autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by bolts View Post
    is it necessary to top any ceramic coating with a topper like reload? what happens if you never do? i think why need to top might as well not put the ceramic coat on to begin with will you not just be getting the topper?
    Not required. People like to protect the protection but then you’re really not benefiting from the superior product underneath. I don’t top my coating and it’s been fine for 15 months now.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

is it necessary to top any ceramic coating with a topper like reload? what happens if you never do? i think why need to top might as well not put the ceramic coat on to begin with will you not just be getting the topper?
    No but people like touching their paint. If a coating needs to be continuously topped then that is a coating I would not invest my time or money in.

It is also part of these companies cashing in on these so called “maintenance products”. Not to mention that these toppers don’t compare in the overall performance to the coating in terms of self cleaning, water beading and water sheeting.

I’m on Cquartz both versions at 18 months and they have slowly degraded. I didn’t top it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    No but people like touching their paint. If a coating needs to be continuously topped then that is a coating I would not invest my time or money in.

It is also part of these companies cashing in on these so called “maintenance products”. Not to mention that these toppers don’t compare in the overall performance to the coating in terms of self cleaning, water beading and water sheeting.

I’m on Cquartz both versions at 18 months and they have slowly degraded. I didn’t top it.
    With everyone talking about topping their coating i thought it was necessary which i find that hard to believe.

Post Thanks / Like

With everyone talking about topping their coating i thought it was necessary which i find that hard to believe.
    Definitely not necessary. 2 reasons i do it is to add more pop/gloss. You can probably get that from a wax though. Then my hope is that when i try to remove road film with an APC or prep wash the topper is getting the brunt of it.

I have no idea if the second one is a thing but it helps me justify topping. Mines a daily driver that gets garaged. Most see 2 years out of Cquk3.0 so ill see if i get anymore life out of it... probably not....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Brumby View Post
    I've heard a lot of people say I should use elixir over reload. I'll go and pickup some tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    you can make your own exlilir for a lot cheaper. Onr/reload with distilled water. Ive been using it for a drying aid lately and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ech2O is another drying aid/wipe down product which works well with coatings. With Ech2O you don't have to play chemist and mix other products. Simply dilute 20:1 and you're ready. I really like it for all my QD duties on coated vehicles. Primarily odd spot-cleans like fingerprints and bug bombs and getting rid of water spots after a wash.

I have a bottle of Elixir and have only tried it once under unfavorable conditions. However, from the one application it did seem to leave more gloss than Ech2O and similar slickness to the surface.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes Eldorado2k, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy some ech20. Mix with reload. Was an idea a detailer (merlin on AG?) cane up with and is the inspiration for Car Pros Elixer.

I just lowered dilution to 2.5oz Ech20, 1oz clutch (reload type sio2 spray) 1oz hydro 2 lite. Only add the hydro lite because i have it. Would normally use 1.5oz sio2 spray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Buy some ech20. Mix with reload. Was an idea a detailer (merlin on AG?) cane up with and is the inspiration for Car Pros Elixer.
    I believe you’re referring to Mike Moore? Here’s a link to 1 of his recent/active threads.

2019 Lexus LS 500h - A Miracle Detailing - Cquartz Finest Reserve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I believe you’re referring to Mike Moore? Here’s a link to 1 of his recent/active threads.

Yes, must be him as that is his thread i believe on AutopiA too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123