autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Rust or Rust Dust Spots or Something Else???

Hi everyone

N00bie here. Recently a stalker, nowa registered member. I hope some of you can advise me what to do with my predicament. I recently purchased a 2010 Acura TSX. I noticed my hood and trunk was lightly dusted white before purchasing it. My mechanic (who actually picked the car out for me and told me to buy it. He informed me not to worry about anything as he would take care of the situation. (In the past he has helped with my other cars, so I didn’t think anything of it.) After reading here and another forum I came to the conclusion that I either had a clear coat failure or an oxidation problem. We (myself and my mechanic) concluded that it was the former – clear coat failure.

Recently he finished waxing and repainted and I acquired the car the day before yesterday. Well, yesterday I noticed that there are 2 small sizes (attached picture) of rust on my hood. So, immediately I called my mechanic today and he said he I could come over and he would use touch up paint to fix the problem. I didn’t have time today to see him, but does that sound right??? So, tonight I dug a little deeper on here and was wondering are these “rail dust spots”? How to Remove Rail Dust with CarPro IronX and a Clay Bar | Ask a Pro Blog The 2 spots seem bigger than what is shown here on the link. So, I don’t know what to think. Or do you think it could be something else? Can it be fixed? Should I trust him again and let him ‘try again’ or what??? Also, will touch up paint mess up my new paint and how can I take care of the repainted car once I fix this problem? If you can't see the pic let me know and I'll take another one. TIA UGH!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rust or Rust Dust Spots or Something  Else???-rust-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rust or Rust Dust Spots or Something Else???

I’m not sure if I’m seeing exactly what you’re talking about in the picture because I’m viewing it through my phone, but if you’re referring to the 2 spots just underneath the panel line then the 1st thing you should try is some Detailing Clay. You can order some here or pick up a Meguiars Detailing Clay Kit locally.

Follow the easy directions and if it is rail dust it’ll come off when you clay it.
    As far as those iron removing sprays... Yea they work on a broad scale over the entire vehicle, but IME when it comes to distinct large spots that won’t come clean with a normal wash, it’s the clay that’s most effective.

3. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

First - welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Second, here's your picture,

And I see the black dots on the bumper, is this what your talking about?

Can you feel them with your finger? Are they above the surface or below the surface.

I would tend to take it back to the guy that painted it and show it to him and ask him what he thinks it could be. Sounds like he's done a good job of taking care of you so far.

5. Thanks whoRyou thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Rust or Rust Dust Spots or Something Else???

Thank you both for your prompt reply to my inquiry. I blew up the picture so hopefully you two can see the rust on my hood. Again if you can't see it, I'll have to wait it's quite cloudy today. If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute is a saying around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And I see the black dots on the bumper, is this what your talking about?
    No, that is NOT what I'm referring to. I hope the blow up pic helps and it's on my hood. Can you see what I see?

Can you feel them with your finger? Are they above the surface or below the surface.
    Yes, I can feel it with my finger.

I would tend to take it back to the guy that painted it and show it to him and ask him what he thinks it could be. Sounds like he's done a good job of taking care of you so far.

A up and close pic of what I believe is RUST. I can't get better lighting the weather is NOT cooperating with me today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rust or Rust Dust Spots or Something  Else???-rust-2-jpg   Rust or Rust Dust Spots or Something  Else???-rust-3-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that looks to definitely be chipped paint and rust underneath

Touch up paint will be a temporary fix, once something rusts, it will continue to do so until fully fixed. Rust will remain underneath even with paint over top.

Iron remover also wouldn't be a perm. solution.

8. Likes whoRyou liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ34 View Post
    Yeah, that looks to definitely be chipped paint and rust underneath

Touch up paint will be a temporary fix, once something rusts, it will continue to do so until fully fixed. Rust will remain underneath even with paint over top.

Iron remover also wouldn't be a perm. solution.
    How can you remove rust???

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Rust or Rust Dust Spots or Something Else???

Mike, I saw a post on here regarding Dr. Colorchip, do you believe it could work on my car How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems or can you recommend something else? TIA

Post Thanks / Like

I will begin my stating I am not a professional painter/body work guy. That being said, my understanding is the area needs to be properly sanded down to bare metal and then prepped for paint. (sand down to metal, prime, paint)

Nothing against your mechanic/friend but if he just paints over it, it will eventually come back. I would make sure its done properly.

12. Likes tomsteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

im with robert. imo, IF that area was repainted, then prepwork fell short. its not the best of light or angles in the pic but it looks like filler was put over that rust then painted. no proper prep work and the filler popped off.
    pictures in better light and from different angles would help.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Rust or Rust Dust Spots or Something Else???

I hope this pic is better, if not let me know.

Rust or Rust Dust Spots or Something  Else???-close-rust-jpg

The texture is smooth suprisingly. I tried to show 'layers' (not sure if that is the right terminology) of the paint and rust.

TIA everyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast