autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BigBoi vs Metro Blaster Sidekick

Does anyone have a recommendation between these two? The BigBoi is a bit more expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BigBoi vs Metro Blaster Sidekick

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation between these two? The BigBoi is a bit more expensive.
    I’ve had a couple people tell me they like the BigBoi much better.

Post Thanks / Like

If'n your looking at the Sidekick-ish BigBoi Buddi, last Spring I got a bit impatient waiting for the BigBoi Pro to be back in stock, figrd I`d snatch one of these for all the small vents, creases, nooks and crannies of the new car, 2019 Corvette

Didn`t plan it being beefy enough to dry a whole car but it ended up doing the whole car quicker than I do with a PFM or similar towel. Surprising power for the price. Granted, car was just coated and spritzed last week so it`s at the height of easy water moving goodness but still quite a pleasant surprise. Easy to handle small size, no hoses to muck with or twist up (and less stuff for me to inadvertantly whack the paint with)...can be very precise and still sweep wide panels of water.

Nice when something works better than anticipated...doesn`t always work out that way. Kinda cool.

Looks a bit goofy to those who don't get these kinda things, neighbors probably thought I was blow drying the car with a weird looking hair dryer but oh well. Was easier and less irritating than other methods of drying for me.

Use it for a lot of things, blowing off dust after compounding, blowing small areas when cleaning specific things (wheels).

Switch work is solid, construction is solid as well...those Aussies really know how to build stuff. It just feels a bit more 'monolithic', more substantial than your usual plastic 'thing'.

Never held or used a Sidekick but if it was built better than this thing, I'd be really impressed.

4. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Budget arrrgh! you're making me want to save up and buy one! And I only do waterless washes so I literally never even need to "dry" a car lol. Interesting you bring up how well Aussie stuff's made. Only Aussie company I know if Breville but I have a kitchen full of their gadgets. Some of the best stuff I own quality wise, pricey as hell but built like a tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j.williams@perpetualradiance View Post
    Budget arrrgh! you're making me want to save up and buy one! And I only do waterless washes so I literally never even need to "dry" a car lol. Interesting you bring up how well Aussie stuff's made. Only Aussie company I know if Breville but I have a kitchen full of their gadgets. Some of the best stuff I own quality wise, pricey as hell but built like a tank.
    BigBoi vs Metro Blaster Sidekick
    Actually had a chance to meet and talk with the husband and wife team from BigBoi who flew in from Australia for an Open House last Summer, really cool folks. All the Australian folks I've met in my life always seem very happy, always colorful conversations and it seems like they're friends with everybody they meet...like the entire world are their 'mates'. Such a lyrical and easy vernacular.

Doesn't really make a difference regarding the functionality of a chosen unit but a nice bonus to support folks you find nice.

They are coming out with a cordless, battery operated version of the smaller Buddi unit and will also be coming out with an attachment for the Mini that will let it double as a vacuum.

I, of course, could not stop with just the Buddi...but what a handy tool it is.

7. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Metro Sidekick is pretty awesome... BUT, keep in mind that it’s made in USA, so that means it sounds good, but reality is it only comes with a 1yr. warranty and this thing literally went up in a blaze of fire in my hand while I was using it! Literally!

I could’ve lost a limb, but who cares at least I can rest easy knowing it was quality made in the USA where only the best will do.BigBoi vs Metro Blaster Sidekick

1yr. warranty and surprise surprise they’ll sell you every little possible part of it that’s known to break or in my case nearly burn your hand off during use as long as you pay to ship it to them + parts & labor + tax because this is Merica afterall.BigBoi vs Metro Blaster Sidekick

Yea I like it, but you notice I still haven’t payed to get it fixed because I honestly don’t think they deserve my hard earned money for damn near leaving me without a limb. [Im exaggerating, but it really did happen that way]

9. Likes Finick, PaulMys, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Metro Sidekick is pretty awesome... BUT, keep in mind that it’s made in USA, so that means it sounds good, but reality is it only comes with a 1yr. warranty and this thing literally went up in a blaze of fire in my hand while I was using it! Literally!

I could’ve lost a limb, but who cares at least I can rest easy knowing it was quality made in the USA where only the best will do.BigBoi vs Metro Blaster Sidekick

1yr. warranty and surprise surprise they’ll sell you every little possible part of it that’s known to break or in my case nearly burn your hand off during use as long as you pay to ship it to them + parts & labor + tax because this is Merica afterall.BigBoi vs Metro Blaster Sidekick

Yea I like it, but you notice I still haven’t payed to get it fixed because I honestly don’t think they deserve my hard earned money for damn near leaving me without a limb. [Im exaggerating, but it really did happen that way]
    Bring it by here Ric. We can have a beer and I'll have it all fixed up in a few minutes. No charge.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Crazy story. Did you contact Metrovac about this issue? You should, we met them at SEMA a few years back and they are super friendly and open to suggestions about how to improve their products. We have about 4-5 of the side kicks at the shop and two of teh larger 4+4hp big blowers. Never had a single issue with these machines. Some of them are almost 10 years old and see daily use. We don't baby these things at all. I have wanted to try the BigBoi stuff. If Todd Cooperider recommends them, it must be good stuff. I trust him 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sidekick, a McKee’s 37 Turbo dryer, and a leaf blower. The one I use the most is the sidekick. So much easier to carry and use it. The others have more power but so hard to manage around the car while not touching it and also avoiding fatigue. Sidekick is great. I won’t use it to dry the whole car but to get all the water out of cracks and crevices it’s awesome. I wanted the 8hp master blaster but I’d need a 20A circuit added and I hear storing the 30ft hose is a PITA so I didn’t buy one.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Sidekick and the McKee's 37 Turbo. The Turbo is a bit cumbersome but it dries the vehicle thoroughly. The Sidekick is easier to move around and it does completely dry a small car. I like the idea that the Bigboi dryer is on wheels. I am wondering where you can actually buy the Bigboi. Their website shows out of stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast