autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Explain something to and old dummy!!

    Almost embarrassed to ask but I see many dilution ratio discussions where someone may use a dilution ratio of a product (small number first> 1:40) and others may use a dilution ratio for another product (large number first> 10:1.) Is there a difference in how the two are mixed or just the way users quote the ratio?

  2. Thanks bofh thanked for this post
    Likes DetailKitty liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Klasse Act's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Elk Grove Village Illinois, USA
    Posts
    17,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Explain something to and old dummy!!

    It's just the way they post it IMO. Honestly though, it should always be the highest number first, like a sports score for instance. Also, with the highest number first, it's always the water amount, the greater ratio, that is unless it's something like Super Clean where its inexpensive enough to go 1:1.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport...coated, finally!
    JUN B.L.axle-back/SXTH Element CPLT intake & catch can
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

  4. Likes Riff, dman68 liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member vobro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Homer Glen Il
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Explain something to and old dummy!!

    most fields it's listed 1:4 but for some reason in detailing it usually goes the other way. In school many moons ago we were taught concentrated solution (solute): water or solvent

  6. Likes dman68 liked this post
  7. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Explain something to and old dummy!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    It's just the way they post it IMO. Honestly though, it should always be the highest number first, like a sports score for instance. Also, with the highest number first, it's always the water amount, the greater ratio, that is unless it's something like Super Clean where its inexpensive enough to go 1:1.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    As I thought, but for an old fart who hasn't been really into correct detailing for may years, it can be confusing at times. I often question my understanding of these topics because of being a bit OCD.

  8. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Explain something to and old dummy!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    most fields it's listed 1:4 but for some reason in detailing it usually goes the other way. In school many moons ago we were taught concentrated solution (solute): water or solvent
    That was my understanding of this as well, many, many, moons ago.

    Thanks guys!

  9. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
  10. #6
    Senior Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    20,457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Explain something to and old dummy!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    In school many moons ago we were taught
    concentrated solution (solute): water or solvent
    Since “detailing” deals with chemicals, I write dilution
    ratios as it’s done in Chemistry: solute : solvent

    •In other words:
    -The number on the left side of the ratio sign [:]
    represents the amount of the detailing chemical.

    -The number on the right side of the ratio sign [:]
    represents the amount of the solvent.

    *************************************

    Let’s use the detailing chemical Meguiar’s D114;
    and the solvent Water for an example.


    •Assuming that the Rinseless Wash (RW) dilution
    ratio of Meguiar’s D114 has been determined to be:
    1 unit of D114, combined with 128 units of Water;

    then:

    -it would be reduced in writing by me as: 1:128
    -interpreted by me as: 1 unit of D114 (the detail-
    ing chemical) mixed with 128 units of water (the solvent)}


    Eazy Peazy...

    *****************************************


    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

  11. Likes PM5C, dman68, AaronE liked this post
  12. #7
    Senior Member rlmccarty2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Fitzgerald, GA
    Posts
    1,980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Explain something to and old dummy!!

    I just remember the big number is water, lol.

  13. Likes dcjredline, PM5C, dman68, PaulMys, UncleDavy liked this post
  14. #8
    Senior Member dcjredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Explain something to and old dummy!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I just remember the big number is water, lol.
    Yeah me too, maybe that makes us the bigger dummies? But it makes it easier.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

  15. Likes rlmccarty2000, dman68 liked this post
  16. #9
    Senior Member Rsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Explain something to and old dummy!!

    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Since “detailing” deals with chemicals, I write dilution
    ratios as it’s done in Chemistry: solute : solvent

    •In other words:
    -The number on the left side of the ratio sign [:]
    represents the amount of the detailing chemical.

    -The number on the right side of the ratio sign [:]

    represents the amount of the solvent.


    *************************************

    Let’s use the detailing chemical Meguiar’s D114;
    and the solvent Water for an example.


    •Assuming that the Rinseless Wash (RW) dilution
    ratio of Meguiar’s D114 has been determined to be:
    1 unit of D114, combined with 128 units of Water;

    then:

    -it would be reduced in writing by me as: 1:128
    -interpreted by me as: 1 unit of D114 (the detail-
    ing chemical) mixed with 128 units of water (the solvent)}


    Eazy Peazy...

    *****************************************


    Bob
    I agree, but many moons ago it was the opposite.

  17. Likes dman68 liked this post
  18. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Explain something to and old dummy!!

    Thanks everyone for your replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What a dummy! Another black vehicle.
    By BlackCoupe in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 01:55 PM
  2. Am i a dummy for this?
    By Qusai in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
  3. Dummy Detailer Strikes Again! (Amazing Roll Off)
    By mark2dx in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 12:37 AM
  4. dummy questions about collinite 845
    By szjalo in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 08:28 AM
  5. Can you help explain this?
    By CurlyCara in forum Rotary Buffers
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 01:50 PM

Members who have read this thread: 103

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» March 2020

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31 1234