autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

all the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?

I get really sucked into Brian from Apex Detailing's torture videos, I've even made a few purchases due to his results. He & Jimbo seem to do the most test videos, but it got me thinking about the methods. Product A failed when Citrol 266 was applied, Product B still was showing signs of protection. That says a lot about durability, but not so much the potential longevity under normal circumstances. And Citrol 266 is about 10x worse than anything mother nature could throw at my car. Does that speak on real world usage? Or am I off in my thinking that just because a product isn't as durable doesn't mean it can't last maybe even longer still? I'm convinced that the longevity claim a manufacture puts on a bottle is just a completely random number lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: all the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?

Brian's new test are more "real world" based on what he's saying about cars leaking fluids and what's on the roads this time of the year for 1/3 of us right now. That said, the amount in the panel is a tad more than average and when I say "tad" I mean Elaine's explanation of "a tad" from Airplane IIall the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t take them very seriously. I just find them fun to watch.

If someone wanted to upload independent lab testing for their durability I’d be interested in that. But even with that, the environment you keep your car in has a bigger impact than anything on the road, imo.

My car sits outside, and gets covered in pollen basically all spring, summer, and fall. My LSP is constantly beat down, even with the more durable stuff from these torture test videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good points Mr. Williams. I do watch "torture" tests however still rely on my driving conditions and environment to realistically evaluate results.

I do get some information from those tests based on controlled conditions. That is, take a bunch of products and see how they all behave to the same degradating condition. It gives you some idea of how robust each product is.

However, I still want to see how that product "winner" holds up to my environment over time. I want to see how the blazing sun with UV beats on it after a wicked rain while driving through all the road grime...and repeatedly.

My favorite tests are the one's where someone has divided up a hood into 10, 15, 20 sections and leaves it outside for months and periodically washes it and evaluates. But, again, that's a static test left in the weather and not driven around...and, that's in their weather, not mine.

Post Thanks / Like

It can be transfered to how good the protection ability is on them. But mostly is on the acidic ph level in the nature. I don't see it in how long longevity it has. Often it's a kind of APC with a high ph level that gets them or a strong solvent like citrol 266. And that kind of protection is not LSP made to resist.

Something that's not mentioned is the abrasion from the contact washes. That usually takes a good hit on the longevity from the LSP. Also they who aggitate with the chemicals on the torture testing makes these very more aggressive vs just letting it dwell and rinse off. I use tar remover almost at every wash I do during the winter months here in Sweden. And since doing that the tar spots is more fresher and only needs to be dwelled and rinsed. Most of the LSP I use handle this and also the TFR prewash foams I also use during this time. If I would be working them in with a mf towel they would not stand up to it. Actually mostly I see the performance from the LSP gets revived. If it's on it's last legs it's more signs that the LSP degrades. I want as clean as possible before I do the contact wash. Tar in the wash media is not fun at all to handle.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

Brian's new test are more "real world" based on what he's saying about cars leaking fluids and what's on the roads this time of the year for 1/3 of us right now.

You mean the topic of my article here?

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Driving in the rain - For most of us it's unavoidable

Road Film
    Road film is the oily film splattered all over your car when you drive in the rain.

Where does Road Film come from?

Oils and other fluids that drip out of cars, truck and suvs accumulate on roads and highways over time.

When it rains, these accumulated oils and other fluids mix with the rain and are then splattered all over your car in effect staining you're entire car from top to bottom. The highest concentration of road film accumulates on your wheels, tires and lower body panels.

Just look in the parking space of any parking lot...

Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid, Gear Oil and other fluids

These outlined areas show where fluids have dripped off engines and transmission, even radiators and accumulated to the point that the pavement has been permanently stained.

It's also on roads and highways...

The oil stain line that runs down the middle of the road...

The dark line down the middle of the road
    It's the darker, line down the middle of roads and freeways where most of the oily fluids accumulate as car, truck and suvs drive down the road.

Now that you've read this article and looked at the above pictures, you'll remember this every time you look down the road you're driving on.

Remember, oil and water don't mix
    When it rains, the cars in front of you spray the rain water mixed in with these accumulated oils onto not only your car's paint but the wheels, tires, glass, plastic, cloth tops and vinyl tops.

If it's on the outside of the car then it's getting coated with oily road film.

Road Film builds up over time..
    Oily road film builds up over time and because this film is oily or sticky it attracts dirt. This can be the dirt in the air or also in rain water that's splattered onto your car from the cars driving in front of you.

Can't always be seen...
    Because the dirt staining effect caused by road film build up slowly over time it's not always easy to see, especially on black and dark colored cars, but don't be fooled, if you drive in the rain your car is getting coated in road film.

The solution to the problem?
    Washing your car will remove any topical road film. The problem is the dirty, oil film will tend to migrate into any voids, pits, pores or interstices in your car's paint at least to the point that normal car washing won't remove it.

It's pretty easy to remove road film, all you have to do is periodically use one of the below approaches,

Use a quality cleaner/wax or AIO. The cleaning agents and/or abrasives in the cleaner/wax will remove any road film that washing could not remove.

Use a dedicated polish by hand or machine. Any high quality polish will effectively remove any built-up road film. Just be sure to apply a wax, sealant or coating afterwards to seal the paint.

Road Film... if you drive your car in the rain it's on your car...

8. Thanks PM5C thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, Guyb, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I don’t take them very seriously. I just find them fun to watch.

If someone wanted to upload independent lab testing for their durability I’d be interested in that. But even with that, the environment you keep your car in has a bigger impact than anything on the road, imo.
    I watch many of those.

Unfortunately, I seen Jim bo compare two entirely different products (apples to oranges) so I don't take his too seriously. Apex and Car Craft do a better job.

Myself, I tend to test in my own environment. It takes a heck of a long time, but it gives me a good idea as to the products I'm using and how they perform in my environment. Currently, I have three different coatings on my hood. Leaving them for about a year. Daily driver that sees plenty of sun, drives 25 miles one way, and since it's all on the hood, the coatings (or whatever else I've tested) see virtually the same environmental conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    That's a great one, Mike. Seen that post in various threads a ton of times. It's a good one (among others) to point people to when explaining things.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a Jimbo fan and not sure how he got the TW inviteall the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?all the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?

11. Thanks Coach Steve thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, both frequent washings and the dreaded road film are killers of durability.

I've often wondered if less frequent washes might extend any and all LSP's.

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

See, this is is why I buy/apply and repeat whenever I want, always fresh, always looking good, periodall the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?all the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?all the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?

15. Likes JustJesus, SWETM, PM5C, MAXBKS liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast