autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rupes Mille

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Mille

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    My suggestion is to also look at the Flex 3401. I'll outline more later when I have time but I've also left some reviews over under the Rupes Forum Section. Long story short, the Flex has proven itself more of a "beast" in terms of reliability thus if you're going to use it a lot, I'd go Flex. I love my Mille as it's smooth for sure but I have had a couple issues with it and I question it's long term reliability.
    Thanks for the info, and looking forward to hear more when you have time. I am close to buying the new upgraded 3401 supa beast.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, who could pass up a great sale today with 25% off and free shipping over $100.

So, I just ordered fifteen 5.5" Rupes Mille Foam Polishing Pads.

So, as Doctor Emmet L. Brown in "Back to the Future" once said, "Do you know what this means?!"

Yep, it means I am going to buy a Rupes Mille Polisher! (Hey, you only go round once!)

I don't need the Mille Polisher right this minute, but I'll buy all piecemeal eventually and go with a complete Rupes System.

Of course I'll also try all the Rupes Mille Polishes specified for this Tool and Pads.

3. Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Brumby View Post
    What is the best way or circumstances to use a mille.

I'm building my arsenal and Im considering adding a Rupes mille.
    I recently got to use one and I like how it cuts fast and doesn't stall.

My stall happy G9 was very frustrating to use on hard Volkswagen paint.

I want to know the best way to use it for 1 steps, and how to use it as a finishing tool for finishing in multi stage corrections.

I'm also considering a Rupes mark 3. I'm just concerned about stalling.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    The mark 3 doesn't stall at all compared to any other long throw. It's quite impressive to me. I haven't used the mille but I use a flex and it is indispensable. The flex and the mark 3 are the dream team. The flex has a learning curve and its easier to get used to if you use the 5.5 hybrid pads.

The millie polishes are worth mentioning they are also impressive. I use them on the flex. They're made for forced rotation. They don't work as well on the long throw.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of these shorter stroke gear driven polishers. While they vibrate less than a Flex 3401, they will jerk you around worse. Strange, I know, but this is my opinion. Mark III 15 all day long. Learn the correct technique and it won't stall(within reason). With a long throw, you DO need at least a mini 3" polisher. An iBrid style polisher if you're really looking to fine tune. With a gear driven, sometime you only need that tool, but it's best to have a 3" mini as well.
    '03 Corvette Z06

6. Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    I'm not a fan of these shorter stroke gear driven polishers. While they vibrate less than a Flex 3401, they will jerk you around worse. Strange, I know, but this is my opinion. Mark III 15 all day long. Learn the correct technique and it won't stall(within reason). With a long throw, you DO need at least a mini 3" polisher. An iBrid style polisher if you're really looking to fine tune. With a gear driven, sometime you only need that tool, but it's best to have a 3" mini as well.
    Not sure how that could be with slightly smaller orbital stroke of the Rupes Mille? That they'll jerk you around more?

Is it because "possibly" the Mille trades and compensates with higher rotation speeds for the smaller stroke? Just asking?

Wouldn't the long stroke Tools by Rupes and others, at 15mm and 21mm be even much worse in this regard?

Not saying that what you say isn't true, because after studying into the Rupes Mille System, they appear to acknowledge this, and have formulated specific Pads, Polishes and Comoounds to team with the Mille to make the machine easier to use, with smoother operation.

Have you experienced the Mille with their specific House Pads and Polishes?

8. Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Not sure how that could be with slightly smaller orbital stroke of the Rupes Mille? That they'll jerk you around more?

Is it because "possibly" the Mille trades and compensates with higher rotation speeds for the smaller stroke? Just asking?

Wouldn't the long stroke Tools by Rupes and others, at 15mm and 21mm be even much worse in this regard?

Not saying that what you say isn't true, because after studying into the Rupes Mille System, they appear to acknowledge this, and have formulated specific Pads, Polishes and Comoounds to team with the Mille to make the machine easier to use, with smoother operation.

Have you experienced the Mille with their specific House Pads and Polishes?
    Stroke size or speed has nothing to do with jerking you around. It's the gear driven action that dictates jerking around. Any free spinning DA will have less pull than any gear driven polisher. I bought the Mille, their pads, polishes and ended up selling it. Didn't like it. If I had to go gear driven, I like the Flex 3401 better, which I still have. The Super Beast looks even better. At the end of the day, the Rupes 15 or 21 is definitely smoother and more controllable than the Mille or any gear driven DA.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Stroke size or speed has nothing to do with jerking you around. It's the gear driven action that dictates jerking around. Any free spinning DA will have less pull than any gear driven polisher. I bought the Mille, their pads, polishes and ended up selling it. Didn't like it. If I had to go gear driven, I like the Flex 3401 better, which I still have. The Super Beast looks even better. At the end of the day, the Rupes 15 or 21 is definitely smoother and more controllable than the Mille or any gear driven DA.
    I deeply thank you for your opinions and hands on experiences with the Rupes Mille.

I know absolutely nothing about the new Flex "Supa Beast", but I have just canceled the order for the Mille Pads. Appears I have succeeded, the Pads had not yet shipped.

I concluded after your input that I may have made a decision in haste, and wish to learn some more about the new Flex tool before committing to another Polisher, especially in this price range.

I'm sure as time passes, more info about the Supa Beast will become available, that I'll be able to make a more sound decision.

Thank you again for your time and comments, Happy New Year to you!

11. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I deeply thank you for your opinions and hands on experiences with the Rupes Mille.

I know absolutely nothing about the new Flex "Supa Beast", but I have just canceled the order for the Mille Pads. Appears I have succeeded, the Pads had not yet shipped.

I concluded after your input that I may have made a decision in haste, and wish to learn some more about the new Flex tool before committing to another Polisher, especially in this price range.

I'm sure as time passes, more info about the Supa Beast will become available, that I'll be able to make a more sound decision.

You got it, Mark. I'm Mark as well. Gear driven polishers are fantastic because you NEVER have to worry about pad stall. However, the polishing experience is not nearly as enjoyable as a free spinning DA. Remember, this is my opinion, but there's many others that will agree with me as well, and some that won't. The best option would be to have a long throw and gear driven DA. However, when spending that kind of money, make 100% sure in your choice. You may go back and decide to purchase the Mille, but I'd suggest looking into the Super Beast as well. I don't know for sure, but I bet you Mike Phillips would take the Super Beast over the Mille. Happy New Year!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

The milli pads are super thin especially compared to the flex hybrid pads. I don't like them at all buy also have not used them on the millie

Mike Phillips

I'm not a fan of these shorter stroke gear driven polishers. While they vibrate less than a Flex 3401, they will jerk you around worse.
    I'm vindicated. NOTE: I made the letter "S" in the word polishers in Mark's above sentence BOLD. I don't want anyone to think I'm picking on a brand, I'm just talking about my experience with a "type" of tool and the type is the two brands of 5mm gear-driven orbitals on the market because I've experienced this characteristic with both brands.

I've posted this numerous times on this forum and not to downplay the Mille or the Makita PO5000C, which we no longer sell due to low demand, (same orbit stroke length so same action), but to let people know one of the characteristics of this style of tool.

On a flat surface, all tools are smooth, (in context of "tools"), but when using a 5mm gear-driven orbital and moving the face of the pad held flat to the surface of a given plane, to a curved panel, (transisitionin the face of the pad from one plane to a new and different angled plane, the tool will exhibit a jerking or hopping reaction. This happens with the FLEX 3401 too by the way it's just not as noticeable once you're experienced with the BEAST.

Just to discuss, let me start with documenting some history.

I posted my review for the Mille on 12-22-2017, 12:16 PM, which is shorty after it was introduced at the normal place most new tools are introduced and that's SEMA, which always takes place the FIRST week of November. So generally speaking, I posted my review 5 weeks after the tool was introduced in 2017.

To this date, I'm pretty sure it's the most picture-intensive review to date. Maybe someone can find a more documented picture and text review somewhere else?

Review: RUPES BIGFOOT MILLE LK 900E by Mike Phillips

The RUPES BIGFOOT MILLE LK 900E Gear-Driven Orbital Polisher

Fast-forward 5 months and I held a free detailing class and is my norm, I let everyone use whatever they want to use.

Posted: 05-23-2018, 09:24 PM

700 HP Hennessy Vette and Jeep Cherokee - Waxed and Coated

Here's my friend and 3-day class alumni Edson, testing out the RUPES Mille on this old 2-door Chevy. He's using the 125mm backing plate with the 140mm pads, for us non-metric folks, that's a 5" backing plate with a 5.5" pad. He comments to me about the tool pulling him around as he's buffing on the front of the Vette.

So I stepped in to see what was taking place. I've taken the 3rd picture above and drawn some lines to help explain the area and the PLANES.

Planes = a defined section of paint where the surface is of the same level.

I'm buffed the section in the below picture. This section has 2 PLANES.

In this picture if drawn boxes around the two different PLANES.

When buffing in the driver's side middle of the front clip and moving the buffing pad over to the secondary plane, where the hood transitions to the panel around the headlight and the top portions of the fender, the pad will tend to pull or jerk the tool around as the face of the pad transitions from one PLANE to the other PLANE.

The above about as best as I can explain it with pictures and a keyboard.

And here's the important part - I'm not saying this is a negative thing, it's just a CHARACTERISTIC of a very short oribit stroke length gear-drive tool, no matter what the brand.

I'm so glad I have a history of saying and typing the same thing for the BEAST, that is when others on purpose or simply due to a lack of taking the time to properly express their thoughts via the written word talk negatively about how the FLEX 3401 aka the BEAST has a "WALKING EFFECT" - I've never typed about this as a negative aspect of the tool, simply a CHARACTERISTIC of a 8mm gear-driven tool.

The BIG PICTURE is this, if you spend enough time with any of these tools you become accustomed to their CHARACTERISTICS and adjust to them. You GAIN pure brute POWER and lose the pad stalling CHARACTERISTIC of free spinning tools.

Make sense?

No free lunch in this world - in other words, getting the zero pad stalling aspect or feature of a gear-driven tool, no matter the brand or the size of orbit stroke comes with a price and the price is it's obviously less smooth as a free spinning tool.

By the way, I'll be covering this topic in one of my classes at Mobile Tech Expo in a few weeks.

I have 8 classes at MTE This year, here's two of them...

9:00am to 9:50am

2: Short Stroke vs Long Stroke Orbital Polishers – Differences & Benefits

Some people say long stroke is the best. Some people say short stroke is the best. The reality is, there’s a time, place and best application for both long and short stroke polishers. In this class you learn the differences in both types and the benefits for both types plus finally figure out which type is best for you. If you’re just starting out – choosing the wrong tool wastes not only time, but money in the added costs of pads and products. Generally speaking, while there is something to be said that the more you spend the faster you can detail, there is also something to be said for a low cost tool that can get the job done and get the job done just as well and just as fast. Come to this class to find out.

10:00am to 10:50am

3: Free Spinning Orbital Polishers vs Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers – Differences & Benefits

In this class you will learn the MOST IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE between ANY free spinning polisher versus ANY gear-driven polisher. The difference equals time and time equals money. You will also learn which tool is better for finishing softer, finicky paints and which tool is best suited for doing the grunt work. PLUS, learn the 2 types of HUMAN ENERGY required to use a free spinning orbital polish while the gear driven only requires 1 type of HUMAN ENERGY. This difference is never considered or shared anywhere in the detailing world and it makes a HUGE difference on YOU as well as the overall time you invest into any paint correction work.

Complete list of classes here,

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

15. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast