autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So its getting into the colder weather now, I need to throw on some protection... suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Do two small test spots. Let one sit for 2 minutes, then remove. Let the other one dry to a haze, and try to remove that one.

You be the judge........
    lol. How fast should I apply the second coat? Just go around once, and go around again? Maybe an hour between?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So its getting into the colder weather now, I need to throw on some protection... suggestions?

If you want to go with 476, have at it. But if you are on the fence as far as trying something different, I would go with WGDGPS. Very easy to apply, wait 45 minutes to an hour to haze, effortless removal.

Post Thanks / Like

A good complete wash, clay bar, iron X followed with Collinite 426 should so the trick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Did two coats of 476s about 2-3 hours apart.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to stick with a wax or coating type product, do yourself a favor and just apply Carpro Hydr02 every month or so. It literally takes less than 5 minutes to do a car and offers insane beading if that's what you're after. I used to be a hardcore 485/476 user back in the day and swore by that stuff, but these days, doing detailing as a profession, I'll take any product that will cut time and wear/tear on your body. I do not see any benefit to using a traditional paste wax these days over something like Hydr02. Sure, will Collinite offer a more slick feeling to the paint and potentially last longer? Maybe. But look how long it takes to apply and how much elbow grease is involved, not worth it IMO. Plus, a touchless sealant like Hydr02 gets on ALL surfaces (grille, glass, trim, etc.) and is a god-send on wheels/calipers/barrels.

I don't remember 476 even lasting that long. It's good for a wax but if your car sees the elements and is parked outside in the winter, forget it. Chicago winters, I was maybe getting a month's worth of noticeable beading with that product and it was all but gone completely after a few washes. Road salt just destroys any kind of wax out here. Ceramic coatings are the real deal if you want a product that will last through the winter and long after. Otherwise, something like Hydr02 fits the bill as far as short-term protection that super easy to apply and takes no time at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    If you want to stick with a wax or coating type product, do yourself a favor and just apply Carpro Hydr02 every month or so. It literally takes less than 5 minutes to do a car and offers insane beading if that's what you're after. I used to be a hardcore 485/476 user back in the day and swore by that stuff, but these days, doing detailing as a profession, I'll take any product that will cut time and wear/tear on your body. I do not see any benefit to using a traditional paste wax these days over something like Hydr02. Sure, will Collinite offer a more slick feeling to the paint and potentially last longer? Maybe. But look how long it takes to apply and how much elbow grease is involved, not worth it IMO. Plus, a touchless sealant like Hydr02 gets on ALL surfaces (grille, glass, trim, etc.) and is a god-send on wheels/calipers/barrels.

I don't remember 476 even lasting that long. It's good for a wax but if your car sees the elements and is parked outside in the winter, forget it. Chicago winters, I was maybe getting a month's worth of noticeable beading with that product and it was all but gone completely after a few washes. Road salt just destroys any kind of wax out here. Ceramic coatings are the real deal if you want a product that will last through the winter and long after. Otherwise, something like Hydr02 fits the bill as far as short-term protection that super easy to apply and takes no time at all.
    Let's just make a new rule here on AGO that if you use anything BUT a coating, don't bother posting here.

All of the products used for decades now suck, and you're wasting your time having fun in your driveway on a nice Sunday afternoon waxing/sealing your car.

Sorry, Collinite. And sorry to Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Meg's or any other wax or sealant. You have been passed by, and anyone that uses you need not reply here lest be given a lesson by those who "know better than you" what you choose to use on your own car.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes Jayfro, jimhanus, MAXBKS, DasTurboWagen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's just make a new rule here on AGO that if you use anything BUT a coating, don't bother posting here.

All of the products used for decades now suck, and you're wasting your time having fun in your driveway on a nice Sunday afternoon waxing/sealing your car.

Sorry, Collinite. And sorry to Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Meg's or any other wax or sealant. You have been passed by, and anyone that uses you need not reply here lest be given a lesson by those who "know better than you" what you choose to use on your own car.
    You're really open minded to new products aren't you. You can use what you want bud, no need to get upset over other people's opinions and suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

you're wasting your time having fun in your driveway on a nice Sunday afternoon waxing/sealing your car.
    To answer this point, nobody is "having fun in their driveway" doing ANYTHING during the winter months where I live (Chicago). With Hydr02, I recommended a product that is very quick and easy to use even in the winter months at a coin wash or a similar place when it's above freezing point. If you're in NY, you should know that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    You're really open minded to new products aren't you. You can use what you want bud, no need to get upset over other people's opinions and suggestions.
    Actually, I am very open minded. I've never said one bad thing about coating products, and completely understand the use and enthusiasm of such.

I will use what I want, thank you.

And if you think I was upset over a post on the internet, you might not know me so well.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes jimhanus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I am very open minded. I've never said one bad thing about coating products, and completely understand the use and enthusiasm of such.

I will use what I want, thank you.

And if you think I was upset over a post on the internet, you might not know me so well.
    ok bud. what ever you say.

14. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast