autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New with questions

Hello folks

First Post, thought I’d ask a question or two. I started washing and waxing my cars in the 80’s, using a product called KIT wax. Not very good, but that’s what we used. Moved on to clay bars and higher end retail stuff in the late 90’s.
    I have just recently discovered the finer car care products, such as Dodo Juice, Chemical Guys, Griots, etc.

So my first question: I washed and clayed my ‘47 Merc, and applied Jet Seal and then Dodo Juice Supernatural. First time using these products and I am just floored! All by hand, it’s cathartic for me to spend some time doing this. Anyway, my question is, would a product such as Chemical Guys Black light or White light make an appreciable difference?

Should I just stay with the products I’m using, as the shine is already spectacular?

The car in question is a pearl green ‘47 Mercury Convertible, which I drive a lot, but not a daily and never in bad weather. Also, I have no idea how to make the pictures upright...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New with questions-cb087ff1-8e2b-4927-9b1a-afc11eb65f89-jpg   New with questions-b32695da-078e-4f53-912f-b434ba4e9a8e-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New with questions

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Man View Post
    Hello folks

First Post, thought I’d ask a question or two. I started washing and waxing my cars in the 80’s, using a product called KIT wax. Not very good, but that’s what we used. Moved on to clay bars and higher end retail stuff in the late 90’s.
    I have just recently discovered the finer car care products, such as Dodo Juice, Chemical Guys, Griots, etc.

So my first question: I washed and clayed my ‘47 Merc, and applied Jet Seal and then Dodo Juice Supernatural. First time using these products and I am just floored! All by hand, it’s cathartic for me to spend some time doing this. Anyway, my question is, would a product such as Chemical Guys Black light or White light make an appreciable difference?NO

Should I just stay with the products I’m using, as the shine is already spectacular?YES

The car in question is a pearl green ‘47 Mercury Convertible, which I drive a lot, but not a daily and never in bad weather. Also, I have no idea how to make the pictures upright...
    Sorry can't help you

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing wrong with the products you are currently using, but I would recommend polishing the paint surface after using the clay bar. I think the Blackfire One Step would be perfect for your '47 Merc. Very cool car!

BLACKFIRE One Step 16 oz.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That stuff looks good, I’ll give it a try! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Man View Post
    Hello folks

So my first question: I washed and clayed my ‘47 Merc, and applied Jet Seal and then Dodo Juice Supernatural. First time using these products and I am just floored! All by hand, it’s cathartic for me to spend some time doing this. Anyway, my question is, would a product such as Chemical Guys Black light or White light make an appreciable difference?

Should I just stay with the products I’m using, as the shine is already spectacular?

I used "KIT" in the 70s along with Rally, Turtle Wax with "Brillium" and a step up was Rain Dance. All of the products you mentioned will add to the shine and depth of gloss. Since you are not concerned with protection from the weather a good carnauba wax will suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

The basic to get a high gloss is in the with polishing it. Pearl paint in general is great to hide the light defects on the paint. And the downside gets to getting that really high gloss finish some dark solid paints can give. So it comes down to the level of defects you have now on how high your paint gloss level you can get. Blacklight and Whitelight is a kind of glaze that filling the defects to reach a higher gloss and is used as a base for the protection you apply over it. So if you paint is very thin it's absolutely an option to go with. But since your awesome car is repainted you may have a lot of clearcoat to get many nice polishing session from it. Have you any knowledge about the repaint in if they did apply some extra clearcoat layers than usually is done or something like that? Or if you have done a lot of compounding or the previous owner has done it or even if it's been wet sanded after the repaint?

First I would be getting me a polisher if you don't have any already. Then get some great pads and polishes to getting started to perfect the paint. As mentioned before something like Blackfire One Step Finish which is a cleaner wax/sealant or called an AIO polish or another AIO that you may like can be a good start with machine polishing in the beginning. I personally like to be useing polishes or maybe a kind of primer polishes for the protection I plan to apply that is in synergy. So I can decide what protection I have on the paint and it's cararictics from that only. Personal preferences on how to get our vehicals looking great is so different with the product choices but the methods is very simualar how we do.

With a nice weather car you get a lot of options to go with. And if I would guess the looks from the LSP (Last Step Protection) is what you want. There are so many great options out there. But basicly it's down to what you want from it. As looks and longevity and ease of use from the application. Wax and hybrid wax is usually the lower longevity with exeptions of course. Sealants is next up and then you have the full blown ceramic coating with around 2 years more or less. When it comes to the organic wax I would go with Collinite 915. Which is an awesome carnuaba wax and very liked. If you learn to put it on thin it's a breeze to use and follow the directions of it. Basicly a great carnuaba wax you get the real carnuaba glow from LOL. That some sealants and coatings can be describe to get at the carnuaba glow look. It's also personal in what kind of look you think looks the best on your paint. This is also something that some sees and some think that they look the same. When I try different kind of LSP on one paint then I can slight differences from them. But it's impossible to say which product is on an unknown paint. You might like it when it gives you the crispy sharper gloss or the coating look which is often described as candied gloss. Some like the look where you have almost a clear film over the paint and get a high reflection from it. The use of the different products is what useally sets the product range apart in what you go with. Combined with the longevity from it if you like to do something with your paint like waxing it every 2-3 months or if you just is satisfied with a great maintance and you have a great protection for a couple of years or so. Or if you are in the middle of this and like something that last you 6-12 months but you can apply spray waxes and such on it. This is very general speaking this. The more information you give us the better we can guide you to something that you get interested to try out.

What most forgets about is the basics when you have gotten your paint looking awesome. And that's how you wash it. Look around the forum and see if you caught something up that you can ad or switch to in how you now wash your car and dry it. That's the secret to maintain a great look on the paint for a longer time with create as little of defects as possible until the next time you polishing. And a finishing polish step is also just needed than a compoundand polish steps.

/ Tony