autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rupes Mille

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Mille

What is the best way or circumstances to use a mille.

I'm building my arsenal and Im considering adding a Rupes mille.
    I recently got to use one and I like how it cuts fast and doesn't stall.

My stall happy G9 was very frustrating to use on hard Volkswagen paint.

I want to know the best way to use it for 1 steps, and how to use it as a finishing tool for finishing in multi stage corrections.

I'm also considering a Rupes mark 3. I'm just concerned about stalling.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Mille

I have know experience with either but the Mille is a direct drive where the machine powers the orbit and the spinning. The mark 3 will still stall although will be a lot less with proper technique.

Been thinking about direct drive and from research on here and AG forum most seem to prefer the flex. Nice thing about them too is if AG has a tool sale you can use on a flex but not a Rupes. I’m sure the Mille is a good machine though, probably personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Mille

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Brumby View Post

I'm building my arsenal and Im considering adding a Rupes mille.
    I recently got to use one and I like how it cuts fast and doesn't stall.

My stall happy G9 was very frustrating to use on hard Volkswagen paint.

I want to know the best way to use it for 1 steps, and how to use it as a finishing tool for finishing in multi stage corrections.

I'm also considering a Rupes mark 3. I'm just concerned about stalling.

I have both the LHR15 MK III and Mille.

The Mille + RUPES Mille Yellow Pad is a great start for a One Step/AIO. With the newly released UNO Protect, I am certain you find yourself impressed with the results. It didn’t me long to fall in love with the Mille. On a Porsche door panel, with even minor curves, the Mille doesn’t mess around. It powered through the job with way less effort than the LHR15.

The same Porsche the LHR15 did fine otherwise.

With both machines, I own both RUPES Coarse and Medium Wool Pads. Additionally, I have all the corresponding blue and yellow foam pads from RUPES as well.

In terms of liquids, I have Zephir and Keramik and absolutely adore them. While there are so many chemicals out now, I always fall back to these. They finish remarkably. Used it during a multi-step correction many times with no regrets.

The Mille is excellent at cleaning up edges while the LHR15 was capable of doing most of the heavy lifting. Personally, the LHR15 is a nice additional, but has a learning curve. If I was to train someone how to polish, I would teach on the Mille first, you don’t have to think or adjust. It just goes.

The LHR15 requires more technique. But it doesn’t stall as much as most will lead you to believe. Just remember it is a free spinning tool. Of course it will stall. What I like about the stalling is when I am going up against a dangerously thin body line, it will stall. And it is actually a protection to make me think to take it easy around these areas. Paint is so thin on these areas that one time, a clay mitt took off paint in these areas. Brand new BMW ALSO. So I guess interpret this however you want. It was a one time thing. Lesson learned.

Anyway,

When my first LHR15 + Mini got stolen, I first replaced it with a Mille and Nano iBrid. Then I added the LHR15 and mini back into my life. But during the time in between. The Mille and nano performed all the tasks that I wanted done. The free spinning tools have its place. But it was truly not necessary.

Best wishes! Hopes this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Thanks Reuben Brumby thanked for this post
    Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I have know experience with either but the Mille is a direct drive where the machine powers the orbit and the spinning. The mark 3 will still stall although will be a lot less with proper technique.

Been thinking about direct drive and from research on here and AG forum most seem to prefer the flex. Nice thing about them too is if AG has a tool sale you can use on a flex but not a Rupes. I’m sure the Mille is a good machine though, probably personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here is my take on this one. The Flex truly is a Beast. But the Mille is an excellent choice, especially how it feels so familiar if you already know what a Bigfoot feels like.

Coming from a Bigfoot background, I LOVE my Mille. I’ll never forget the first time I used one. It was a no brainer. If your going to get the Mille, you ATLEAST need to try a small bottle of the Mille chemicals designed for it. It’s a dream to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

6. Thanks Reuben Brumby thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack, Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Brumby View Post

Anytime you want to do major correction work.

Anytime you want to avoid pad stalling when buffing cureved panels or buffing next to edges and raised body lines.

I'd recommend the 150mm or in U.S. terms, the 6" backing plate and then use the matching Mille pads and chemicals. The tool comes with both backing plates, my personal observation and the observations I've made of the people that take my detailing classes is the larger backing plate and pads are smoother to buff with.

8. Thanks Reuben Brumby thanked for this post
    Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More...

When you took my Wax Shoppe Roadshow Class, did you test out the RUPES Mille?

Pictures and Comments- Roadshow Class at The Wax Shop

I brought them....

As well as the BEAST and the CBEAST.

The Wax Shoppe class was a one-day class instead of my normal 2-day roadshow classes, so less time to spend on all the tools I brought, (which was a lot).

10. Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    More...

When you took my Wax Shoppe Roadshow Class, did you test out the RUPES Mille?

Pictures and Comments- Roadshow Class at The Wax Shop

I brought them....

As well as the BEAST and the CBEAST.

The Wax Shoppe class was a one-day class instead of my normal 2-day roadshow classes, so less time to spend on all the tools I brought, (which was a lot).

Yes I did. I liked it more than the Beast. I just didn't spend the time on that one as it was my was first time using polishers. I was trying to get my hands on as many as I could that day!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Anytime you want to do major correction work.

Anytime you want to avoid pad stalling when buffing cureved panels or buffing next to edges and raised body lines.

I'd recommend the 150mm or in U.S. terms, the 6" backing plate and then use the matching Mille pads and chemicals. The tool comes with both backing plates, my personal observation and the observations I've made of the people that take my detailing classes is the larger backing plate and pads are smoother to buff with.

It seems counterintuitive that a bigger pad would be smoother. What's the explanation for that?

Post Thanks / Like

I've kicked around such for a while, of upping and refining my game, hopefully selling off a couple other tools I have, and buying the Rupes Mille.

I like many features of the Mille, and think they'd be a good personal fit for myself. Clockwise Rotation, comes equipped stock with a 29' Cord, and comes with two Backing Plates, 5" and 6". Since I have tons of 5.5" Pads, the Rupes seems like the way to go. Shorter throw than the Flex 3401, but the Mille is also said to be a little smoother, and quieter, and less prone to heat at the Head of the Tool.

Whether the Mille is as durable as the Flex, that might be debatable? I myself am not hard on Tools, I'm not a professional Detailer that such a machine would be getting hard workouts on a daily basis.

A couple questions that I have, and it is in regards to the Mille's attachment and coupling of the Backing Plate? Firstly, it appears that the Backing Plate on the Mille does not possess Gear Teeth like the 3401, is this correct?

Secondly, I believe I remember mention (by Mike Phillips) when he showcased the Flex 3401VRG in a video, that there is a Felt Ring on the 3401's Shroud that needs periodic Lubrication with a grease, correct? Is this also true of the Mille? I'm guessing no.

Is the Backing Plate of the Mille in constant contact with the Shroud like the Flex 3401? Or is there space?
    TIA

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is to also look at the Flex 3401. I'll outline more later when I have time but I've also left some reviews over under the Rupes Forum Section. Long story short, the Flex has proven itself more of a "beast" in terms of reliability thus if you're going to use it a lot, I'd go Flex. I love my Mille as it's smooth for sure but I have had a couple issues with it and I question it's long term reliability.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

15. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast