autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Struggling to bring in business

I’ve been detailing cars for about 12 years, started my business 5 years ago part time working for a few hours after my 7-3 job and on weekends. End of last year I lost my job and figured I would attempt to try and mobile detailing full time out of the back of my Dodge Durango. The winter was slow as expected (Eastern Massachusetts) and then spring started to pick up.

I live on an Island where we have two cities and 40,000 people when you cross the bridge and about 3 other detail shops... I’m the only one who offers mobile. I had a pretty good season this year but it was slower then other summers and I found out there’s a guy in town detailing cars for like $100. He also has a friend who owns a storage company that has a connected garage that he started working out of a few months ago. I’ve had people contact me to come over and give them a quote and then I would see their cars on his Facebook page because clearly my price was more then his. I’m definitely losing a chance of customers just because he has cheaper detail services and because no one here understands the difference between a cheap detail and a more expensive detail.

A full detail for me and my wife takes about 4-5 hours and includes full vac, interior wipe, plastics dressed, floors/seats shampooed and steamed, hand wash, wheels and tires for $160-190 and additional $30 for paint sealant and additional $100 for a clay and polish. I use shine supply, meguiars products and chemical guys soaps.

Unexpectedly in May, my two year old daughter passed away and from that day I’ve been determined to do this full time so I can also work on setting up a foundation to help other parents with kids who had what she had, which may be too stressful with a fulltime job.

Any ideas to help bring in more business? I was thinking detailing boats and RVs but we don’t have any indoor boat and rv storage around here. Most are either in people’s driveways or on shelves at local marinas.

Sorry if my post is all over the place. My life has been a blur in the last 6 months and I’m struggling financially.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Struggling to bring in business

Hey man I can't help with your business questions but I'm really sorry about your daughter.

3. Thanks Rtrick87 thanked for this post
    Likes Rtrick87 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First sorry about your daughter.

Secondly: I’m about 4x or more than local detailers and I refuse to lower my standards to meet those kind of prices. What I do is educate clients and potential clients on why I’m more expensive and much better than the other places. Explain your process and why it’s needed.

In the end some will still go with the cheaper option but most wont argue when they realize why your service is superior and more expensive.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss of your daughter.

Is that your basic offering what you described for $160-$190?
    Maybe it's a little much to have the shampooing and steaming in the basic detailing package. And you could split up the interior and exterior work and then adding steps as wanted. How does the others packages looks like?

Post Thanks / Like

Its a fact that over 80% of small business fail. Most that succeed have to attempt multiple times. When you are working a job that you enjoy its WAY better than a job that you dont. Read this thread by Mike Phillips -- maybe it will help a little.
    service charge

Wish you nothing but SUCCESS!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

sorry for your loss of your daughter

Post Thanks / Like

I agree whole heartedly with explaining your process. If you don’t educate them why your more and how your process is better it won’t end well.

Here’s the thing tho. That’s very easy to do. Also find out what he’s doing for a basic. Make sure they know the difference.

Also maybe try to get a wash and interior wipe down and vacuum closest to his price and offer everything else separate.

Sorry for your loss and positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Thanks lalv thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a parent, losing a child has to be the worst, very sorry to hear of your loss.

Based on the situation described (40,000 population, people "uneducated" on detailing, and 4 competing detailers, with one guy undercutting everyone at $100), I'd say :

First, investigate your competition, esp. the $100 guy and find out exactly what they are doing and for how much. Adjust your service/cost accordingly.

Drop the floor & seat shampooing/steaming and plastic dressing from your basic service and have them as "add on" charges.

Look for tools and/or process improvements that will allow you to do your job faster. Right now you are making ~$40/hr (divided by 2 people) and that's not cutting it. Pressure washer+foam cannon, blower for drying, etc., can be big time savers. Something as simple as using a flag tipped brush to apply tire dressing can knock a lot of time off a task ... probably one of the simplest/best tips I have gotten from this forum so far.

Trying to "educate" potential customers may help some, but most people really could care less and will go for cheaper vs. better. For now I think it's better for you to concentrate on how many cars you can get in and how fast you can turn them out.

Look for B2B opportunities with other local companies where you can refer customers to them and they can refer customers to you in exchange.

Ask your customers to do reviews to try to better establish your reputation, esp. online like Google Reviews, Angies List, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the lost of a loved one. I wish you to have success as well. The offer is on the table if you ever want to chat business on the phone. I am no stranger of Eastern Mass. I grew up around there.

Also, I started my business late 2015 originally in the Merrimack Valley Area. The Northshore is not far. Perhaps some insight from someone who is relatively local to you. I wish you the best.

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack, chet31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your loss. One suggestion that may or may not be suitable would be to focus on just mobile car washes and put full detailing to the side temporarily.
    I feel that in some areas just doing mobile washes would suit a large customer base, while maintaining a similar or even higher hourly wage rate.
    Once you have routine weekly to bi weekly wash customers you could sell them on full detailing services.
    As you mentioned you are the only one of the other detailers that is mobile. I would try something like to to further set yourself apart.
    You could approach businesses and try to get multiple wash clients in the same location.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast