autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: School me on using a windshield treatment like aquapel, and longevity of wiper blades

I have used RainX, Aquapel and Griots Glass Sealant and they all work well, however Aquapel has worked the best for me. It has outlasted the other coatings and it especially works well at night. RainX can leave a smear or a ghosting effect at nighttime. The traditional Rainx was difficult to remove but the 2 in 1 cleaner is very easy to use. Griots is easy to apply and remove but it only lasts about 3-4 months. I can get 30 days out of RainX and about 6 months out of Aquapel. The Aquapel directions tell you to buff off the product with a paper towel. I just cannot get myself to do that. I will not allow an abrasive paper towel to touch my windshield.
    I live in Southern New England when the only intense sun we get is in July and August. I can get a year out of a set of wiper blades. Wiping down the blades with 303 is sound advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: School me on using a windshield treatment like aquapel, and longevity of wiper blades

Just like you, I hate the idea of using paper towel to buff off the Aquapel. I tried mf towels but they seemed to lint too much when using them with Aquapel, yet when used on their own, they don't seem to lint. So what do you use to buff it off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Just like you, I hate the idea of using paper towel to buff off the Aquapel. I tried mf towels but they seemed to lint too much when using them with Aquapel, yet when used on their own, they don't seem to lint. So what do you use to buff it off?
    A cheaper microfiber towel will leave a lot of lint behind. I like the Cobra Edgeless Sky Blue polishing cloths.

Sky Blue Edgeless Polishing Cloth

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the best Bosch blades (based off reviews) The hot So Cal sun has basically killed them. It barely rains so I hardly even got to use them, maybe 3 times yet they're already almost worthless. I WISH I had been smart and treated them with 303 or something.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also bought Bosch blades a couple times over the years, and they have been among the worst blades I have bought. Not only does your hot CA sun kill them but so does our frigid northern climate. In no time at all they started to act like worn out blades and the rubber would tear, and leave streaks while wiping rain. Haven't bought any more of the Bosch since.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    I have also bought Bosch blades a couple times over the years, and they have been among the worst blades I have bought. Not only does your hot CA sun kill them but so does our frigid northern climate. In no time at all they started to act like worn out blades and the rubber would tear, and leave streaks while wiping rain. Haven't bought any more of the Bosch since.
    What I did to avoid that was to use Bosch icon for 3 seasons and use some other cheaper wiper during the winter. Once spring came I installed the Icon again. Those wipers are so nice.
    This on my wife’s car that is always outside. Mine is in the garage and i avoid driving in bad weather so it’s still on OEM wipers, almost 3 years later. Glass is coated with McKee’s so when it rains I rarely need wipers.
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth I just used Aquapel for about the 8th time in 5 years years and I don't know if I got a fake batch from Amazon but after applying (30 seconds) I immediately used paper towel as suggested and dang it would not come off. Left swirls and haze on the windshield. It's a major pain to rub them off. I have read that Bon Ami works to remove the Aquapel - I will drive with the car the way it is now and see how bad it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try with a towel? Paper towel is ok for the first pass but I always need a MF towel and elbow grease to remove the rest.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Pinnacle glass twins. Great products. Lay down the glass sealant and maintain it with the glass cleaner with rain repel in it. I use the Speed master glass towel with these products.

Pinnacle Glass Twins

Speed Master Premium Glass Towel
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12