autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

McKee’s coating prep wash to rejuvenate coating

So I was having issues with my coating (cquk3 topped with cancoat) having flat spots on lower sides and one rear corner. The water was sheeting flat and running off instead of streams of beads running down the car. I ironX it and Reset washed it to no avail.

My thought was maybe one of the toppers I used was degrading and mucking up the coating. From what I’ve read most say wax/sealant removal soaps don’t work. But with not wanting to polish and remove my coating i tried the mckees.

Process:

Foam with Griots surface Wash.
    Pressure rinse.
    Reset wash
    Rinse
    McKee’s Coating prep wash foamed on
    Wash mitt to agitate
    Rinse
    Reset wash.

After first reset wash the areas still were sheeting. After the McKee’s wash I was shocked as coating went back to like new performance. It was a night and day difference.

As for removing the toppers It definitely affected the ones I have on hood(hood is not coated so I can test out toppers). I did last reset wash because of how it was affected I wanted to make sure their was nothing mucking it up.

Not really hyping this as a sealant was remover before coating as I don’t feel it removed all but did degrade it.

I am however going to be using this once every 2-3 months to wash my car to help keep the coating healthy. Reset didn’t seem to hard so I’m going to use it whenever I do a traditional 2 bucket.

It probably road grime/film that was mucking up the coating and the Alkaline coating coating prep wash cleared it right up. If you have this product and a coated vehicle give it a try.

Note: I asked on Amazon if this product would work to remove sealants/toppers from coatings w/o hurting the coating and Nick replied back yes so it’s coating safe.

Pics of degrade toppers (non coated hood)

Before wash:

After:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks acuRAS82, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee’s coating prep wash to rejuvenate coating

Thanks for the real-world info. How badly were the toppers impacted?

I would think that Cosmic and OC are more chemical resistant than traditional sealants, so it may have finished off an aged, traditional sealant if you had one (but in my experience, won’t finish off a newer traditional sealant).

Post Thanks / Like

I have curious about using the griots and mckees prep soaps myself to help revive/ deep clean coatings

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the past Nick said it would be a good idea to use that coat prep wash as a way to revive the coating. I did find it pretty good at removing whatever was left from an aging sealant.
    Bruno Soares

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    I have curious about using the griots and mckees prep soaps myself to help revive/ deep clean coatings
    I’ve read in griots FAQ about surface prep says not to use on coatings. I’m going down soon to pic up some stuff so I’ll ask personally when down their

9. Thanks john b thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Thanks for the real-world info. How badly were the toppers impacted?

I would think that Cosmic and OC are more chemical resistant than traditional sealants, so it may have finished off an aged, traditional sealant if you had one (but in my experience, won’t finish off a newer traditional sealant).
    If you look at last pic look how beads are flat and miss shaped. Definitely degraded That was 3-4 month old half cosmic half TWSNS (was doing comparison) accidentally topped with overcoat when doing whole car month later and then topped with clutch a month ago.

Lots of fresh protection compromised. I washed a 3rd time after Mckees with reset to make sure nothing was masking giving a false behavior.

Notice same beading when raining but what was wierd was water was rolling of a tad better