autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My white pad turned black!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    White 2008 Honda Civic
    I read that twice looking for a color. Couldn’t see it. Now I went back and immediately saw the color. lol
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Just as I thought, probably hours worth of good educational reading about Pad Cleaners right here!

Cleaning Polishing Pads? | Stop DAMAGING Your Most Expensive Investment | McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner Review

I browsed through much of this thread just now. Looks like many like the McKee's Pad Cleaner.
    Next time I need such, I'll probably order the McKee's and looks like the best bang for the dollar is the one gallon size.
    While there seems to be a lot of love for the McKee's Pad Cleaner, it simply hasn't worked very well for me when trying to clean pads used with AIO's. I have the powder version of McKee's, perhaps their spray Pad Cleaner is better, I can't speak to that. My powdered McKee's now just sits on the shelf and most likely won't be used again. Too bad because I have a lot of other McKee's products and am a pretty big fan of theirs, their product is what I have the most of in my arsenal of products. What works well for me is the Poor Boys Tornado Pad Cleaner. Spray cleaner that is quite effective and pretty good value.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll through my 2 cents in here.

As for what caused the pads to turn black, I'd agree with Mike's assessment it is grime the pads picked up. When polishing out my daughter's car for the first time it turned my white pads a dark gray from all the gunk they pulled up while polishing. Hitting black trim either plastic or rubber might be another source I've found, but if all the pads used turned that dirty gray color, I say it's grime from the paint.

For pad cleaning, I've found soaking them in a bucket of APC and water solution for a couple days does the trick. People who have their own business can't afford to do this, but as a person who only maintains my own cars, it's pretty easy.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Dislikes Texchappy disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    While there seems to be a lot of love for the McKee's Pad Cleaner, it simply hasn't worked very well for me when trying to clean pads used with AIO's. I have the powder version of McKee's, perhaps their spray Pad Cleaner is better, I can't speak to that. My powdered McKee's now just sits on the shelf and most likely won't be used again. Too bad because I have a lot of other McKee's products and am a pretty big fan of theirs, their product is what I have the most of in my arsenal of products. What works well for me is the Poor Boys Tornado Pad Cleaner. Spray cleaner that is quite effective and pretty good value.
    Hmm, I forgot about the powdered cleaners totally. Looking back at McKee's products just now it has jogged my memory about such products in discussions. It looks like McKee's says this Powder is made for them by Snappy. I vaguely remember some talk about Snappy.

This powder product might be better utilized as a MF Towel Cleaner, maybe fortify other existing cleaners that you use for such? Just an idea that came to mind?

I did recognize the Wolfgang's ability to more easily clean Pads, which I was struggling with, with off the shelf products. Only dislike which I sort of touched on before, a bit pricey, I went through a pint bottle of it quite quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Just as I thought, probably hours worth of good educational reading about Pad Cleaners right here!

Cleaning Polishing Pads? | Stop DAMAGING Your Most Expensive Investment | McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner Review

I browsed through much of this thread just now. Looks like many like the McKee's Pad Cleaner.
    Next time I need such, I'll probably order the McKee's and looks like the best bang for the dollar is the one gallon size.
    Mark: to be perfectly honest, I never get my pads 100% black with road film/gunk or dirt.

However, some of them do get pretty dirty from time to time. (Usually in the spring, getting off all the NE winter crap).

The McKee's Pad Cleaner really impressed me. Great stuff!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the mckees pad cleaner also. Super simple and effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Vindicated indeed!

Once, a gentleman once told me that my pads should not appear black because my prep work was terrible. This came from a LinkedIn “expert”. I tried referring him to this information in AGO. Never heard back about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I forgot about the powdered cleaners totally. Looking back at McKee's products just now it has jogged my memory about such products in discussions. It looks like McKee's says this Powder is made for them by Snappy. I vaguely remember some talk about Snappy.

This powder product might be better utilized as a MF Towel Cleaner, maybe fortify other existing cleaners that you use for such? Just an idea that came to mind?

I did recognize the Wolfgang's ability to more easily clean Pads, which I was struggling with, with off the shelf products. Only dislike which I sort of touched on before, a bit pricey, I went through a pint bottle of it quite quickly.
    Yes.....I also had some Snappy, seemed to be exact same as McKee's powder and just as ineffective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troda View Post
    I use the mckees pad cleaner also. Super simple and effective.
    Is it the McKee's Spray that you use?

Mike Phillips

More....

For those reading this into the future, there's a lot of info in the below article AND if you look at the paint on the BMW carefully, you'll see the effects of road film and normal dirt in our environment and how they impacted ONTO the paint.

The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips

And you can see how the paint actually changed colors after the paint was machine compounded. The compounding removed the dirt film.

Before followed by After

Sorry to say I did not take pictures of the pads and the dirt film on them, I had 26 people in this 2-day class and was a tick busy making sure everyone received all the one-on-one attention they wanted and needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12