autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

School me on using a windshield treatment like aquapel, and longevity of wiper blades

I have been reading about different blades here, and occasionally come across someone saying that they still have the original blades the car came with (or they haven't replaced their blades in several years), because they treat the windshield with aquapel or something like that.

I’m not sure I’m understanding these folks correctly. Do they just never have to use the windshield wipers, so there is no need to replace them, if they treat the windshield? Or just that they hardly ever have to use the blades, so they last a lot longer? Or what?

I live in a desert, and I’d think that the sun would harden & crack the rubber blade, regardless of how often it was being used.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: School me on using a windshield treatment like aquapel, and longevity of wiper blades

I tend to agree with you. The UV rays from the sun in your climate will still do harm to the blades. Where I live it rains or snows often, so wipers get a lot of use, and get changed at least annually, sometimes after 7-8 mths. Not so sure in the desert, where rain is not frequent that Aquapel will serve much purpose for you. I use it, and like it. At highway speeds if it is a lighter rain, it just beads off and I barely need to even use the wipers. I will get a few months out of it in our climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: School me on using a windshield treatment like aquapel, and longevity of wiper blades

Not the desert but living here in Texas heat and UV is always a factor. I treated the wiper blades on both of our '08 cars with Aerospace 303 monthly. Due to that I have only replaced the wiper blades one time in almost 12 years for what it's worth. I don't care for any of the windshield treatments. Once they do degrade the wipers just don't work as well and it's a real bugger to get that film off of the glass.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Rick in Texas...Aerospace 303 on your blades would be wise. I use it on plastic parts and decals on our RV, great product!

Post Thanks / Like

Rick, I have heard quite a few folks here at Autogeek and elsewhere use 303 on their blades. Do you just wipe it down and walk away, or do you soak it in a bag full of the stuff? Sounds like a lot of time & expense if the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Not the desert but living here in Texas heat and UV is always a factor. I treated the wiper blades on both of our '08 cars with Aerospace 303 monthly. Due to that I have only replaced the wiper blades one time in almost 12 years for what it's worth. I don't care for any of the windshield treatments. Once they do degrade the wipers just don't work as well and it's a real bugger to get that film off of the glass.

Post Thanks / Like

wipe it down and walk away, well you probably want to give the blade a good cleaning first. But the 303 is simply wiped on, no soaking involved.

Post Thanks / Like

A garage kept vehicle sees a lot less wear and tear on things like wiper blades.

As others have suggested, cleaning and then treating the Blades with a good protectant will surely help them.

With Replacement Blades, I think most will agree, that you do get what you pay for. Buy the cheapest Blades money can buy, you will not get much life compared to better Blades.

Sure, the cleaner the Glass, and being treated with a Rain Repellant will cause less wear, and drag.

Seems many here have their favorite brand of Repellants, some people like Aquapel, others not so much.

I'm not that big a fan of it, noting that it didn't last as long as claimed, and no matter what prep I did beforehand, I wasn't getting months of use out of it. Of course when I tested it, I was living in brutal desert conditions in Southwest NM, heat, sun and dusts no doubt take their toll.

You also don't get much use out of a single Applicator of Aquapel, working with lightning speed, I was lucky to just get the Windshield coated on a daily driver Kia Spectra Hatchback. Of course one can use a more expensive and durable Repellant of personal choice on the Windshield such as many uber priced ones sold here, then use a less expensive product like Rain-X on all the rest perhaps.

8. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Varies a lot if your car sits outside or in a garage. Mine is garaged and I avoid days of bad weather if I can. My glass is also coated. I rarely use the wipers, only if it's such a fine mist it can't just slide off with some speed. My wipers still work great (had to use them the past couple of days) and they're 32 months old now. I also clean my car often so the rubber isn't always pushing dirt around.

My wife's car has the same coating on the glass but is always outside. I have to change her blades every year after the winter.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

My cars are garaged outside, 24/7.

I've typically had very good luck with Rainx conventional, but this last one only lasted 6 months, and so now I'm thinking I should add to my repertoire. 303 is looking very good now. Rainx says to wash the blade when you wash your car; I can easily do that. Every time I wax (2-3 months or so) I can also use 303.

Post Thanks / Like

With the cost of blades now 303 is a bargain, I Houston I normally have to replace the blades twice a year, using 303 I now change them annually.
    The heat and pollution tear up exposed rubber. I use it on all exposed seals with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast