autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So its getting into the colder weather now, I need to throw on some protection... suggestions?

Its been one thing after another lately and I just have not had time to get some protection on the new truck. It has Sonax BSD on it now since I bought it ( about 4 weeks ago or so ) so at least it has SOMETHING. We all know how well BSD works etc. But basically what Im wondering is:

1. What should I use? I have many of the heavy hitters in terms of sealants like Collinite, M37 HD paint sealant, M37 10min sealants, WDGPS, Collinite 476a ets
    2. Should I use the new and famous Megs ceramic spray wax? Super easy it seems plus good longevity
    3. Something else?

Come spring its going to get clayed, buffed lightly or chemical polished and then some sort of protection then too. Im just after doing something now since well time is a tickin'....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So its getting into the colder weather now, I need to throw on some protection... suggestions?

If you just want something over the winter. And not especially want to try something new out. I would apply a 2 coats of Collinite 476s and done. If are able to down the road if you would notice a degrade in the behavior from the 476s. I would just top it with Sonax BSD when and if that's happens.

The problem I see with the hybrid and ceramics and ceramic coatings products. Is that you need to be doing a very thorough prep work which includes a light polishing step. To get the most out of them in the durability. Something that if you have access to a PW is to use a spray on rinse off product like Gyeon Wet Coat and Carpro Hydro2 lite and Sonax Spray and Seal. I get easy 2 months longevity from them with a high performance from them. With just a thorough wash as a prep and is not so finicky in lower temperatures either or in high humidity which is usually if you live where you have snow. Can be a very usefull product to have at hand if you want to top up the protection.

/ Tony

3. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So its getting into the colder weather now, I need to throw on some protection... suggestions?

if you're going to be polishing the paint first, I would recommend the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. if not, then just go with the Collinite 476. Both are very durable products during the winter months. You can maintain either product with the Sonax BSD.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine.

Collinite Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax No. 476

SONAX Brilliant Shine Detailer, quick detailer, detail spray

5. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with above suggestions.

Give it a good wash, and a couple of coats of 476.

Do NOT over-apply it, and DO NOT let it dry/haze over 2-3 minutes.

Thank me later for that advice. Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Agreed with above suggestions.

Give it a good wash, and a couple of coats of 476.

Do NOT over-apply it, and DO NOT let it dry/haze over 2-3 minutes.

Thank me later for that advice. Lol
    Sooo lol do what now? Lol. Apply it and remove it under 2-3 mins? Thought it had to haze, as it wouldn't come off easily?

I guess that's why this stuff is a bear to remove once hazed.

I may melt some down and put it in new deodorant tubes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    Sooo lol do what now? Lol. Apply it and remove it under 2-3 mins? Thought it had to haze, as it wouldn't come off easily?

I guess that's why this stuff is a bear to remove once hazed.

I may melt some down and put it in new deodorant tubes
    Do two small test spots. Let one sit for 2 minutes, then remove. Let the other one dry to a haze, and try to remove that one.

You be the judge........

Post Thanks / Like

Skip the wax and do a consumer based ceramic coating instead... this isn't 1973. I can't believe people still use 476 lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    Skip the wax and do a consumer based ceramic coating instead... this isn't 1973. I can't believe people still use 476 lol.
    No, but is IS 2019.

And thanks for dissing all of us who still use the product and are quite happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    No, but is IS 2019.

And thanks for dissing all of us who still use the product and are quite happy with it.
    ok?

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with ceramic coatings etc is IMO, if the surface isnt 100% good to go, the coating is going to fail. Ive tried it many times and I myself cant get them to last more than a year. It could be me, and may be, but waxes/sealants allow me to KNOW there is something on the paint. If not, I can just retop again. Plus I have sooo many things, I almost always have to throw something on the paint.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast