autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber towels streaking

Another issue with towels is leaving behind lint trails. I had towels from BJ’s Wholesale Club that I had to demote to household use. Definitely don’t use them on glass and mirrors.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used the Costco brand towels, but the Sam's Club towels are perfectly fine for every use on any car. I have a suspicion that the Costco brand is the same exact towel, but I've never compared them to confirm.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m guessing the BJ’s aren’t the same since they lint after prolonged use. I noticed lint on my dining room mirror today from them.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prin View Post
    So, I have been using the Kirkland yellow fiber towels for a while. But on a few cars, we have been noticing that they are streaking the paint after we polish. These are with Brand New Towels!!!! So what do you guys suggest fro my polishing towels???
    Those towels are only good for wheels, interiors and door jambs. I would not even use them on glass because they lint too much.

Post Thanks / Like

How much money are you actually saving by buying box store MF's over quality ones?

For things that touch the paint, (be it washing, drying, polish/wax removal, etc.) why go the cheap route?

Quality MF products will last you for years when properly taken care of.

The price difference for that amount of time/use is well worth it for me. Not to mention the peace of mind knowing that you are using the best available.

JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the Costco Kirkland towels for years without issue for any application including paint (and all of my vehicles are black). I see absolutely no problem with them other than the occasional linting issue. But I've seen that with others as well.

As for the original question of this thread... Towels cannot cause streaking! A clean towel of any kind on a clean surface will not leave streaks. If you are getting streaks it is from some other substance either on the surface that the towel is not removing effectively or from some substance already present in the towel.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had issues with Low nap, Low Gsm streaking the product I’m trying to apply....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Most mf towels comes with an anti-mold in them. There are very few that don't have this in them. And to be certain to get it out it's a good way to wash them when new. There are some that have taken the mf towels and mf wash mitts and such under the microscope. And new mf can be dirty and have some speck of dirt in them from the go. Manufacturing plants where they make the mf yarn and then where they weave it and then where they cut it out and where they sow the edges and then where they packageing them. Is so many steps that would all be needed to be surgerly clean if it's not getting any kind of dirt in them and that's kind of impossible I think. So I always wash any product made from mf before I use it. Can be that anti-mold agent that has saturated the mf towel and cause it to streak and pushing it around.

And also as Coatingsarecrack mentioned that mf nap and weave and thickness might not suit to soak up just that polish you used. Also can be a combo of both these things that makes them don't work. Start with washing them and maybe think of getting various mf towels to get a great option if one kind of them don't work. So you can try with another one. It's very frustrateing with some products.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12