autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are mistakes you have made looking for a detailer? A detailing service?

Just go by their shop and look at their work. That's all I'd need to be convinced. No sense in being a PITA customer and wasting people's time with boring questions "what soap do you use, what clay bar and polish do you use". At the end of the day, if the job is done right, who gives a crap what compound and polish was used as long as the end result is satisfactory.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are mistakes you have made looking for a detailer? A detailing service?

I haven't looked yet, but would like to find a good, honest detailer to do annual or bi annual details. I have yet to find one that is not just mobile and actually has a shop. The local car wash place has a space where they detail but I don't trust them. The biggest issue I've found with any automotive related service is that they never care about the vehicle as much as you do.

3. Thanks Rod73 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the issue with mobile? As I am entering the mobile world full time in the spring, I have talked to a handful of detailers who had shops at one time, and now don't. Their reasoning seems to be the same, rent is really high, and having employees gets sticky. I offer either on sight, or pick up and drop off, that I do in my garage. I can assure you, my garage is a more sterile, if you will, place than some shops I have been in. I have also been in the shops that are like a frickin' ER. By being mobile without overhead, I can offer a better value for my customer, plus I am only concerned with one car at a time. For me it is a goal to acquire my IDA certification before I go live. Maybe see what IDA certified detailers are near you. At least you will know they have proper training

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    What is the issue with mobile? As I am entering the mobile world full time in the spring, I have talked to a handful of detailers who had shops at one time, and now don't. Their reasoning seems to be the same, rent is really high, and having employees gets sticky. I offer either on sight, or pick up and drop off, that I do in my garage. I can assure you, my garage is a more sterile, if you will, place than some shops I have been in. I have also been in the shops that are like a frickin' ER. By being mobile without overhead, I can offer a better value for my customer, plus I am only concerned with one car at a time. For me it is a goal to acquire my IDA certification before I go live. Maybe see what IDA certified detailers are near you. At least you will know they have proper training
    My only issue with mobile is the fact that I dont have the space at my house. What you've described sounds fine, having your garage space to do details is the same as a shop in my eyes, as long as it has room for a 21' truck. Many of the mobile detailers around here, cant offer anything other than the person's own driveway, garage, or on street. None of that works for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12