autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Craftsman 20 gallon air compressor oil less

I just purchased a 20 gallon does anyone use this. My alternative was a husky and I’m kinda thinking husky 20 gallon would have been the one to go with.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Craftsman 20 gallon air compressor oil less

I saw that craftsman on sale - looked like a good deal. If I were shopping for an air compressor in that size i probably would have chosen that one too.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the market for a new compressor...now I need to look at the Craftsman one!

Mgavin: why do you think you should have gotten the Husky?
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    I am in the market for a new compressor...now I need to look at the Craftsman one!

Mgavin: why do you think you should have gotten the Husky?
    read reviews about something with piston having issues but I think it was on a different model so now I’m Ok think I made good choice I got them to do 10 discount knocking price down to $159 for 20 gallon craftsman. The machine is actually made by Finn air compressor. I mainly got it for blowing out interiors and pads maybe a torador but when I buy a tool like that I use it for a month then it sits on shelf. Also brake job on personal cars and filling up tire I picked up impact and ratchet and hoses since heard extension cords and air compressors are PIA.

Overall I like husky tools a lot think they are great balance of price and quality.

For me I think I would use compressor under 0-15 hours a month so I went oil less

I do need so help getting the filter figured out any recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

It’s funny I started looking for only a portable tire inflator 12 volt plug In. That lead me to 3 gallon pancake compressors then to 6 gallon pan cake then convinced myself self to look at 8 gallon hotdogs to 10 gallon vertical and finally snowballed to 20 gallons and I bought one.

6. Likes OMGClayAiken liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    It’s funny I started looking for only a portable tire inflator 12 volt plug In. That lead me to 3 gallon pancake compressors then to 6 gallon pan cake then convinced myself self to look at 8 gallon hotdogs to 10 gallon vertical and finally snowballed to 20 gallons and I bought one.
    This describes the process I follow for about half the things in my garage and house lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

8. Likes Mgavin1985 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have advice on filter setup?

Second question the polisher set up on air would it be a forced rotation like flex that would be cool if so using little 2 lb 1 hand polisher that was direct drive. Just curious

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    read reviews about something with piston having issues but I think it was on a different model so now I’m Ok think I made good choice I got them to do 10 discount knocking price down to $159 for 20 gallon craftsman. The machine is actually made by Finn air compressor. I mainly got it for blowing out interiors and pads maybe a torador but when I buy a tool like that I use it for a month then it sits on shelf. Also brake job on personal cars and filling up tire I picked up impact and ratchet and hoses since heard extension cords and air compressors are PIA.

Overall I like husky tools a lot think they are great balance of price and quality.

For me I think I would use compressor under 0-15 hours a month so I went oil less

I do need so help getting the filter figured out any recommendations
    The key to compressors is the CFM needed and the run-time. Compressors like the ones we're looking at (not huge commercial ones) are designed around 50% run-time duty cycle. That is no more than 30 minutes per hour. If you're going to use it for a tornador, you will need a much more robust unit unless you're okay with it having a shorter life. Teflon or non-oiled units are already at a far less life than an oiled unit. A 20 Gallon used with a Tornador is going to pretty much run constantly, especially if it's putting out max 6cfm.

I went with a larger Huskey from Home Depot and bought an extended on-site warranty for $100 thus I have 5yrs coverage. Lowes has a really nice one too that will run a little longer as it maxes out at 175psi. Mine is a 3.7hp 60 Gallon with just under 12cfm. The 60 gallon size will allow for a full 2 minutes of Tornado Use before it needs to kick-on and refill the reserve tank up to 150psi. Even then I can continue to work non-stop with the Tornador and it not only powers the unit but it also has enough cfm flow to refill the tank in under 3 minutes. That won't happen with a smaller 20 gallon like the one you describe. It will only fill when you stop using the tool but it won't matter much as 20 Gallons won't allow for but about 30 seconds of usage before the compressor kicks on.

With all that above, the compressor will likely overheat or run very hot which is why you're reading about piston failures. Teflon works well in the beginning but will degrade fast under heavy use and heat build up. Home.

I run two tornador units, a Black and a Black with the Velocity Vac attached. Happy to help answer any questions.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that is incredibly helpful info you also saved me $60 on wasting it.

12. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U liked this post