autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recently repainted car

I recently had my car repainted and as it is a car I drive seasonally it will be stored in an unheated attached garage in Upstate New York. I won't be taking it out of storage for about 4 months. I've been reading as much as I can find on protecting the paint but still would like to get any suggestions the group might have. Thanks!

Jim

Mike Phillips

Re: Recently repainted car

General rule of thumb is to wait 30 days after the car comes out of the paint booth before SEALING the paint.

You can use body shop safe compounds, polishes and glazes on it just nothing that seals the surface, that would be,

Car waxes
    Synthetic sealants
    Ceramic paint coatings

Definitely have some kind of moisture removing device.

I'm not an expert in this area but mold and mildew are problems for cars that are stored for extended periods of time. Could be a simple box fan to maintain moving air would be a good idea.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike

Thank you!! I certainly can put a dehumidifier and a box fan,in the garage. I was thinking of going so far as to build a temporary paint booth to store it but was concerned with humidity. I'm thinking I don't want a large build up of dust on the car. Thanks again for your help.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar’s M305 was designed for this purpose. Optimum Car Wax has been mentioned to be fresh paint safe as well.

I used both when I had my car repainted. All worked out fine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Meguiar’s M305 was designed for this purpose. Optimum Car Wax has been mentioned to be fresh paint safe as well.

Guz
    Thanks for the tip on the M305. I didn't know this existed.
    Jim

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, an old painter...

If the car is going to be sitting in a garage, paint protection (wax or the like) would be the farthest thing from my mind. It's not going to be exposed to any severe environments that necessitate "protection". In fact, in my opinion it would be preferable to wait until you're close to bringing it out in the springtime before doing anything protection-wise. Give the paint as much cure time as possible before doing anything to it.

The box fan and/or dehumidifier are good ideas.

The 30-day cure timeframe is also an accepted rule-of-thumb. But it's only a rule-of-thumb. There are other variables to consider. Paint will cure/harden much faster in 90 degree summer temps than it will in 30 degree winter temps. Given that we are now approaching those winter temps I'd suggest 90 days rather than 30 days before applying any wax or the like.

8. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes Kaban liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

If the car is going to be sitting in a garage, paint protection (wax or the like) would be the farthest thing from my mind. It's not going to be exposed to any severe environments that necessitate "protection". In fact, in my opinion it would be preferable to wait until you're close to bringing it out in the springtime before doing anything protection-wise.

Give the paint as much cure time as possible before doing anything to it.
    And just to note, that is my normal advice.

If there's no hurry to put a car with a fresh paint job back into service, allow as much time to go by for the solvents and other nasty stuff to outgas as well as let the paint job shift.

The 2 Shelby Mustangs I detailed both sat in an old musty barn and both had mold and mildew in their interiors.

Bucket List Buff - 1968 Shelby Mustang GT350 - Detailed by Mike Phillips

Bucket List Buff - 1968 Shelby Mustang GT500KR - Original Paint by Mike Phillips

Here's the back seat of the GT350

Before

Click here to view the original image of 1024x768px.

After

The 30-day cure timeframe is also an accepted rule-of-thumb. But it's only a rule-of-thumb.
    Agree. I think I have an article on this topic that dates back to 2004. In fact, here's the time stamp, almost exactly 15 years ago.

Nov 17th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Here's the link to the article

Paint Needs to Breathe

(it's not what you think)

There are other variables to consider.

Paint will cure/harden much faster in 90 degree summer temps than it will in 30 degree winter temps.

Given that we are now approaching those winter temps I'd suggest 90 days rather than 30 days before applying any wax or the like.

Completely agree. I was taught this concept in my very early days as a Trainer for Meguiar's, circa 1987ish from a Paint Rep from PPG - in fact, I still have his business card.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If the car is going to be sitting in a garage, paint protection (wax or the like) would be the farthest thing from my mind. It's not going to be exposed to any severe environments that necessitate "protection". In fact, in my opinion it would be preferable to wait until you're close to bringing it out in the springtime before doing anything protection-wise. Give the paint as much cure time as possible before doing anything to it.

The 30-day cure timeframe is also an accepted rule-of-thumb. But it's only a rule-of-thumb. There are other variables to consider. Paint will cure/harden much faster in 90 degree summer temps than it will in 30 degree winter temps. Given that we are now approaching those winter temps I'd suggest 90 days rather than 30 days before applying any wax or the like.
    Nothing like hearing from someone experienced like an old painter. Thank you!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

I second Car Wax by Optimum. I've suggested this a couple of times, and they have worked out fine.

But like others have said, if it's going to be indoors, maybe just leave it alone

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I second Car Wax by Optimum. I've suggested this a couple of times, and they have worked out fine.

But like others have said, if it's going to be indoors, maybe just leave it alone
    👍👍👍

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast