autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some advise..

Hey guys i need some advise..I usually detail my personal cars during weekend or whenever i get a chance as a hobby..long story short i was cleaning my car this morning and my neighbor asked me if I can detail his truck..he has 2018 Toyota Tundra and its a big truck with some aftermarket rims..I will wash the exterior no polishing (Apply Some Spray and seal as protection maybe) and will vacuum the inside and clean the dashboard..my question is how much should i charge him..I have never done anyone else's car so i have no idea...
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some advise..

Doesn't sound like this is the start of a business - just helping out someone who recognizes they don't have the time, technique or products to do it properly.

Why not just ask him to come over and help.... If they can't help - simply ask them how much they are willing to pay? If they provide a lowball amount - then point out how much you've spent on products and point out it's not worth it for you to do it solely on your own and use you own products....

Or just ask them for a case of beer and have at it...

FYI - I've thought about this myself - and my starting point for someone who just walked up and asked - would be $150 minimum - unless I know you are a car person that I could get along with and have some really cool car I just want to see up close... And I would still discuss it first vs just agreeing.

I know generally people see our clean cars and think wow that looks great - they could really make my messy car look that good - but when that person hears or thinks about the effort/time/money it takes - they often don't care as much...

Mike Phillips

A proper wash on a truck that large including pro-quality wheel wash would be 2 hours. Minimum.

The roof will require some type of work platform or step stool.

I’ve washed a number of large trucks this year so my memory is very fresh on what it takes and how long it takes.

I’d say $150.00 minimum. With set-up and clean-up after the job you’ll be into this wash job 3 hours easy.

If the paint feels rough - my guess is it does - running a clay mitt over the paint and glass will not only restore the gloss but also enable the SONAX Spray & Seal better bond to the paint.

Just saying...

4. Thanks Nix thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty, Leon Sidursky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you mike and grovlet i will let him know the price and see what he says..
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    A proper wash on a truck that large including pro-quality wheel wash would be 2 hours. Minimum.

The roof will require some type of work platform or step stool.

I’ve washed a number of large trucks this year so my memory is very fresh on what it takes and how long it takes.

I’d say $150.00 minimum. With set-up and clean-up after the job you’ll be into this wash job 3 hours easy.

If the paint feels rough - my guess is it does - running a clay mitt over the paint and glass will not only restore the gloss but also enable the SONAX Spray & Seal better bond to the paint.

Just saying...

Claying it even though he's not going to polish it?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post

Claying it even though he's not going to polish it?
    I wouldn’t - but everyone had their own standards.

Most daily drivers parked outside need to be clayed or clay toweled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Need some advise..

This took me 2 hours.

Probably less time - an old friend stopped by to talk while I was washing it - probably 15 minutes talking time.

1. Machine scrubbed tires
    2. Total wheel clean - front and back
    3. Chemical decontaminate paint
    4. Foam gun wash
    5. Clay towel wash
    6. Dry and wipe down all jambs

I don’t know how long it takes others to do a super wash to a Suburban but I’d say 2 hours is fairly fast.

I normally don’t detail daily drivers, especially huge DDs like this one, but I detail all this guys streetrods and he’s a good friend and a great customer. He really wanted his Suburban detailed before taking a trip. Take care of your customers and your customers will take care of you. More important - take care of your friends and your friends will take care of you.

Besides that- I practice leading by example. I would never ask someone or tell someone to do something I wouldn’t do myself. I see a lot of experts now days even “talking heads” telling people how to detail a car - but I don’t see any proof of them actually detailing cars. It’s called walking the talk. It’s called credibility.

9. Thanks Nix thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Nix, Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree $150 minimum that is IF you want to do it. If you really don’t want to do it and would just be doing it to be a friendly neighbor then even $300 wouldn’t be enough....or maybe it would be enough I don’t know. What I’m trying to say is, make sure you’re comfortable doing what needs to be done first of all, and second charge what YOU think your time is worth because you don’t want to get in the middle of the detail, have an issue that takes 1 hour to resolve, a hour that cuts into your pre-scheduled plans and end up resenting the fact you agreed to take the job on in the first place. It will rob all of the fun out of it.

11. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You might be surprised what his reaction is when you tell him $150. Most people don’t know what they’re asking for when they say they want a ‘detail’. Ask him what he has in mind for your detailing his truck. Wash? Wax? Dressings? Interior?

My next door neighbor noticed me working an AIO on an Explorer this past spring and asked when she could have her Equinox done. A brief inspection and she noted how she wanted her dog hair removed (it was everywhere), interior detailed, and exterior as well, including removing rust streaks from rear license plate area. She was excited.

I quoted her $350 for the whole package, while explaining how much time this was expected to take. She about fell over, and said she ‘would think about it’.

I never did that Equinox.

My experience has been, some people appreciate what a car detail really is, other people like to think you’re like the 13 year old neighbor kid who is willing to mow their lawn for twenty dollars.

13. Likes grisby, PaulMys, Flash Gordon liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post

My experience has been, some people appreciate what a car detail really is, other people like to think you’re like the 13 year old neighbor kid who is willing to mow their lawn for twenty dollars.

Good analogy and my experience also.

This is why detailers all need multiple "packages" - something for everyone. Even still, some people simply will never be your customer. Send them to the local car wash that offers "detailing fo cheap.

I had a neighbor that wanted a 10 year old PPF removed due to mold growing on it and what appeared to be growing under it. She knew I detailed cars so asked if I would like the job.

I told her politely "no".

I knew how much time it would take and I could tell she wouldn't want to pay me a fair price for my time. As a professional courtesy to her, I gave her 2 options.

1: Take it to a local detail show where the employees work for $10.00 to $15.00 per hour. The owner will take the job for the least cost as compared to any pro detailers in our area.

2: Take it to a body shop and have the hood repainted. As a part of re-painting, they will remove the old PPF.

I don't think she liked either option.

Here's the BIG PICTURE deal though. The problem with the PPM is her fault from lack of regular maintenance. Not my fault, not anyone else's fault. I let her know the root cause of the problem too.

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast