autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prevent morning freeze on the windshield

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    They also tend to be the people who don't remove any snow from the roof or other panels and then drive down the road leaving a trail like Haley's Comet with all the snow and ice blowing off.
    Which is WAY more dangerous than an idling car. Lol

If only these "special" people could try a Sno Brum just once!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OP:
    Maybe this’ll work at preventing that
    morning freeze on the windshield in
    your neck of the woods:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

. The only way I believe is to park in the shade because the car with closed windows is always slightly warmer in the sun then when sun goes down it’s slightly warmer and then accepts condensation even below freezing it the difference in temperatures between the vehicle and the environment.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Desertnate;1657068]The idea of letting your car sit and idle has been shown to not be a great idea for a while now and over the last couple of years, there have been numerous articles from lots of sources. Regardless of the source, the major themes are the same in all of them

A few examples:Warming Up Car | Engine Damage Warming Up Car Before Driving

I might agree with not letting a vehicle sit ridiculously long when temps are fairly moderate, say 20-30F. But when temps plummet to zero and below, I myself believe that letting a vehicle sit and idle upon start up is surely not harmful, but actually beneficial. Especially when temps are wicked and dangerous cold, -10 and below.

Yes, a little bit extra fuel used, one could say adds up, but how much? Certainly not like one's doing it for weeks-months on end, unless you're living in International Falls, or such. I'd say the trade off is worth the expense.

That a lot less wear occurs to the engine and transmission that lubricating fluids are able to lubricate better before a load is placed on those components. Of course full synthetic lubes help in these instances of extreme weather conditions.

I've seen rubber hoses in -20F and below shatter like glass.

That's why one relatively inexpensive option could be a remote start. Many modern remote starts have quite a range today as well, up to and even exceeding a 1/4 mile in distance. The remote start combined with my Viper Alarm is said to have a range of up to 2200'.

The remote start can also serve a benefit in summer, in that by starting a vehicle with the AC set to cool, you're not stepping into an oven. Most remote starts will run the vehicle for about 12 minute's time, then automatically shut off, just in case you forget, or linger a bit too long.

Yes, I am aware about laws in many states outlawing this practice. To that, I blow one big raspberry. Pffffft.

6. Likes PaulMys, fightnews liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=MarkD51;1657163]
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The idea of letting your car sit and idle has been shown to not be a great idea for a while now and over the last couple of years, there have been numerous articles from lots of sources. Regardless of the source, the major themes are the same in all of them

A few examples:Warming Up Car | Engine Damage Warming Up Car Before Driving

I might agree with not letting a vehicle sit ridiculously long when temps are fairly moderate, say 20-30F. But when temps plummet to zero and below, I myself believe that letting a vehicle sit and idle upon start up is surely not harmful, but actually beneficial. Especially when temps are wicked and dangerous cold, -10 and below.

Yes, a little bit extra fuel used, one could say adds up, but how much? Certainly not like one's doing it for weeks-months on end, unless you're living in International Falls, or such. I'd say the trade off is worth the expense.

That a lot less wear occurs to the engine and transmission that lubricating fluids are able to lubricate better before a load is placed on those components. Of course full synthetic lubes help in these instances of extreme weather conditions.

I've seen rubber hoses in -20F and below shatter like glass.

That's why one relatively inexpensive option could be a remote start. Many modern remote starts have quite a range today as well, up to and even exceeding a 1/4 mile in distance. The remote start combined with my Viper Alarm is said to have a range of up to 2200'.

The remote start can also serve a benefit in summer, in that by starting a vehicle with the AC set to cool, you're not stepping into an oven. Most remote starts will run the vehicle for about 12 minute's time, then automatically shut off, just in case you forget, or linger a bit too long.

Yes, I am aware about laws in many states outlawing this practice. To that, I blow one big raspberry. Pffffft.
    I agree the oil needs time to warm up and circulate the engine and make its way up to top valve and cams if its variable timing. when oil is cold it is thick and harder to deliver to top of engine.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[/QUOTE] Yes, I am aware about laws in many states outlawing this practice. To that, I blow one big raspberry. Pffffft.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, screw the "Idle Police".

Post Thanks / Like

I’m calling BS on not at least letting your car warm up... and when I say that, I mean letting the RPMs drop to an idle.
    I find when the car is sitting outside overnight, this can take several minutes.

So everyone have patience.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

11. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Jim w liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    I’m calling BS on not at least letting your car warm up... and when I say that, I mean letting the RPMs drop to an idle.
    I find when the car is sitting outside overnight, this can take several minutes.

So everyone have patience.
    I agree, Monica.

And absolutely NO disrespect to Nate, but I completely disagree with the opinionated articles about cylinder wash/cold weather idling.

I've been a mechanic for over 30 years, and I can say those articles are filled with half-truths and spun facts to make a point.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the answer for the OP

Uber it or take a cab!!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixZee View Post
    Now that the winter weather is upon many of us, I was wondering if anybody has a trick to prevent windshield from freezing in the mornings. Leaving the car idling to defrost is not an option. It takes a while for the car to warm up and start defrosting the windshield. Forester is particularly notorious for this and my wife's drive is a little over a mile. The car doesn't even reach to the operating temperature.

In the past, I used 50% rubbing alcohol (IPA) and it works wonderfully but I noticed that the paint on the top of the windshield has started bubbling. Not too sure if its because of the IPA. I have used Prestone deicer as well, that also works well but it gets expensive over the period of time. I have -30F windshield washer fluid but it doesn't cut it. So thought if there is anything that I can layer windshield with to prevent morning freeze yet not affect the visibility.

I have tried using windshield cover unsuccessfully.

Thanks for any ideas.
    If its solid scrap it. If its liquid wipe it up with a microfiber towel. Pretty much the only 2 things you can do. You could try mckees 37 anti frost but I don't think that is something that would work for condensation.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast