autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AIO before ceramic

I have a couple corrections in the near future with one possible ceramic coat afterwards. Both cars should be able to be done with BF AIO, but my question is and shame me if I somehow skipped over the topic in my searches on the site, but can the CarPro ceramic be topped over the AIO since it is a sealant as well? Or should I find a single step polish without a sealant? I'm afraid it will prematurely sluff off in my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AIO before ceramic

No, you can't use an AIO before a coating, the paint needs to be completely clean and free from any polishing oils and waxes/sealants, otherwise the coating won't bond to the paint properly.

3. Thanks Cammy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! My assumption was right but wanted to verify with the pro's before I ordered more.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes and McKee's 37 are launching new ceramic one step products that can be used with ceramic coatings. The Blackfire One Step cannot be used to prep the paint surface for a ceramic coating. If you're using the Blackfire One Step and want to top it, I would top it with the new Blackfire BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax. It's an awesome combo!

6. Likes Cammy liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To clarify, you can use the AIO but would need to wipe down the paint with something to remove the sealant/wax/oils. This would be CarPro eraser in your case.

8. Likes Cammy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Essence is a good AOI to use prior to using a coating.

10. Likes Cammy, Dereksdtail, Bobh59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered Wolfgang swirl remover, seemed to have good reviews and has a moderate cut with a LC orange thin pad.

Thanks for all the replies! I like this forum more and more everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

The assumption is that you are looking for some correction ability in the AIO prior to the coating. If that's the case then just go with a polish instead of an AIO and save yourself some trouble.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're absolutely right. I'm just wanting to one step the vehicles then wipe down with a IPA and coat. I wanted something that is almost like a all around go to for moderate to fine swirls that will refine down to a nice finish. The polishes I do have are running low and wasn't completely satisfied with them either, hence the reason for my question with the AIO prior to purchase. Thanks again for your insight, RZJ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post
    To clarify, you can use the AIO but would need to wipe down the paint with something to remove the sealant/wax/oils. This would be CarPro eraser in your case.
    No the Carpro Eraser is not strong enough to remove a freshly applyied wax/sealant which is in an AIO. It's good to remove the polishing oils after a ordinary polish without any protection in it. You have primer polishes for coatings like Carpro Essence and Gyeon Primer Polish. It's something new that hits the shelfs now from Rupes and McKees 37 as mentioned by Bobby that seems to be working as a primer polish for most coatings. The Rupes one has also hydrophobic properties in it so you can use it on it's own. They claim up to a year of longevity from it which is pretty impresive if it's reaching that.

Some SiO2 based spray sealants and hybrids you can get a good protection topped over an AIO. But you are more certain to use these on bare paint after a polish without any protection in them. To get the longest durability from them with a properly preped paint to get the hardest bond from the SiO2 and hybrid products. Or use a primer polish or if the brand claims their AIO works in synergy with their coating product. Like the new Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution Ceramic Polish and Wax as the primer for their HS Ceramic Spray Coating after a 24h cure time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast