autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prevent morning freeze on the windshield

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Mike Phillips has this saying, (I’m hoping my
    below rendition, is a faithful report thereof):
    ”Find something you like, and use it often”.
    -that, IMO, is apropos to this situation.

•Accordingly:
    -(Although you say: ‘it gets expensive over
    the period of time’)...I’d keep on using the
    Prestone De-icer.

•After all:
    -A lot of things (some not so pleasant)
    can happen during that mile drive. And:
    -Can a price be put on, the providing for:
    the utmost Safety ‘n’ Well-being of ones Wife?

Bob
    I've taken some dangerous rides in my time. I'm talking about only being able to see through a 6" square until the defrosters kick in. I'm not proud.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The idea of letting your car sit and idle has been shown to not be a great idea for a while now and over the last couple of years, there have been numerous articles from lots of sources. Regardless of the source, the major themes are the same in all of them

A few examples:Warming Up Car | Engine Damage Warming Up Car Before Driving

Why You Shouldn't Idle Your Car in the Cold | Completely Firestone

I found pages of articles with only a simple Google search. There is also the issue of letting your car sit and idle in cold weather is actually illegal in 30 states. Idling Your Car in These States Is Illegal - Car Pre-Start Laws

I think if you let the engine run while you scrape off the ice and then drive off it is plenty of time to get fluids safely flowing through the car. Overall I think the "defrost" term is a little outdated. Heating the glass has just as much to do with keeping ice from forming on the glass while driving as it does to soften things up a bit so you can scrape them off in the morning.
    What about me? I sit in my car with the engine running for a 1/2 an hour everyday before going in to work. Is that illegal now? I'm a menace. I'm getting sick of all these stupid little rules everybody is supposed to follow. So much for a free country huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I agree, Monica.

And absolutely NO disrespect to Nate, but I completely disagree with the opinionated articles about cylinder wash/cold weather idling.

I've been a mechanic for over 30 years, and I can say those articles are filled with half-truths and spun facts to make a point.
    Very common these days where anyone can publish whatever bull crap they want to try to prove their opinions. If its on the internet it must be true right? Even the best and brightest among us who have access to cutting edge research find out they are wrong about things after a long enough time. Half the things we think we know now will be proven wrong in 20 years.

I've already lived long enough to see it. There are things about some of my hobbies that everyone "knew" 20 years ago that turned out to be totally wrong. It happens in science, medicine, and every other field there is.

Post Thanks / Like

I will agree and say that running a vehicle inside a garage for any long length of time is not wise.
    I have seen my own cousin do this in a garage, where he's sitting for 10-12 minutes with his truck running. Yeah, the door is open, but the vehicle is backed in.

If he had half a brain, he's at least pull the truck fully out first, then sit if he wishes. I know the problem with that though is a lot of traffic in and out of that alley, it's like Grand Central Station at times.

Another thought this morning had come to mind though. Isn't there a company who makes a windshield cover that somehow magnetically applies to the front windshield, and will generally remain in place until you remove it?

I forget the company's name, maybe somebody else here can suggest who?

Post Thanks / Like

Id LOVE to see the wording on these 30 states that you cant leave a car idling. And if its so bad for the car why does EVERY manufacture have factory remote starts in their cars?????

Id like to think the law is against people leaving their car idle WITH THE KEYS IN IT. Could there possibly be ONE law that made sense? lol Probably not.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99C5Coupe View Post
    ...According to the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by SixZee View Post
    I have tried using windshield cover unsuccessfully.

Conversely:
    The Wife loves her FrostGuard® windshield cover.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize that there are so many comments on the thread. Thanks for all the constructive comments.

Few points I should have mentioned,
    - I have not mastered the art of storing vehicles in the garage, yet. I am in the process of mastering it (aka, saving enough dough to buy a house north of NYC, wish me luck).
    (BIL from TX laughs at our struggles with snow and ice and shows off his house. Very annoyed, I was quite blunt to tell him that a chicken coop in my neck of the woods costs as much as his whole house.)

- I get Reynaud's like symptoms pretty quickly in winter so ice scraping is not my forte. I will have to choose between numbing my fingers and toes and scraping the ice.

- I have tried idling and for 5-10 minutes does absolutely nothing in Jan/Feb. Other times, yes that's enough to clean the ice without much pain. So at the moment, wife just remote starts the car 10 minutes before stepping outside and so far so good. If anyone idles car more than that the neighbors first in line with the parking lot complain of 'smell'. So we are not allowed to idle for more than 5-10 minutes anytime. In fact, the apt lease agreement says not to idle the car at all as it bothers the neighbors.
    @Swetm, Its a standard problem with Subarus. Compared to that my older Sentra warms up so fast. It takes forever to warm up Forester.

I am going to try options suggested in this thread and see what works better than/similar to Prestone De-icer and is cheaper to use. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Last edited by SixZee; 11-25-2019 at 07:26 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Stay in SoFlo!! No frost here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234