autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Glass Coat over pitted windshield?

My "road warrior" - the car I use for multi-thousand mile trips - has micro pits all over the windshield from pebbles and general road grime thrown on it. Seems the general advice I get is to replace, but I hate throwing $3k into a new windshield only to have it look like this again in a couple of years.

I'm hoping the Optimum coating will make it look at least a little better, and protect from more road grit.

Has anybody tried this product on a pitted windshield, especially one covered in tiny micro pits?

Thanks,
    Hans.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Glass Coat over pitted windshield?

$3K for a windshield? What are you driving?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maserati. Only supplier is OEM.

Oddly enough, the paint seems much tougher than the windshield. Some road rash on the nose, but not real bad....

Hans.

Post Thanks / Like

•IMO:
    -Replacing the pitted all-to-hell
    windshield is the best advice.
    {Then you can Glass Coat it
    to your heart’s desire.}

•Here’s a thought:
    -My auto insurance policy’s comprehensive
    coverage, covers the majority of the cost for
    a windshield replacement. Doesn’t yours?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My insurance will only cover if cracked anywhere, or some reasonably serious damage is in line-of-sight. And I'm sure the adjuster would be quite strict once he looks up the price for a replacement.

But again, it's likely to get pitted again in a fairly rapid fashion.

I had a possible opportunity to get it replaced. I had a serious chip, which I had repaired. If I left it alone, the tiny cracks could have spread. Thought about that after the repair.....

I would think that someone by now would have developed a glass clear coat that would fill out minor surface imperfections, wiper blade abrasion, etc. I'm not talking about trying to fix big craters. I'm sort of thinking of maybe a thick ceramic coat developed just for this purpose.

What interested me in the Optimum is it calls itself a "resin", leading me to think it just might fill the surface imperfections.

Or I could be all wrong.....

Hans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4regt4 View Post
    My insurance will only cover if cracked anywhere, or some reasonably serious damage is in line-of-sight. And I'm sure the adjuster would be quite strict once he looks up the price for a replacement.

But again, it's likely to get pitted again in a fairly rapid fashion.

I had a possible opportunity to get it replaced. I had a serious chip, which I had repaired. If I left it alone, the tiny cracks could have spread. Thought about that after the repair.....

I would think that someone by now would have developed a glass clear coat that would fill out minor surface imperfections, wiper blade abrasion, etc. I'm not talking about trying to fix big craters. I'm sort of thinking of maybe a thick ceramic coat developed just for this purpose.

What interested me in the Optimum is it calls itself a "resin", leading me to think it just might fill the surface imperfections.

Or I could be all wrong.....

Hans.
    Too bad about the insurance policy;
    needs an apropos auto glass rider
    clause, IMO.

{ You don’t have to go to Mas’
    stealerships for certified/warranted
    OEM windshield replacement}.

Then again...
    What’s that old saying:
    “sometimes you gotta pay to play”

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Before having that bad chip repaired, I checked into a replacement. Most dealers actually farm out the work to an auto glass company. But the glass companies have to get the glass from the dealer. No other source. Same with the oil filter, LOL, no aftermarket part is made.

I'm hoping someone has used the Optimum product on a less than stellar windshield and can comment. If not, I guess I'll have to try it and report back.

I'm guessing that an initial polish might be detrimental, as the teeny pits are a little rough, which may give a little "tooth" for the Optimum resin to attach to and fill. Just a guess, as I obviously don't know what I'm doing....

Hans.

Post Thanks / Like

If your rock chips have left that many craters in the glass, I am surprised the clear coat is not equally blemished. I did use the Griots Garage Fine Glass Polish and it helps but will not fully remove. Carpro Ceriglass is what Mike Phillips uses in the detailing classes and is quite effective to remove wiper scars. However your windshield is a bit scary if those micro chips are present and not on the paint.
    As to your first question, the Optimum coating products are not fillers, but anything will be a help. Coatings are really very thin so not sure they will help. I did my wife's Camry after 8-years of chips and the polish just made me realize how many were on the glass. I used GG Glass Sealant and it took hold but it did not fill in those bigger spots. Try it or even use any spray wax and see how it does. In either case do give the glass a good cleaning and clay bar treatment before you apply any coating or wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum’s glass coating won’t fill in pits. No glass coating will.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Optimum’s glass coating won’t fill in pits. No glass coating will.
    Ok, noted. But I'm not sure where else to go, as replacement is something I would like to delay.

Squeegee on some clear paint? Just kidding.

Hans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast