autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations for a Drill Set and Attachments (For Tire Cleaning)

Good morning everyone,

First and foremost, I ordered the Auto Geek Foam Master Foam Gun (Half Quart) a few seconds ago and am super stoked for its arrival in the mail!!

Anyway, I am trying to reduce the amount of time I spend detailing my vehicle (hence one of the reasons I purchased the Foam Master). I was watching a handful of YouTube videos of people who use drills and brush attachments to clean their tires. Needless to say, scrubbing my tires manually is not an appealing concept to me. I need a good (affordable, not cheap) drill and some brush attachments for my filthy Michelin tires. What do you recommend? If it means anything, I noticed a few detailers using a DeWalt drill. But what tire brush attachments are compatible with the DeWalt drill?

RG85

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for a Drill Set and Attachments (For Tire Cleaning)

Check Amazon. You can get a set of drill brushes cheap. They come in different colors/hardness. The green or yellow should fit the bill, or just buy both since they are so cheap and can be used for household duties as well, I use them for cleaning grout as well as tires.

3. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since holiday sales are here for a minute you might want to check out Home Depot for a drill.

Don't get stuck buying any ol drill. I would suggest a Milwaukee 1/2 inch M18 kit.
    Don't bother with the hammer drill kit unless you actually need it or fore see the need.

The lower end drills have worthless chucks that will cause your bits or attachments to fall out when the brake hits.
    Or they won't tighten to begin with.
    Buy quality and conquer the world.

Then from there hit Amazon to get one of the 14.99/19.99 brush deals.

Down the road you can get a bare bone 1/4 impact driver to complete the set up.....a must have for driving screws.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Chemical Guys Heavy Duty (Red) drill brush. It has a 1/4" diameter hex shank and will work with any drill with a 3/8" or 1/2" chuck. As mentioned already look for a quality drill that replacement and/or extra batteries are available for. I use Panasonic 15.6 volt drills but have had these for many years and have 4 of them with 6 batteries that are interchangeable. I used these in my business and they would keep a charge and work all day driving screws, drilling, etc.

Quick charge capability is something that's important if you don't use these everyday because inevitably the time you need the drill to scrub your tires the battery will be drained. If you keep them on charge all the time the batteries can go bad to the point they will no longer hold a charge. The batteries I use will charge up in about 20 minutes and with this brush do a great job of scrubbing the tires in advance of applying tire coating.

I use the McKee's 37 Tire Coating and when I do scrub the tires clean (maybe once a year), I hit each tire 2 to 3 times with APC and then once with McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator for the final cleaning. I machine scrub each time to assure that all the previous coating has been removed before re-coating the tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Amazon for the three brush set, two flat brushes and the rounded brush. They work great on tires and wheels. I also use them on the bathtub, shower and bathroom floor. Cleaning is more fun and interesting when you use power tools.

7. Likes PaulMys, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For casual use, it's hard to beat buying a RIGID brand drill from Home Depot. While some other brands may have slightly better specs or performance, the RIGID drills are decent and they have one big plus ... a lifetime parts & labor warranty on everything, incl. batteries. And if you ever need service, all you have to do is drop the drill off at the nearest Home Depot.

As noted, lots of holiday sales ongoing, so now is a good time to buy. They have an 18V RIGID drill with (2) batteries and charger for $99.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like my M12 Milwaukee setup with the brush. I have many of the M12 tools also and like it better than the M18 tools for most things.

Here is a picture of the tools I used when I put on my snow tires and cleaned the wheel wells last month.

10. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    For casual use, it's hard to beat buying a RIGID brand drill from Home Depot. While some other brands may have slightly better specs or performance, the RIGID drills are decent and they have one big plus ... a lifetime parts & labor warranty on everything, incl. batteries. And if you ever need service, all you have to do is drop the drill off at the nearest Home Depot.

As noted, lots of holiday sales ongoing, so now is a good time to buy. They have an 18V RIGID drill with (2) batteries and charger for $99.
    Wow, that Ridgid is a no brainer.

Got a guy at work that has all the Ridgid tools, including at least 10 drills.
    He has used the warranty many times.
    If I started over I would go Ridgid. I used Milwaukee as an example(they are sweet though) I have Makita, Ryobi, Dewalt and Milwaukee at my disposal.