autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newb detailing advice

First timer here and to finer detailing, so hello to all! I have a ‘13, 2dr, Jeep JK Sahara. It’s never been waxed per se, other than car washes. Yes, even the brush ones. Never had any professional work done. It has swirls, some scratching , etc. I plan on private selling it at the turn of the year. I know I could probably have it detailed and be done with it for far less than the the time an money in invested equipment and product. But there is a method to my madness. I have plenty of time (and a garage) because I’m retired. OCD. I plan on a new vehicle in which I want to detail myself to include possible DIY ceramic coat. Finally, the satisfaction that I did and can do it myself. With that said, I want to make Jeep really shine again and beg a buyer to take it home with them. The inside is in pretty good shape.

I’ve done a little homework. Good wash (foam/two bucket), ironX for contaminants, clay bar, polishing (swirl and light scratch removal), some type of wax.
    *hopefully the above is correct in sequence and hopefully that simplistic
    ** Hopefully not a tall order in what I want to achieve myself.

In that spirit. How would YOU approach my Jeep? What products from start to finish would you recommend/use? What would you use for the bumpers and black trim like door handles, mirrors and runner boards? I probably would invest in a decent polisher as well. So any recommendations in the “enthusiast” level would be most welcome.

Thanks a million,

William

Newb detailing advice-6ebdac1f-e2c1-4473-b936-91ba16c80835-jpgNewb detailing advice-db3c6428-831f-4c6d-af8b-8b147718e429-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb detailing advice

Good polisher... if I had to do over right now the G-9 from griots if not wanting to spend to much, a long throw, 15mm if don’t mind spending more on a good machine. Again I’d recommend griots g15. It’s what I use along with a dedicated 3” and love it.

Whatever you do invest in good pads and polish. Thin is usually what most recommend and after trying thick and thin I agree. Lake country thin pros are real popular and I like the griots Boss pads. Whatever you choose I’d recommend at least 4 of each with I think 6 being the sweet spot. Can’t have too many.

Guessing with years on it and care you’ll need to correct and polish. So definitely some orange and maybe micro fiber pads for corrections. I used griots yellow for polishing will have to figure out which color from different brand. If not to worried about perfection maybe an AIO.

Your routine seems good, I’d recommend a synthetic clay product. Nanoskin griots and PBMG make good ones.

I’d recommend a sio2 sealant instead of wax as you can use as a topper if you coat your next vehicle. The brand I use is not sold here but it does a great job on black trim and I’d guess most sio2 sealants will work great. If trim is bad I’ve heard great things on Mckees trim restorer.

My biggest recommendation though is if your going to be polishing a lot go with a long throw 15mm polisher. Nothing to be scared off (I’m a newbie too and my 1st polish went swell). It works faster, and mor efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Nice Jeep!

Quote Originally Posted by wrz0170 View Post

First timer here and to finer detailing, so hello to all!
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by wrz0170 View Post

In that spirit. How would YOU approach my Jeep?
    I would keep it simple simon, get a GREAT one-step AIO for the paint. It's fast, it's easy and the results are amazing.

What products from start to finish would you recommend/use?

What would you use for the bumpers and black trim like door handles, mirrors and runner boards?

I probably would invest in a decent polisher as well.

So any recommendations in the “enthusiast” level would be most welcome.

Thanks a million,

William

[/QUOTE]

Here's my suggestions, again, keeping it simple. If you think after flipping this Jeep you're going to do this again, then start out with a quality tool. A lot of experts on Facebook will tell you to get the Harbor Freight polisher fo cheap but you get what you pay for, it's a piece of crap as far as quality goes and I'm always surprised how many people recommend this tool to others.

Get one of these, either way, get a 5" backing plate so you can turn and churn smaller, 5.5" pads as these fit your Jeep panels better and actually work better on almost all new cars better.

Polisher
    Griot?s Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher

Best AIO on the market in my experience. Get the quart, it's available in a 16 ounce bottle but you'll end up using all of it once you find out how great it is and the quart is a much better deal dollar/per ounce.
    BLACKFIRE One Step, BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish

For all the black plastic trim - this works amazing well and lasts a long time.
    Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer

The Buff and Shine Uro-Tech pads in 6" will perfectly fit a 5" backing plate. Both of the tools I linked to above love these pads. For use with the BF AIO you can get away with the YELLOW pads. Get the maroon pads if you want more cut and then re-polish with the yellow to insure no micro-marring from the aggressive texture of the maroon pads. Don't get the blue pads, for some reason, they don't like heat and bowl-in with use.

6 Inch Buff & Shine Uro-Tec Foam Pads

Best 5" backing plate on the market today
    https://www.autogeek.net/griots-5-in...ing-plate.html

This stuff is way too expensive for a car wash but worth every penny. Best way to buy it is when Autogeek runs some kind of 25% and I've even seen 30% off sales with some kind of good deal on shipping. Then get the GALLON.

https://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-ub...ting-wash.html

For the tires, I'm a fan of tire coatings and I'm teaching a class on this topic at Mobile Tech Expo in a few months. But to keep it simple, get a great tire cleaner and 303 Aerospace protectant.

https://www.autogeek.net/tuf-shine-tire-cleaner.html

https://www.autogeek.net/303-automotive-protectant.html

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's how I do tires if I'm not using a tire coating....

More...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

The above was taken from the pictures I shared to document how hands-on my classes are.

Here's the write-up for JUST one car and it also shows you what BLACKFIRE One Step can do.

Here’s the power of teamwork and BLACKFIRE One Step!

Freaking amazing results and some of the people that worked on this car had NEVER used a machine to polish before.

BEFORE

Click here to view the original image of 1024x768px.

AFTER

Click here to view the original image of 1024x699px.

Mike Phillips

Here's a couple of write-ups I did, if I show it I like and use it. Feel free to dissect and check out what interests you the most...

Must Have Wheel Cleaning Brushes that make cleaning wheels fast and easy

Must Have Microfiber! At least my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, what pad is being used on the Flex by the guy doing the tires (or make a recommendation) ?

Post Thanks / Like

What Mike said. The Blackfire AIO, when paired with the right pads, is an amazing one step product. The cost, plus just how effective it is, make it hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like

He is using a brush. It attaches to the backing plate.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by howardm4 View Post

Mike, what pad is being used on the Flex by the guy doing the tires (or make a recommendation) ?

Here's a write-up I did on how I machine scrub tires. It's the only way to go if you can afford the tool, which is around $500.00 - it's the cordless FLEX PE14. Not only does it have the POWER but because it's cordless I don't get shocked when working in a wet environment.

See Post #8 in this write-up

How long does the battery last? 40 minutes - Cordless FLEX XC 3401 aka the CBEAST

And here's where to get the stuff I shared....

On Autogeek.com

Heavy-Duty DA Carpet Brush – Long Bristles <-- For tire scrubbing this works best

Heavy-Duty DA Carpet Brush – Short Bristles

Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Wheel Brush

TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner 22 ounce

SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect

FLEX PE-150 Cordless Rotary Polisher

And yeah... that old 2-door relic from the past came out fairly good...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast