autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Glass Coat over pitted windshield?

Glass polishing with the ceriglass (or other reputable glass polish designed to remove materical) may be the way to go. I have to price out a glass kit vs just having my glass replaced with the same issue (micro abrasion from sand/dirt/pebbles/etc "etching" the glass). According to Mike, it's a lot of work but can be done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I would think if anything would help it be the Ceri glass. Will actually polish down glAss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you put in some time and thoroughly cover up the surroundings of the windshield. The Carpro CeriGlass and their Rayon Glass Polishing Pads can at least knock down the most of the edges of pitting and deeper scratches. So it's clareing less. I did this on a bad back window on a hatchback. So it had wipers and the design of those cars does that a lot of sand and grime lands on the wipers and other parts around. The owner before had used hard paper towels I think LOL. So the scratches where very deep for being glas. But with some time and many reapply the CeriGlass on the pad and spraying water so it don't dries on the glass. It worked great on the very fine scratches and knocked down the edges so they got less visible. This when you are correcting glass and not just do some passes to deep clean which I did on the rest of the windows and my own car as well. Is very messy and a lot of slinging and we are talking about hours polishing. And I'm a little worried how much you can go at polishing as with paint it's about heat control and to hold that down. Since your windshield where so easly chiped it can be either a real rock hard glass or a very soft glass. And yes this goes with glass too but the difference vs paint is that the medium hard glass is very hard. The problem if your windshield gets to high of a heat is that you have a kind of laminate in the middle of the glass that can be destorted and make it very bad to look out through the windshield after that. My advise if you are going to be trying to polishing the glass. Is to first cover up the rubber seals and trim and paint around the windshield. You can find good plastic cover that's used in bodyshops at a painters shop for Automotive paints. Start at the bottom or the on a small area on the passenger side of the windshield. And see how it works for you to polishing glass. Then evaluate if it's worth the time it takes to polishing glass when you have tested on this one small section. The best results from polishing glass you get with a rotary polisher. But have low expectations as it's very hard to correct glass and impossible if they are just a little deep sadly. Then it's getting out the CeriGlass from the pitting. The fastest way for me was just to use a polish that is known to not dust and that's easy to wipe it off. And use a glass cleaner or a panel prep wipe product to wipe off any residue left by the polish.

Another thought that I don't know so much of and if it's needed to be applyied on a new window or if it's able to mask up defects on an old window. Is that there some PPF for being applyied on the glass. That could be worth to look into. Then if it's worth it vs a new windshield I don't know.

I got a lot of rock chips on the windshield a couple of months back after driving on an asphalt road they repaired 2 times only. Don't know what they used there but the small rocks in the asphalt flew like crazy. Maybe 25-30 small rock chips just from that. After just a quick polish with the CeriGlass and their Rayon Glass Polishing Pads. And focused a little longer where I saw the chips. It degraded the edges to be less visible at least. But not fun when I noticed this first. Also one thing that I did cause of the wiper even when I put on new ones. Got damaged directly and leaved a thin line of water behind. I used a razor blade in a mini scraper and shaved off any glass that had gotten lifted by the rock chips. This worked great and is something I did after the claying but before the polishing.

/ Tony

4. Likes A-train, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceri glass to achieve the beat result then have windshield ppf installed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Find someone willing to go at it with cerium oxide polish, glass rayon pads and a rotary. They would at least diminish them.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely look into glass polishing as others have stated- I believe Mike Phillips himself has a thread on here somewhere about how it can improve pitting. And, what I have not heard mentioned is PPF!!!! There is glass specific PPF!!!!! I know it is being utilized by many Porsche Club members that frequent track day events with their pride and joy. The cost to replace the PPF every so often is way better than having to replace the windshield!!

9. Likes Thomkirby, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of glass specific PPF! Google here I come!

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AaronE View Post
    Glass polishing with the ceriglass (or other reputable glass polish designed to remove materical) may be the way to go. I have to price out a glass kit vs just having my glass replaced with the same issue (micro abrasion from sand/dirt/pebbles/etc "etching" the glass). According to Mike, it's a lot of work but can be done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    According to anyone who has polished glass, it's a lot of work and did I mention, messy.

13. Likes AaronE, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Never heard of glass specific PPF! Google here I come!
    Yeah it’s a thing. I heard the clarity it not as good on some.

15. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeh there is one called bre. And it only lasts 6-8 month on daily drivers. And its expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast