autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: 90 Day Cure

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

90 Day Cure

I recently purchased a new aircraft. I'm planning on laying a ceramic coating on it.

Factory says to let the paint cure 90 days before waxing or coating. I've read this is a myth for vehicles but not sure what to think on an aircraft.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 90 Day Cure

Quote Originally Posted by mattmku View Post
    I recently purchased a new aircraft. I'm planning on laying a ceramic coating on it.

Factory says to let the paint cure 90 days before waxing or coating. I've read this is a myth for vehicles but not sure what to think on an aircraft.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    More than likely it was not heat baked and requires 90 days to out gas. Regardless I would follow the manufacturers recommendation.

What kind of aircraft?

Mike Phillips

Factory says to let the paint cure 90 days before waxing or coating.

I'm not an expert on aircraft coatings but I do know that most aircraft are painted with a single stage urethane. The cost to paint aircraft with a 2-stage system, that is basecoat/clearcoat, would not only cost more but repair or repaint down the road would be more complicated and more costly.

No matter what type of paint is used however, there is truth to allowing some time to pass for any solvents used to thin the paint to outgass or evaporate. Keep in mind, by the time any aircraft is painted and then pushed through to final assembly and then delivery would likely be 90 day or longer. So if you purchased a brand new aircraft, chances are by the time you took delivery, more than 90 days have passed since the paint was sprayed so you should be good to seal the paint surface.

I've read this is a myth for vehicles but not sure what to think on an aircraft.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

It's a myth when it comes to buying a new car off of a dealership car lot for the same reasons I shared above.

It's TRUE if you take your car to a collision repair shop or a custom car painting shop and have NEW or FRESH paint sprayed. Then would want to wait for however long your new best friend, the PAINTER tells you to wait or 30/60/days.

I probably have 3-4 articles on the topic of sealing fresh paint.

Here's what I found using Skynet

Don't wax your car for at least 30 days!

Fresh Paint - But you can touch it...

Body Shop Safe Glaze on Fresh Paint - #7 Show Car Glaze

Paint Needs to Breathe

Post Thanks / Like

I'd stick with the 90 day rule. You should be able to find out the last day of painting and start the clock from there. I only know one guy in Michigan that will bake a plane for you after painting (it costs more than letting it air dry). The other paint shops I know shoot and let air dry (mind you this is a very small sample population).

If you can, keep her hangared for the 90 days for better protection (and convenience, being a ramp rat is rough 90 Day Cure) I'd personally go with that. Repaint on a plane is far from cheap!

Congrats on the buy! What did you get?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

5. Likes tomsteve liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll give it 90 days to air out. It is hangared so that is good news.

It’s a Cirrus SR22T. Blue over metallic silver. It’s my second cirrus and I absolutely love them. Great bird. I’m chomping at the bit to shine it up.

Matt

7. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll give it 90 days to air out. It is hangared so that is good news.

It’s a Cirrus SR22T. Blue over metallic silver. It’s my second cirrus and I absolutely love them. Great bird. I’m chomping at the bit to shine it up.

Matt

Congratulations Matt! Where are you based out of?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dodge City, Kansas

Post Thanks / Like

Dodge City, Kansas
    Can't say I've been. I keep my 172 in Howell, Mi. Good luck and congratulations again!

Post Thanks / Like

Matt

that cure time can change with geographical location. if its in a northern climate where its rather cold at this time and the hangar isnt heated, the cure time will take longer.