autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prevent morning freeze on the windshield

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Why is this not an option?

That is the sole function of the "defrost" setting. Car manufacturers have solved your problem for you.
    Seems as though we arent going to get an answer to that. lol
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Why is this not an option?

That is the sole function of the "defrost" setting. Car manufacturers have solved your problem for you.
    The idea of letting your car sit and idle has been shown to not be a great idea for a while now and over the last couple of years, there have been numerous articles from lots of sources. Regardless of the source, the major themes are the same in all of them

A few examples:Warming Up Car | Engine Damage Warming Up Car Before Driving

Why You Shouldn't Idle Your Car in the Cold | Completely Firestone

I found pages of articles with only a simple Google search. There is also the issue of letting your car sit and idle in cold weather is actually illegal in 30 states. Idling Your Car in These States Is Illegal - Car Pre-Start Laws

I think if you let the engine run while you scrape off the ice and then drive off it is plenty of time to get fluids safely flowing through the car. Overall I think the "defrost" term is a little outdated. Heating the glass has just as much to do with keeping ice from forming on the glass while driving as it does to soften things up a bit so you can scrape them off in the morning.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

As someone already said, a garage is best but not an option for everyone. An inexpensive alternative, and something I see a lot of around here - https://www.amazon.com/BRITENWAY-Win.../dp/B019T9KEOE.

4. Likes Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious too!!!

Best way (aside from having a garage) to de-icing the windshield is to start the car and let it warm up with the defrosters on....?
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean for this to sound argumentative, but do people not use ice scrapers any more? Pretty fast and effective way to clear the glass unless it is that ice you get in freezing fog or rain which is indestructible and looks like your car was dipped in a clear bead liner material.

I grew up to the sound of people scraping ice/frost off their windows in the morning. At work at the end of the day after a snow or ice storm, the sound still carries across the parking lots around here. This time of year stores can't keep stocking scapers fast enough. They must be going somewhere.

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 Frost Bite and a scraper make the job easy for my wife in the morning. Her car sits outside and gets frosty windows pretty much every morning during this time of the year. Running the car for a while helps but we don't want to leave it unattended and the car doesn't have remote start which would allow it to run while still locked and not prone to being taken by someone.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully OP doesn’t feel too jumped on, but I’m also in the camp of “You’re just stuck scraping”.

I’ll definitely recommend getting some sort of glass protection product on (doesn’t even have to be a coating) as it does help keep the ice from making as strong of a bond.

Scraping to me is just the quickest/safest route to a clean windshield. I can’t think of a time where after scraping the windshield clean I was immediately combating ice-buildup again.

A tip a friend of mine shared is to keep a 6” painter’s taping blade in the car. Looks like something you’d use for spreading drywall mud (or maybe you do - sorry, not my area of expertise!). Nice short handle, and the 6” clears a wide path. Works awesome to very quickly knock off that light duty ice/glaze. And they’re super cheap, so if it gets beat up you just pick up another one for a few bucks. Since it’s thinner, it conforms to the curve of the windshield so you get even scraping.

Heavy stuff I’ll still break out the normal scraper.

Post Thanks / Like

The Wife and I were fortunate to have
    received these modernday ice-scrapers
    as presents from my in-laws a couple of
    Christmases ago: they’re miraculous!

Hence their name.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

11. Likes oneheadlite, DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The idea of letting your car sit and idle has been shown to not be a great idea for a while now and over the last couple of years, there have been numerous articles from lots of sources. Regardless of the source, the major themes are the same in all of them

A few examples:Warming Up Car | Engine Damage Warming Up Car Before Driving

Why You Shouldn't Idle Your Car in the Cold | Completely Firestone

I found pages of articles with only a simple Google search. There is also the issue of letting your car sit and idle in cold weather is actually illegal in 30 states. Idling Your Car in These States Is Illegal - Car Pre-Start Laws

I think if you let the engine run while you scrape off the ice and then drive off it is plenty of time to get fluids safely flowing through the car. Overall I think the "defrost" term is a little outdated. Heating the glass has just as much to do with keeping ice from forming on the glass while driving as it does to soften things up a bit so you can scrape them off in the morning.
    I didn't mean to imply to let the car/truck idle for an hour.

Just that after 5-6 minutes, the defroster makes ice/frost removal WAY easier.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh. Sorry. I've encountered many people who think they should start their car and let it run for 15~20 minutes (or more!) until the car is completely clear is the way to go. They also tend to be the people who don't remove any snow from the roof or other panels and then drive down the road leaving a trail like Haley's Comet with all the snow and ice blowing off.

15. Likes PaulMys, Misterpaul liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast