autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Power washer upgrade help

I was gifted an older Craftsman gas power washer from my folks since then never used it more than once a year. I would like to upgrade the hose and the gun to more usable one. If possible please leave part numbers for what is recommended as I am having a hard time figuring out what I need to go to a gun alone spray version.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power washer upgrade help

MTM and Obsessed Garage has kits with what you are looking for.

Do you know what the gpm is on the Craftsman gas PW you have?

The gpm (gallons per minute) from the PW is how you know what size of the nozzle tip orifice you would get the wanted psi from it. Since it's a gas PW these usually has a higher gpm than the electric PW. This means that you don't need to be haveing a high psi from the PW to clean your cars with. Obsessed Garage has a very safe wanted psi with around 1000psi. IMO this is a little low psi from the PW to get an effective cleaning ability from it. Generally speaking IMO you should have around 1500-2000psi to use the PW to clean with in the prewash step. With a high gpm as in around 3.0gpm I recommend you to have around 1500psi. And with a lower than 3.0gpm you should have around 2000psi. And this MTM has a calculator on their webshop which you put in the gpm from the PW you have and then what psi you want. Then you get a result which size of the nozzle tip orifice you are going to buy. Or call them if you are uncertain when you look into this. You can also make it simple and buying 2 kits of nozzle tips where one you get 1500-2000psi and one that you get around 1000psi. As they don't costs so much. If you are going to be cleaning stone patios or driveways or anything else that you need to be haveing a higher cleaning ability from the PW. Get you a kit of nozzle tips with the orifice in them that gives you 2500-3000psi. And the work will be going much faster on any harder surface you are cleaning.

The PW hose they are mostly specs of being able to handle up to 3000psi. And the size of the hose depends also on the gpm from the PW which you are going with. I don't know how much gpm you have when it's recommended to go up with the 1/2" hose. But if you contact them you get recommended which size of the PW hose your PW needs to have. And get you a 50' length of PW hose or maybe longer. So you don't need to be replacing where the PW stands when you washing or cleaning other things. It's there many get tired of useing their PWs.

If you buy a PW spray gun handle with QC to it. Put in for a good wand with QC on it. I like the ones that has a slightly bend on them out on the end. This makes it easier to clean the roofs on vehicals and that you don't need to be crouching down to clean the lower parts. It's fast with QC (Quick Connects) to switch between the snubb gun setup to the wand setup.

Also it's important which gpm from the PW you have. To get the right orifice inside of the foamcannon. As it if you have a high gpm and use the original orifice of 1.25mm or even the smaller 1.1mm which is for the smaller electric PW. The psi if you have any of these orifices in the foamcannon on your PW. The psi gets to high and damage the PW pump in the longrun. But with a too large orifice in the foamcannon and you get a too low psi from it and the foam gets too thin. Here you have a tabell of which orifice you should have in the foamcannon to get the psi so it does not doing any damage. And if you have the budget for it go with the MTM PF22 foamcannon and you will an awesome foamcannon for many years to come. As they are that good. Another good choice I think would be the Griots Garage BOSS Foamcannon kit.

Hope it helps you a little. And look on their website and see if you can get what you want from there. Or call them and ask about what you need. Have the gpm from the PW ready when you call them and also the psi it haves now.

/ Tony

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I have not been able to get to my shed were it was being stored for the winter. The pressure washer is a 2150 PSI with a 1.9 GPM. I am looking for MTM but can't seem to find there site.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I use and it works great. I do around 150 cars a year and my Ryobi is still going strong

Car Washing on a Budget, Our Best Pressure Washer Setup for $300 - Obsessed M3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I have not been able to get to my shed were it was being stored for the winter. The pressure washer is a 2150 PSI with a 1.9 GPM. I am looking for MTM but can't seem to find there site.
    MTMHydroParts.Com – MTM Hydro Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Rambro View Post
    This is what I use and it works great. I do around 150 cars a year and my Ryobi is still going strong

Car Washing on a Budget, Our Best Pressure Washer Setup for $300 - Obsessed M3
    I originally had that hose recommended in their listing (from Amazon) - and it burst after about 6 months of bi-monthly (12 times) usage.... And it was definitely not kink free....

I've since upgraded to MTM's Hose (and gun + Quick Connects + PF22) - and it's been trouble free for 2 years now...

OG is certainly well respected in PW parts for detailing uses - but I would still go to MTM (which also supplies the gun and tips in the above) - they are in-expensive (not necessarily cheap) but you'll get long lasting parts and support if you have issues.