autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coatings and the Misinformation of the Masses

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    Don't feel hesitant about UK3.0, it's not easy to mess it up and even if you do, it's easily fixed.
    Yeah, even a caveman can do it!!

2. Likes PaulMys, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Do pro-only coatings that come with a 'warranty' require return visits/top-ups as well?

I thought a few required some kinda aftercare program.
    I’ve seen that with some. 6 mo maintenance to keep warranty. I wonder what warranty covers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting discussion for sure!

What I wondering is like in your description Steve, if they have the same price for the correction part if the customer wanted to have a sealant or a wax applyied as the protection. Not maybe so common that they split up the correction part and the coating application. Then it's also much about which ceramic coating they are useing too. I mean I have seen something like the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax been called a ceramic coating or Mothers CMX or even Carpro Reload or Gyeon Cure. And that's a huge problem that it's not a standard for what a so called full blown ceramic coating is. If it's just SiO2 or ceramic infused products some call it a ceramic coating. And that's no wondering why the average Joe and Jane customers thinks a certified ceramic coating is expensive as you can get a so called ceramic coating at Walmart or Autozone or something like that for a low price. So the industry would benefit to get some kind of standard when it comes to what a ceramic coating is and what's not.

Then that there are 2 different kind of measure when it comes to like 9H and 9H. In the ceramic coatings it's always the scratch resistance from the pencil hardness testing and when it comes to the hardness of material it's the mohs scale. So it's basicly a lie when they claim that the hardness is 9H on the ceramic coating. But if the ceramic coating has a claim to have a scratch resistance of 9H it's true. But just claim it's a 9H ceramic coating it's both true and not and misinformation IMO. As the pencil hardness scratch resistance method is not very well knowned.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    When reading all of these discussions about ceramic coatings, I get tempted go purchase some CQuartz UK and coat my beloved truck after the proper prep work of course. Without having a proper garage and the fear of messing up the process has stopped me from attempting the coating. I actually enjoy applying a layer of wax or sealant with my Griots G3 and then watching the paint sparkle when the sun shines on it just right. A coating would deprive me of that pleasure every 3-6 months.
    Coatings definitely have their place in this industry/hobby, and a properly maintained coating applied by a professional would yield superb results. If a person is willing to pay for that service on his or her garage queen, then go ahead and charge what your time and materials are worth without feeling guilty.
    Not having a garage to apply a coating is my biggest problem also or the cure time in an enclosed area. So I just stick to sealants and waxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I’ve seen that with some. 6 mo maintenance to keep warranty. I wonder what warranty covers

It appears as least 1 'big guy' requires annual maint visits...I'd suspect others do something similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEAD19 View Post
    Not having a garage to apply a coating is my biggest problem also or the cure time in an enclosed area. So I just stick to sealants and waxes.
    I do coating out doors in the shade all the time. If it does happen to rain a few hours later, you won't find the coating on the ground. Durability may suffer a little, but it will still perform as intended.

Try some of the Lite coatings, very easy to use and very forgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I do coating out doors in the shade all the time. If it does happen to rain a few hours later, you won't find the coating on the ground. Durability may suffer a little, but it will still perform as intended.

Try some of the Lite coatings, very easy to use and very forgiving.
    Unfortunately I only have shade in the backyard and its fenced in. This is why I use mostly 3D products because they are sun friendly. Maybe I can time a lite coating on a cloudy day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    When reading all of these discussions about ceramic coatings, I get tempted go purchase some CQuartz UK and coat my beloved truck after the proper prep work of course. Without having a proper garage and the fear of messing up the process has stopped me from attempting the coating. I actually enjoy applying a layer of wax or sealant with my Griots G3 and then watching the paint sparkle when the sun shines on it just right. A coating would deprive me of that pleasure every 3-6 months.
    Coatings definitely have their place in this industry/hobby, and a properly maintained coating applied by a professional would yield superb results. If a person is willing to pay for that service on his or her garage queen, then go ahead and charge what your time and materials are worth without feeling guilty.
    CQUK3 looks awesome and if you don’t mind hand applying their are some amazing toppers that will look amazing. I ended up with some high spots but I believe I was using removal towel and buffing towels too long. The we’re getting saturated and pushing the carrier agent around instead of moving. I’ve helped 2 friends out since then to help me figure it out. Easy to do and even on mine was happy with 1st outcome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEAD19 View Post
    Unfortunately I only have shade in the backyard and its fenced in. This is why I use mostly 3D products because they are sun friendly. Maybe I can time a lite coating on a cloudy day.
    Turtlewax's Ceramic Spray Coating can be used in the sun and a awesome product for cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

As a pro installer of coatings I always tell our clients...."paint coatings main benefit is in the ease of cleaning and drying" I also tell them, "It's not a bullet proof barrier. If you park your car out in the Texas sun and sprinklers go off next to it, the water will etch your paint. Nothing will protect it from that"

If you as the professional installer correctly inform your clients then they will not be bummed when the coatings fail to keep bird bombs from etching the clear coat. We instruct our clients on how to handle situations like that and how to properly care for their coated paint. Good way to sell aftercare products also.

Anthony

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast