autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Senior Member BSoares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Exton, PA
    Posts
    1,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My white pad turned black!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    White 2008 Honda Civic
    I read that twice looking for a color. Couldn’t see it. Now I went back and immediately saw the color. lol
    Bruno Soares


  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My white pad turned black!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Just as I thought, probably hours worth of good educational reading about Pad Cleaners right here!

    Cleaning Polishing Pads? | Stop DAMAGING Your Most Expensive Investment | McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner Review

    I browsed through much of this thread just now. Looks like many like the McKee's Pad Cleaner.
    Next time I need such, I'll probably order the McKee's and looks like the best bang for the dollar is the one gallon size.
    While there seems to be a lot of love for the McKee's Pad Cleaner, it simply hasn't worked very well for me when trying to clean pads used with AIO's. I have the powder version of McKee's, perhaps their spray Pad Cleaner is better, I can't speak to that. My powdered McKee's now just sits on the shelf and most likely won't be used again. Too bad because I have a lot of other McKee's products and am a pretty big fan of theirs, their product is what I have the most of in my arsenal of products. What works well for me is the Poor Boys Tornado Pad Cleaner. Spray cleaner that is quite effective and pretty good value.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Desertnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    St Louis metro (Illinois)
    Posts
    3,861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My white pad turned black!

    I'll through my 2 cents in here.

    As for what caused the pads to turn black, I'd agree with Mike's assessment it is grime the pads picked up. When polishing out my daughter's car for the first time it turned my white pads a dark gray from all the gunk they pulled up while polishing. Hitting black trim either plastic or rubber might be another source I've found, but if all the pads used turned that dirty gray color, I say it's grime from the paint.

    For pad cleaning, I've found soaking them in a bucket of APC and water solution for a couple days does the trick. People who have their own business can't afford to do this, but as a person who only maintains my own cars, it's pretty easy.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

  4. #14
    Senior Member MarkD51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sheboygan Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My white pad turned black!

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    While there seems to be a lot of love for the McKee's Pad Cleaner, it simply hasn't worked very well for me when trying to clean pads used with AIO's. I have the powder version of McKee's, perhaps their spray Pad Cleaner is better, I can't speak to that. My powdered McKee's now just sits on the shelf and most likely won't be used again. Too bad because I have a lot of other McKee's products and am a pretty big fan of theirs, their product is what I have the most of in my arsenal of products. What works well for me is the Poor Boys Tornado Pad Cleaner. Spray cleaner that is quite effective and pretty good value.
    Hmm, I forgot about the powdered cleaners totally. Looking back at McKee's products just now it has jogged my memory about such products in discussions. It looks like McKee's says this Powder is made for them by Snappy. I vaguely remember some talk about Snappy.

    This powder product might be better utilized as a MF Towel Cleaner, maybe fortify other existing cleaners that you use for such? Just an idea that came to mind?

    I did recognize the Wolfgang's ability to more easily clean Pads, which I was struggling with, with off the shelf products. Only dislike which I sort of touched on before, a bit pricey, I went through a pint bottle of it quite quickly.

  5. #15
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    5,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My white pad turned black!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Just as I thought, probably hours worth of good educational reading about Pad Cleaners right here!

    Cleaning Polishing Pads? | Stop DAMAGING Your Most Expensive Investment | McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner Review

    I browsed through much of this thread just now. Looks like many like the McKee's Pad Cleaner.
    Next time I need such, I'll probably order the McKee's and looks like the best bang for the dollar is the one gallon size.
    Mark: to be perfectly honest, I never get my pads 100% black with road film/gunk or dirt.

    However, some of them do get pretty dirty from time to time. (Usually in the spring, getting off all the NE winter crap).

    The McKee's Pad Cleaner really impressed me. Great stuff!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My white pad turned black!

    I use the mckees pad cleaner also. Super simple and effective.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Dan Tran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    York, ME
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My white pad turned black!

    Vindicated indeed!

    Once, a gentleman once told me that my pads should not appear black because my prep work was terrible. This came from a LinkedIn “expert”. I tried referring him to this information in AGO. Never heard back about it.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My white pad turned black!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Hmm, I forgot about the powdered cleaners totally. Looking back at McKee's products just now it has jogged my memory about such products in discussions. It looks like McKee's says this Powder is made for them by Snappy. I vaguely remember some talk about Snappy.

    This powder product might be better utilized as a MF Towel Cleaner, maybe fortify other existing cleaners that you use for such? Just an idea that came to mind?

    I did recognize the Wolfgang's ability to more easily clean Pads, which I was struggling with, with off the shelf products. Only dislike which I sort of touched on before, a bit pricey, I went through a pint bottle of it quite quickly.
    Yes.....I also had some Snappy, seemed to be exact same as McKee's powder and just as ineffective.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My white pad turned black!

    Quote Originally Posted by Troda View Post
    I use the mckees pad cleaner also. Super simple and effective.
    Is it the McKee's Spray that you use?

  10. #20
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    44,381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My white pad turned black!

    More....

    For those reading this into the future, there's a lot of info in the below article AND if you look at the paint on the BMW carefully, you'll see the effects of road film and normal dirt in our environment and how they impacted ONTO the paint.

    The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips


    And you can see how the paint actually changed colors after the paint was machine compounded. The compounding removed the dirt film.


    Before followed by After







    Sorry to say I did not take pictures of the pads and the dirt film on them, I had 26 people in this 2-day class and was a tick busy making sure everyone received all the one-on-one attention they wanted and needed.



    Mike Phillips
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member - Certified Detailer - Skills Validated Detailer - IDA Recognized Trainer
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Mike Phillips Detail Training Credentials
    Sign-up for Mike's Tips & Techniques Newsletter


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. McKees 360 turned plastic bumper white
    By 1953hogan in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-27-2019, 02:49 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2019, 06:44 AM
  3. Black paint turned white
    By Calendyr in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-12-2018, 01:43 PM
  4. Clear coat has turned white?
    By sgtpoliteness in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2014, 12:48 AM
  5. OMG or black PT has turned yellow
    By Smurf in forum Show N' Shine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 05:14 PM

Members who have read this thread: 102

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» December 2019

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31 1234