autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Heavy Film On Car

Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of research with regards to detailing. I've kept my car pretty clean. I would like to wash my grandmother's car but would like some tips. It's an 05 Sentra and probably hasn't had a real hand wash in years, if ever. She maybe went through an auto wash 5 months ago and it sits outside day and night but not under trees.

It has a heavy road/environmental film over the entire car and I'm looking for the least aggressive way to try to get this film off. I will attach pictures but it may not do it justice. I was thinking about using a citrus degreaser @ 10:1 ratio with a couple drops of car soap and go panel by panel wiping and rinsing right after, then hand wash the entire car. Then eventually clay, polish, etc..

Please let me know what methods/products you guys may suggest to remove the film for a car that hasn't been hand washed in forever.

Thank you so much!
    Heavy Film On Car-20191005_131411_resized-jpgHeavy Film On Car-20191005_131413_resized-jpgHeavy Film On Car-20191005_131405_resized-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heavy Film On Car

Quote Originally Posted by xstatic View Post
    I was thinking about using a citrus degreaser
    @ 10:1 ratio
    with a couple drops of car soap
    and go panel by panel wiping and rinsing right
    after, then hand wash the entire car.

Then eventually clay, polish, etc..

Please let me know what methods/products
    you guys may suggest to remove the film for
    a car that hasn't been hand washed in forever.
    •That’s what I do—almost to the letter.
    -Only difference (maybe) is that I roll
    with P21S’ TAW @1:10.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xstatic View Post
    Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of research with regards to detailing. I've kept my car pretty clean. I would like to wash my grandmother's car but would like some tips. It's an 05 Sentra and probably hasn't had a real hand wash in years, if ever. She maybe went through an auto wash 5 months ago and it sits outside day and night but not under trees.

It has a heavy road/environmental film over the entire car and I'm looking for the least aggressive way to try to get this film off. I will attach pictures but it may not do it justice. I was thinking about using a citrus degreaser @ 10:1 ratio with a couple drops of car soap and go panel by panel wiping and rinsing right after, then hand wash the entire car. Then eventually clay, polish, etc..

Please let me know what methods/products you guys may suggest to remove the film for a car that hasn't been hand washed in forever.

Thank you so much!
    Heavy Film On Car-20191005_131411_resized-jpgHeavy Film On Car-20191005_131413_resized-jpgHeavy Film On Car-20191005_131405_resized-jpg
    Sounds like a plan. Don't be to concened about removing all the film as claying and polishing will take care of that problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Heavy Film On Car

Yeah degreaser or Apc. Start 10-1 and go heavier if that doesnt work. If you have foam cannon spray and let dwell couple of minutes.

Look into griots surface prep soap also. Its made to remove road film waxes and sealants exposing bare paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any degreaser or APC can remove film but you need to be careful to not let it dry on paint.
    Other option is to use non pH neutral soap.
    Another option is to use soap which contain abrasives like Meguiar's Wash Plus or Sonax Wash & Polish.