autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What are mistakes you have made looking for a detailer? A detailing service?

Hi! I am curious what mistakes anyone has made shopping for the wrong detailer/shop in hindsight or even more specifically what would someone who has had a bad experience with a detailer do differently now?

Thank you all! Hoping for a productive and valuable post.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are mistakes you have made looking for a detailer? A detailing service?

I’ve never looked for a detailer to do my cars, but if I did I’d have alot of things that I’d watch out for... Mainly I’d want to stay away from a detailer who tries too hard to sell me on how trendy he and the products he uses are guaranteed to be the latest and greatest and therefore most expensive experience imaginable... IMO detailers who work hardest to maintain an image or a 5 star rating on Yelp aren’t really equipped where it really matters because the true mark of quality is in the work and care of the customers vehicle and caring about the relationship between him/her and the customer instead of being an actor making sure to say all the right things and kiss butt in hopes for a positive review to maintain their fake image.

I think finding a true and honest detailer would be about as hard as finding a true and honest mechanic. They’re out there, but good luck finding them.

3. Thanks Rod73 thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, Rod73, Bruno Soares, Jim w, Kaban liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are mistakes you have made looking for a detailer? A detailing service?

I've never looked for one either, but if I did I'd start with word of mouth. Then I'd go to their shop and check it out.
    I'd ask product questions, technique, you name it.
    By the time I was done they probably wouldn't want my business
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

5. Likes Bruno Soares, Jim w, Kaban liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    I've never looked for one either, but if I did I'd start with word of mouth. Then I'd go to their shop and check it out.
    I'd ask product questions, technique, you name it.
    By the time I was done they probably wouldn't want my business
    You’re the girl who removes the factory floormatts the day you drive it off the lot only to put them back in the day you return the car back from the lease... Knowing that even I wouldn’t take the job because there’s no way everything would be perfect enough for you!What are mistakes you have made looking for a detailer?  A detailing service?lol.

7. Likes DetailKitty, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You’re the girl who removes the factory floormatts the day you drive it off the lot only to put them back in the day you return the car back from the lease... Knowing that even I wouldn’t take the job because there’s no way everything would be perfect enough for you!What are mistakes you have made looking for a detailer?  A detailing service?lol.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

9. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are mistakes you have made looking for a detailer? A detailing service?

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    2 hack detailers show up at your house... You open the garage and tell em there it is boys, let me know when it’s ready.

They have a look around and 1 of them spots the factory floormatts wrapped in plastic hanging on the wall and he says to the other guy “hey check it out, are those floormatts from this car”? They realize they are.

Then 1 guy says “did you see she was walking around with a gun in a holster”? Other guy says “that wasn’t no freakin gun man, that looked more like a 2000 lumen LED flashlight. You know what those things are for don’t ya? They’re for finding swirls! Holy crap we only brought 2 wash mitts and the same bucket of soap we’ve been using since yesterday... We’re freakin screwed”! What are mistakes you have made looking for a detailer?  A detailing service?

Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    2 hack detailers show up at your house... You open the garage and tell em there it is boys, let me know when it’s ready.

They have a look around and 1 of them spots the factory floormatts wrapped in plastic hanging on the wall and he says to the other guy “hey check it out, are those floormatts from this car”? They realize they are.

Then 1 guy says “did you see she was walking around with a gun in a holster”? Other guy says “that wasn’t no freakin gun man, that looked more like a 2000 lumen LED flashlight. You know what those things are for don’t ya? They’re for finding swirls! Holy crap we only brought 2 wash mitts and the same bucket of soap we’ve been using since yesterday... We’re freakin screwed”! What are mistakes you have made looking for a detailer?  A detailing service?

Lol.
    I like how they thought I had a gun in my holster... sounds more accurate

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

13. Likes Jay's 128i liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looked for a detailer.... didn’t find one I trusted..... now I’m here doing it myself. Actually glad I did... kinda therapeutic and who coulda thought cleaning something would be my hobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was brought up to never let anyone do anything that you can do. Anyone can detail a car to a certain level. Just know your limits and don't expect a "Show Car Finish". I was a member of this forum a few years before I ever posted my first thread or chimed in on one. There's a lot of information on here that can help you get started and almost everyone is super helpful. There is a ton of experience on here to help you with what you need to know or want to know. You don't have to start out with boutique brands when you first start. Meguiars and Mother's has a lot of good over the counter products to get you going. Then if it turns out it's something you enjoy, invest in better products and tools.

17. Thanks Rod73 thanked for this post
    Likes Jayfro, Rod73 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast