autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

***NEED experienced advice - hand polishing??

This forum hooked me in, so I have my first question: I am new to detailing and do not feel comfortable in using equipment to polish. I have just purchased a 2005 nissan and wanted a nice detailing system that is not crazy difficult or very expensive. The paint has a good amount of swirls and seems very "cloudy" to the touch like it needs to be polished.

Originally I was going to wash, clay, use Klasse AIO, then top with either Klasse SG or Wolfgang Deep Gloss. But then I was thinking that some type of polish would be good to get rid of those minor scratches versus just filling them.

I also wanted to use a paint sealant being that I want the most durable and longest lasting protection. I am as concerned as most with the appearance, but I want durability being I drive a ton! I read that many people don't like Klasse SG it is not user-friendly. On the other hand, Wolfgang DG complaints is that is doesn't last very long and not too durable. Another concern was that the Klasse AIO is more of a filler and not a polish.

So here is the question....would you recommend the first system I chosen or would you offer a better suggestion that may include a hand applied polish that is somewhat effective in removing surfaces swirls? Please remember, I only will apply by hand being I don't to risk killing a clear coat with inexperience. Maybe there are some inexpensive alternatives I am not considering (something like a basic cleaner wax, then a fair sealant such as the new mequiars NXT). My main goal to this is durablility/protection.

Please, any suggestions and help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ***NEED experienced advice - hand polishing??

In truth, I have never seen anyone remove swirls and scratches by hand. Sure theres a video of this or that that offers it will do so, but afraid I have never seen it in real world. If you do not want to use a power buffer, than consider a paint cleanser with some fillers, a glaze, as these will temporarily hide the imperfections.

Good Products :

Paint Cleanser -- Pinnacle , P21S
    Glaze -- Megs #7, Clearkote Vanilla Moose

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, i understand that i will be needing to look at using a filler rather than a polish. What would you recommend? Remember I am looking for the most durable alternative being I drive the vehicle a ton. I am thinking these options, let me know if any are good or if there is something better;

1. klasse AIO, Klasse SG topcoat
    2. paint cleaner (such as meqs wax cleaner), Collinite insulator wax topcoat
    3. paint cleaner (inexpensive like megs or mothers), megs new NXT topcoat

I would like to keep the cost fairly low being its not the most expensive car but maybe it is better paying more if I know I am getting a product much better in performance. I figured maybe go inexpensive like NXT and use it more frequently???? With any of the above options, where would you add in the filler for scratches and what brand would you go with for the hand application?

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I have ever "polished" by hand is around tricky parts of the car. It was usually in a spot that was less noticable. As for the previous advice, a good orbital is best to start, not quite the same workability as a rotary but quite a bit safer.

Post Thanks / Like

if you want to get really good results i highly suggest purchasign a DA orbital buffer like the pc/udm. its nothing to be intimidated by really. i was under the same mindset when i had my first car. i was too scared to take a power tool to my car and i did everything by hand and i never got the results i wanted and when i did the results would be temporary. i finally decided i need to step it up and give the high speed buffer a try, and im glad i did!