Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
Everything in this industry is marketed and overhyped to some extent. Is a carnauba wax worth $100, 200, 1000 dollars. You can order a pound of raw carnauba for $20 dollars. That’s enough to make 20 tins of fusion or souveran. I know their may be quality difference but $300 for wax?

The thing most everything in life is derived from selling something. Doctors lawyers shoot engineers are engineering something to be sold. That’s part of the circle of life and yes a good chunk of it will be overstated.

But that’s the thing. Lots will buy a $200 carnauba or a $500 polisher or a $1000 dollar detail job. I bet a few guys who are known and like on this forum may even charge that much. Can we be mad if someone makes or performs a service that someone is willing to pay for? That’s capitalism. I feel if someone is willing to pay for it, it’s their due diligence to make sure their getting proper value. If not it falls on them.

If your gonna believe in snake oil and someone sells it to them.... they both created that market.

And personally I love me some ceramic snake oil. I wa happy rubbin hydrosilex every 6 months on my swirled car but I decided to dig in this rabbit hole. Have I wasted some money.... absolutely! But I’ve enjoyed the ride.

I see three boats to this hobby, everyone loves a clean and beautiful car. Some just want to find the next greatest and don’t mind spending too much even if slightly or a lot frivolous. Those who thrive on accomplishing that same task for 12 cents. Then their are those who think it will fall somewhere in the middle. As long as you find your happy all three are right.

As for that customer shopping around. That was me last year. Wasn’t willing to spend 1000-1500 for the correcting and coating so did it myself. Still deciding if I saved money or overspent....
For a paint correction and 6month coating I charge wholesale dealers 650 for 5 year coating wholesale 1380

and my average retail is 1380 exterior only on a small car 1780 on a larger car or suv exterior only interior is 3 to 400 more

my personal experience with ceramic coating is they do work but have their limits just like anything if they want solid protection we do ppf,

I just finished a r8 I charged 4200 with ppf on the whole front and ceramic on the rest last month did a porsche 911 for 5500 same thing it's all about what you enjoy doing and making sure you have a reliable product..