autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Reset on non-coating SiO2 stand-alone or toppers?

If I’m LSPing with SiO2 maintenance sprays (Cosmic Spritz, High Gloss, BF SiO2 Spray, etc.) or coating lites (Can Coat, Moonlight, IGL Premiere, etc.) as stand-alone, am I only hurting the mire than helping but using Reset on occasion?

Similarly, if I have any of the above as a topper on a coating, am I mostly just removing the topper when using Reset?

I ask because as northeast winter approaches, I can foresee some gunking-up of my LSP by road grime, salt etc. If I see performance slipping and wanted to cleanse with Reset on a warmer day, is it doing its job like on a true coating or just beating my SiO2 Spray LSP up?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reset on non-coating SiO2 stand-alone or toppers?

I think that the SiO2 spray seal would breakdown quicker over time than if you were washing with something like Hyperwash. I usually use Reset at half the recommended dilution if its not a true semi permanent coating. I don't think you are completely removing the spray seal with one wash at normal dilution though.

3. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly Reset’s pH is only 8.9 which isn’t basic enough to hurt the LSPs you mention. Perhaps overtime they don’t last as long but I don’t think Reset would remove or severely degrade them with a few washes.
    Bruno Soares

5. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the maintenance sprays, but the "light" coatings are pretty tough in their own right. I've used CanCoat several times and it's almost as durable as the "regular" coatings overall and seems to stand up to chemicals like bug removers. I don't think an occasional wash with Reset would do much to it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

9. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, you’re all great!

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you are properly dilute it to 1:500 it's not a problem for me personally. Just be carefull if you use it in a foamcannon as it's easy to dilute it stronger when it gets on the paint. If your foamcannon on the highest chemical mix setting dilute 1:20. You dilute Reset at 1:24 in the foamcannon bottle and that's kind of weak dilution in the foamcannon but gets the dilution to 1:500 on the paint. This is not uncommon when you use car soap in the foamcannon that you get a very much stronger dilution than recommended on the paint. And if you have a car soap that gets harsh when you dilute it stronger. Many will hurt their LSP this way. Don't know which of the car soaps that does this or not. But some car soaps don't get aggressive on the LSPs when you dilute them stronger than the recommended dilution. Some car soaps that leaves something behind as in protection and glossenhancers will usually clogg your coating performance and some sealants faster if you use them in stronger than the recommended dilution in the foamcannon bottle. CG Citrus Wash and Gloss is very knowned to be doing this and way faster when you use it in the foamcannon. 1:10 often gets you over the double of the recommended dilution when you get it on the paint. So both to get a better foam and more effective I use dedicated prewash foams cause of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not try the WG Sio2 wash and add protection while washing for the winter washes?
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Why not try the WG Sio2 wash and add protection while washing for the winter washes?
    I plan on using the WG SiO2 Wash if/when it is warm enough. The stuff is such strong protection that I essentially consider it as a maintenance topper.

I was just figuring that this being my first winter with SiO2 protection, wanted to know the do’s and dont’s if the beading starts to get sloppy even though I’m sure there’s protection still. Maybe this won’t even be an issue. I haven’t purchased Reset yet and still trying to figure out if Mckees or PBL Shampoo do a deep clean the way Reset does, since I have both of these.

I could see myself alternating between WG for added protection and Reset or other to keep from clogging pores. This assuming I’ll only wash 1 time per month anyways.