autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Glass Coat over pitted windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    According to anyone who has polished glass, it's a lot of work and did I mention, messy.
    That's why part of me just wants to buy new glass Optimum Glass Coat over pitted windshield? I have some small scratches on my side glass and rear hatch I'd like to to buff out but time is valuable to me and it's a lot of time

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AaronE View Post
    That's why part of me just wants to buy new glass Optimum Glass Coat over pitted windshield? I have some small scratches on my side glass and rear hatch I'd like to to buff out but time is valuable to me and it's a lot of time

I would say try it out with polishing glass. And it depends so much on the glass and the deepth of the defects. If they catches your nail in a kind of easy way nope those you will not be getting out. A rotary polisher and CeriGlass or going to the most effective polish is pure cerium oxide abrasives in powder form that you mix with water your self. Also but it's very expensive here in Sweden is 3M Glass Polish this has the highest amount of cerium oxide abrasives in it that I know of in a RTU product. The drawback is with water and cerium oxide mix is that's the most messy to work with and ad the rotary polisher to that. If you have curved windows use a backing plate so small so with the Rayon Glass Polishing Pads on it it should not be seeing any air between the pad and the window you are polishing. Otherwise prepare for even more messy galour LOL. And as mentioned before have low expectations on this work and you may be satisfied enough with the improvement.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Yeah it’s a thing. I heard the clarity it not as good on some.
    Using my “googlefu” I found some places nearby me (I live “way out”) surprisingly that use a windshield PPF. There was many pictures of expensive cars with PPF on the windshields. I guess I’ll have to call to get a price range. Strange that I never even thought this was a thing. With windshields now costing a lot more than they used to, and originality and resale values on exotics being what they are this might be a good investment.

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Never heard of glass specific PPF! Google here I come!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Yeah it’s a thing. I heard the clarity it not as good on some.
    We’ve had it on race cars in the past - trouble is if you have to use the wipers they get wiper trails pretty easy. (Disclaimer- limited experience, but wanted to share the observation). This was a while ago though, maybe they’ve improved.

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    We’ve had it on race cars in the past - trouble is if you have to use the wipers they get wiper trails pretty easy. (Disclaimer- limited experience, but wanted to share the observation). This was a while ago though, maybe they’ve improved.
    They havent. The bre (think thats the spelling)that ive worked with. Just to sample it. Typicall lifespan on a daily using wipers is not long. Like 8 months max and costs about 500-700 to have installed. I install ppf on cars and window tint at work and we were looking at getting into this too. But the cost is very high and the longevity of it i dont think it would sell well in my area. Granted this was a few months ago. May have changed again. The car game changes pretty quickly with up and coming products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I would say try it out with polishing glass. And it depends so much on the glass and the deepth of the defects. If they catches your nail in a kind of easy way nope those you will not be getting out. A rotary polisher and CeriGlass or going to the most effective polish is pure cerium oxide abrasives in powder form that you mix with water your self. Also but it's very expensive here in Sweden is 3M Glass Polish this has the highest amount of cerium oxide abrasives in it that I know of in a RTU product. The drawback is with water and cerium oxide mix is that's the most messy to work with and ad the rotary polisher to that. If you have curved windows use a backing plate so small so with the Rayon Glass Polishing Pads on it it should not be seeing any air between the pad and the window you are polishing. Otherwise prepare for even more messy galour LOL. And as mentioned before have low expectations on this work and you may be satisfied enough with the improvement.

/ Tony
    I need to price it out. Sadly, time has been in short supply lately so it's on my back burner for the time being. Hopefully this summer I can take a look at doing it

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For everyone interested to the PPF on the windshield. Chicago Auto Pros channel on youtube just had this in their latest video where they installed it on an Aston Martin. Don't want to link it if it's against the rules with other products they have and sells. But is easy to do a search on them and it's the last video they have released. It's written up which PPF they used. They even tinted the inside of the windshield as well for some reason LOL. Maybe a feature they wanted from that. The windshield PPF is claimed to have 99% UV protection from it. Which would make the protection covers on the inside of the windshield not needed for protection of the UV. Maybe the inside tint has a feature to hold down the heat build up more or just get it a little darker.

Post Thanks / Like

For everyone interested to the PPF on the windshield. Chicago Auto Pros channel on youtube just had this in their latest video where they installed it on an Aston Martin. Don't want to link it if it's against the rules with other products they have and sells. But is easy to do a search on them and it's the last video they have released. It's written up which PPF they used. They even tinted the inside of the windshield as well for some reason LOL. Maybe a feature they wanted from that. The windshield PPF is claimed to have 99% UV protection from it. Which would make the protection covers on the inside of the windshield not needed for protection of the UV. Maybe the inside tint has a feature to hold down the heat build up more or just get it a little darker.
    Side note the windshield tint is very common. I do about 3-4 a week. Its illegal here but people take the chance on ticket and repair order. Ive had it on my past truck and it was great except on sunny days u get out thinking its cloudy. It really messes with you lol. On my current envoy i just have sides real dark and a strip on windshield. And its good for me. Night time with full windshield tint can be rough depending on what percentage

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Glass Coat over pitted windshield?

Yes it will definitely reduce heat but a lot of people tint front windshield to make interior darker. Harder to see you.

I’ve had it on previous cars 20% on the sides and rear and 35% front windshield. Tried 50% was ok but now I just skip the front.

15. Likes Mdjas, SWETM liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123