autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Waxing Black Car

I cleaned, buffed and waxed my black HHR about a week ago. It's a high mileage car and has it's fair share of chips and scratches. What's happening now is that the wax that is in every chip on the car has turned a bright white. I thought I'd look up and try to find a wax that is black in color so when it dries, it won't turn white. A Google search for "black wax" just turned up numerous products made to wax a black car, but none of them address my situation. Is there still a wax out there that is actually black in color and will help hide my chips?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waxing Black Car

Quote Originally Posted by Stumann View Post
    I cleaned, buffed and waxed my black HHR about a week ago. It's a high mileage car and has it's fair share of chips and scratches. What's happening now is that the wax that is in every chip on the car has turned a bright white. I thought I'd look up and try to find a wax that is black in color so when it dries, it won't turn white. A Google search for "black wax" just turned up numerous products made to wax a black car, but none of them address my situation. Is there still a wax out there that is actually black in color and will help hide my chips?
    You need to fill those chips with paint and not wax. Look at what Dr Colorchip offers. Easy to use and may solve your white chip problem.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    You need to fill those chips with paint and not wax. Look at what Dr Colorchip offers. Easy to use and may solve your white chip problem.
    I understand what you are saying, but I know there are (or were) companies making colored wax. I just can't seem to find any now, I'm hoping someone knows where I might get some. The point I'm trying to make is that now the chips really stand out like a bunch snowflakes on the car. My car looked better before the wax, the chips were much less noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like

What wax did you use?

Most over the counter waxes are actually cleaner waxes often called All in Ones(AIO). The cleaning agents usually dry white on these type of products. Hence your issue.

You need to clean those areas and use a true finishing wax(non cleaner). Problem is that over the counter waxes will not mention that they are actually AIOs.

P21s, Pinnacle Signature Series II, Blackfire Midnight Sun are some examples that won’t dry with white spots as they are true finishing waxes.

Jescar Powerlock and Wolfgang Deep gloss paint sealant are some examples of synthetic waxes that will also not dry white in those areas. Again no cleaning agents in these also.

Look for a wax that will not stain trim if the above offerings do not suit you.

Hope that helps a bit.

PS. Forget about the colored waxes as they are generally a joke.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I once Dr Color Chip'd my junker 2001 Kia Spectra, this car was a disaster with road rash, the entire Hood was peppered very badly. One thing I'll say before going further, I was very pleased how well the paint matched, being that the paint was Magenta Pearl Metallic.

One technique described by the company is to pour and then spread with a squeegee. Might be a faster, and easier method, but also figured I'd be going through a lot of touch up paint in no time.

So, I did it a bit harder and slower way. I addressed about a 1 foot circular area at a time, within such an area may have been 12, 15 and more chips, that bad. Took the small microfiber applicator, and dabbed away, insuring that I was filling the chips with enough paint.

Good weather conditions where it was warm and low humidity allowed me to come behind quite quickly, about 10-12 minutes later to level with the Sealact Solution.

Then after satisfied with the leveling processes in each area I moved onto the next area. It might've taken me 2 to 2-1/2 hour's time on the hood, but when I got through, the difference was very evident and pleasing.

After that I didn't touch the hood for a week, then came behind with a sealant (WGDGPS 3.0) after insuring full cure time of the paint. After such efforts, my beater wasn't looking so bad.

Such touch ups, which I'd surmise mine was worse than a lot of vehicles, is something that might take a person a couple of afternoons of some spare time.

For lesser atrocities, one can do a walk around with each body panel, do a close inspection and find any and all chips, mark these areas by placing small pieces of masking tape nearby.

First do the prep, this is simple enough, with a bottle of 70% IPA, insuring all waxes-etc are removed from the chips. Then do the touch up.

The initial outlay of cash for the Kit might seem high, but IMO the end results are worth the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

A Google search for "black wax" just turned up
    numerous products made to wax a black car,
    but none of them address my situation.
    If only you’d Googled: “Color Magic”...
    Bam! Turtle Wax magically appears.

{However, IMO:
    Colored Waxes kinda fall into the magical,
    mysterious, mythical category of LSPs.}

Is there still a wax out there that is actually
    black in color and will help hide my chips?
    •Yep (kinda sorta)...
    -good ol’ Turtle Wax is still out there.

With that in mind:
    Turtle Wax suggests that the following
    products can ameliorate your stated black
    paint issues (if only on a temporary basis,
    at best):

•Turtle Wax Color Magic Scratch & Chip
    Repair Pen (Universal Black)

•Turtle Wax Color Magic Car Polish
    (Jet Black)

•Turtle Wax Black Box Kit

Now...dare to head on over to
    the darker side of detailing.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

FUNX650 beat me to it. Try the TW Color Magic Jet Black Polish which will (supposedly fill in light swirls and scratches and leave some protection. Turtle Wax also used to sell a “chip stick”, but as far as I can tell is no longer in stock. If you would like to support the Autogeek forum sponsors you could buy some Blackfire BlackIce Hybrid Montan Sealant Wax, which differs from the TW Color Magic in that it does not contain any abrasives similar to the “white” wax that you previously applied.

I’m guessing from your post count (welcome by the way) that you are fairly new to this detailing stuff. If I was in your shoes and just wanted to cover up the white spots and get on with my life I would bite the bullet and get the Blackfire Wax. Just slap on a coat over the white spotted area then wipe off and drive on. It’s a very good (and expensive) wax that you will use on the remainder of the vehicle too. It’s good stuff and lasts 3-4 months on daily driven vehicles. Pick up a bottle of Blackfire Carnauba Spray Wax to use after you wash to restore that just waxed look in a fraction of the time of a full wax job. Happy Waxing!

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845 doesn't turn white.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
    Collinite 845 doesn't turn white.
    Not initially, but will eventually

Post Thanks / Like

Black shoe polish on the white marks. Many years ago I sold a old maroon Buick that had a few rust spots that I filled with oxblood shoe polish . It made it look a lot better. Another way to clean the wax out of the cracks is with mineral spirits. They use a straight wax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast