gliss has some kind of oil based glossenhancers in it. Which Carpro them self says that TarX desolves these from Gliss. So even if you use Reset you may have a very little build up of a road film that change the hydrophobic caractics of Gliss. Since it's so high performance from it it don't need much of contaminants to be noticeble changed. Since road salt also is pretty good to desolve oil based dirt this could degrade the performance from Gliss faster in your environment. Have not been looking on the domestic forum for while but will go in there and see if anyone here in Sweden has Gliss on their vehicals and how their experience is.

Do you wash your car useing a PW? The water pressure from the PW and the flow from it is very helpfull to use in the prewash step. It's not necessary to be useing a prewash foam and you can just spraying on a weak dilution of an alkaline degreaser. Some APCs have surfactans that's not so easy to be rinsed off. So an alkaline degreaser that's more for paints or an APC that it's easy to be rinsed off. Something like Carpro MultiX diluted to 1:20 in pump pressure spray bottle or spray bottle or in your foamcannon bottle 1:5-1:10 don't use it if you have anodized aluminum as it will stain and etch it easly. Gtechnic W4 Citrus Foam is a great prewash foam or even used in a spray bottle. It's more gentle on the alkaline ph level and if not ph neutral even and citrus based is effective to desolve the road film. The dirt these kind of products don't take off it's usually loosen them up good so the dirt releases easier in the contact wash. 2-3 wipes over a section you wash with those kind of wash media you have and Carpro Reset car soap properly diluted in 1:500 and an easy way is to use 1oz to 4 gallons of water. Is enough for me when I use Reset when I wash the car. And no pressure on the wash mitt and the vertical panels just so you don't drop it. Many use these mf wash mitts as wash pads but put it on your hand and you can adjust the pressure on it even less this way. Another tips since I think that you wash with the 2bm. Is before you rinse the wash mitt in the rinse bucket wring it out thoroughly outside of the the rinse bucket and then rinse the wash mitt in it after that. With wringing it out, much of the dirt in the wash mitt releases and you get less of a risk to get it into the wash bucket and on the paint again. I like to use multible mf wash mitts and mf wash pads. And 5 for the whole car and then 1-2 extra for the rocker panels and the lowest parts of the car. I leave about 2 width of the wash mitt size from the lowest part I wash and up. When you have it dialed in it just flows through the wash. Just some friendly tips and how I wash a winter dirty car. But you may be even more gentle than I am LOL. It can be usefull to hear how others do and try if it's something that you like or not.

And as mentioned above the Carpro Elixir seems to be a great option to go with to top it up if the Gliss performance has lost it's top performance. But I don't think that Gliss would lost much of it's performance from when you applyied it a month ago. Especially when you have washed it 3 times too. Is the water harder to blow off with the leafblower since you first washed it or how do you see the less water behavior since you applyied the CQUK and Gliss? Sometimes if the weather gets lower temperature it can impact the water behavior to a little notch lower if you have had such of weather.

/ Tony

8. Thanks Reuben Brumby thanked for this post
    Likes Reuben Brumby, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    You'll know when CQ UK is gone
    How will it be any different from what he’s seeing now? Or what will be the obvious can’t miss indication?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there Reload on it? If so Reload can be messing with the water behavior. I'm going into my second winter with CQUK 3.0 and if applied properly it will last you a long time. If you feel your seeing major degradation in only a month then it wasn't applied properly, we've had minimal if any salt applied so far so I highly doubt the coating is contaminated that quickly.

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    How will it be any different from what he’s seeing now? Or what will be the obvious can’t miss indication?
    You'll notice swirling and fine scratches occurring after washes. That means it's gone, nothing left to protect.

Time to whip out the DA, re-correct, strip, start all over.

Post Thanks / Like

Heard the same about reload messing with the coating but assumed they’d fix right now. I had the same issues with my cquk3 and was going to maintenance wash followed by iron and tar X.

Being so newly coated tho id recommend two products that ive recently had lick with clearing up road film clogging up the coating:

1st Mckees coating prep wash.

I foamed let dwell rinsed and then foamed and washed panel at actime with MF mitt. Cleaned it right up and saved me alot of iron and tar X.

2nd Fenylab Pure rinseless

it seems to remove everything to expose bar coating. Feel it will be a Great product if reapplying topper like elixir after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Thanks Reuben Brumby thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast