autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Protecting Headlights - Clear coat & PPF Film?

I had a set of new halogen headlights disassembled & retrofitted with HID projectors. The builder applies an "automotive grade" clear coat on the lens for added protection & to help prevent UV damage. After receiving the lights I went to a local shop to have Xpel PPF applied to further protect them. When the PPF installer found out the lenses were clear coated he advised against the PPF unless the clear coat was sanded off. He said if he had to re-position the PPF during the install it would probably peel the clear coat from the lens. He said he could go ahead & do it but he wasn't making any guarantees. I decided to hold off for now. I'm curious if anyone has applied PPF to a headlight that has been clear coated?

(My factory lights are close to 6 years old & still look brand new. I hit them with Optimum Car Wax after every wash since it has UV protection. I plan on doing the same with the new headlights but I was wanting PPF installed for added protection.)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting Headlights - Clear coat & PPF Film?

Okay, your headlight builder must have laid down a noticeable coating of clear coat over that lens given the PPF shop's comments. But given he is going to guarantee his work and the PPF film I would tend to agree with his assessment. You might write to Xpel and see if they suggest the same, they are the ones which will replace the film if it yellows.
    But you need to be aware that if for some reason that you try to remove the PPF it most likely can remove the layer beneath it (the hand sprayed clear coat). It happened to my stock bumper with the PPF film being removed by my body shop. Paint came off when they attempted to pull off the PPF to fix after a minor scratch. It was original paint but it was the second time PPF film had been installed (first PPF had yellowed in 3-years). And given that this clear coat was done recently, I would give it 60-days to cure just like you would do for any non-factory paint job.
    You can consider doing the PPF film yourself on the headlights, several DIY kits can be found. It can be frustrating to install on some lights, but having the PPF on them protects against the rock chips over time. I have it now on all my personal autos.

3. Thanks AMarkham40 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since headlights come with clear coat already on your headlights I do not understand what would be affected by installing PPF over the clear coat. This is a new one for me. I do not see the problem. By the way pre-cut Xpel is sold here on AG.

5. Thanks AMarkham40 thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    Okay, your headlight builder must have laid down a noticeable coating of clear coat over that lens given the PPF shop's comments. But given he is going to guarantee his work and the PPF film I would tend to agree with his assessment. You might write to Xpel and see if they suggest the same, they are the ones which will replace the film if it yellows.
    But you need to be aware that if for some reason that you try to remove the PPF it most likely can remove the layer beneath it (the hand sprayed clear coat). It happened to my stock bumper with the PPF film being removed by my body shop. Paint came off when they attempted to pull off the PPF to fix after a minor scratch. It was original paint but it was the second time PPF film had been installed (first PPF had yellowed in 3-years). And given that this clear coat was done recently, I would give it 60-days to cure just like you would do for any non-factory paint job.
    You can consider doing the PPF film yourself on the headlights, several DIY kits can be found. It can be frustrating to install on some lights, but having the PPF on them protects against the rock chips over time. I have it now on all my personal autos.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Since headlights come with clear coat already on your headlights I do not understand what would be affected by installing PPF over the clear coat. This is a new one for me. I do not see the problem. By the way pre-cut Xpel is sold here on AG.
    Thanks guys. The headlight builder sent me a message & said to wait 60 days before installing the PPF to let the clear coat cure. I didn't realize Autogeek sold Xpel products. I will take a look!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing it out there, have you considered applying Optimum OPTI-LENS COATING instead of PPF? Are you move worried about physical damage or UV?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulgyro View Post
    Just throwing it out there, have you considered applying Optimum OPTI-LENS COATING instead of PPF? Are you move worried about physical damage or UV?
    Both actually, but the yellowing from UV damage is my main priority. Also, the opti-lens coating costs the same as the Xpel PPF.

9. Likes paulgyro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand why the PPF installer where worried. Usually if you where to paint the headlights again. You sanding down to the plastic so you take off any oem protection on the headlights. Then you use a special primer that's clear and made to be to flex with the quick heat build up and cooling down in also different environments temperature. This makes the clearcoat to bond properly and being able to follow these temperature testing and that's usually is 2k clearcoat. If you basicly clean the headlights and paint it with clearcoat it's not going to be lasting for a long time until it starts to peel off. So it's much about how your headlight builder did the prep work before clearcoated them. It's basicly like if you where going to be painting clearcoat on your paint and just cleaned or scuffed the old clearcoat and painted directly the new clearcoat on that prep work. You will see in most cases that the clearcoat starts peeling under a year of time. So that's much about what the PPF installer known about how it where preped and clearcoated. If just mentioned that it where newly clearcoated with the understanding of no to little prep before it. Then even when the clearcoat is cured after 60 days any adjustment or takeing the PPF off would risk to get it to peel off if he's needed to be doing that. And the only way to get it certain to not doing that is to sanding off the new clearcoat sadly.

Ask the headlight builder how he preped before he clearcoated your headlights. Did he do the clearcoat on new headlights or the old ones? And did he use 1k clearcoat or 2k clearcoat? He maybe did it properly with the clear primer for the plastic material your headlights has and all that. Then after 60 days when it's outgased you can DIY the application of the PPF I think. Doing correctly and thoroughly and you can get headlights very good but it's work with it and knowledge. And not just slapping on some more clearcoat to make it thicker. That's not going to be holding well sadly.

/ Tony

11. Thanks AMarkham40 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I can understand why the PPF installer where worried. Usually if you where to paint the headlights again. You sanding down to the plastic so you take off any oem protection on the headlights. Then you use a special primer that's clear and made to be to flex with the quick heat build up and cooling down in also different environments temperature. This makes the clearcoat to bond properly and being able to follow these temperature testing and that's usually is 2k clearcoat. If you basicly clean the headlights and paint it with clearcoat it's not going to be lasting for a long time until it starts to peel off. So it's much about how your headlight builder did the prep work before clearcoated them. It's basicly like if you where going to be painting clearcoat on your paint and just cleaned or scuffed the old clearcoat and painted directly the new clearcoat on that prep work. You will see in most cases that the clearcoat starts peeling under a year of time. So that's much about what the PPF installer known about how it where preped and clearcoated. If just mentioned that it where newly clearcoated with the understanding of no to little prep before it. Then even when the clearcoat is cured after 60 days any adjustment or takeing the PPF off would risk to get it to peel off if he's needed to be doing that. And the only way to get it certain to not doing that is to sanding off the new clearcoat sadly.

Ask the headlight builder how he preped before he clearcoated your headlights. Did he do the clearcoat on new headlights or the old ones? And did he use 1k clearcoat or 2k clearcoat? He maybe did it properly with the clear primer for the plastic material your headlights has and all that. Then after 60 days when it's outgased you can DIY the application of the PPF I think. Doing correctly and thoroughly and you can get headlights very good but it's work with it and knowledge. And not just slapping on some more clearcoat to make it thicker. That's not going to be holding well sadly.

/ Tony
    Brand new aftermarket headlights. He used Matrix AG40 2K automotive clear coat. No flex primer or additive used. He offers a lifetime warranty on the clear coat finish. That's a nice feature but the shipping costs would be outrageous between CA & VA if I had to file a claim down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AMarkham40 View Post
    Brand new aftermarket headlights. He used Matrix AG40 2K automotive clear coat. No flex primer or additive used. He offers a lifetime warranty on the clear coat finish. That's a nice feature but the shipping costs would be outrageous between CA & VA if I had to file a claim down the road.
    Strange to paint brand new headlights IMO. Does he warranty also if you put PPF on them? If so go with PPF them for extra protection. He may have done some sanding and added the clearcoat he uses. It can be enough doing this especially if he knows what the headlight manufacture used on their finish so they match and gets you a better UV protection. Since they where new it's more possible to be working great. It's always good to have in this case he that did the custom build of the headlight aproved it's okay to put PPF on them. Think that it's not a problem if the PPF install is easy to do on the type of shape your headlights have. So it gets set and done with the PPF and no adjustment needed. Then the problems can gets when the PPF has been worned and you need to be replacing it. If you use a great PPF with a very high UV protection the clearcoat under will be very good protected as well. Hard decision on if you should be doing it or not. You have done the research now and maybe others chaims in to and get you some advises. I would ask the custom headlight builder if it's okay to PPF them and go by what he says. Or else you know the risks of what could happens if he says no and you still want PPF on them.

14. Likes AMarkham40 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I install ppf at work along with window tint. I would say as long as the clear was properly put onto the lens ppf will not affect that even if he needs to reposition it. We use soapy water to apply ppf and it allows it to slide until you squeege it down. Ppf is great. Have had it on past cars headlights. It prevents em from turning yellow, bugs and such wipe off with no effort and chips and stuff is greatly reduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes AMarkham40, SWETM liked this post