autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing toppers from ceramic coating with out hurting the coating

I think that the McKees 37 Coating Prep Wash is too strong. It's made for being used to break down LSP and not cleaning them like Reset. IIRC Guz used this on a coating and it took a massive hit on it. If you are going to try to keep the CQUK as good as possible I would not use the Coating Prep Wash.

Switch the Coating Prep Wash and eraser to a Reset wash and maybe with the double dilution of it. When you are going to reapply the the topper in mind a Reset wash followed by a Eraser wipe down to get any oil based residue left on the paint off. Is what I would be doing.

I see where Bob gets his wondering about the SiO2 in the toppers are bonding to the SiO2 in CQUK coating. And in theory and claims this is why they have the Reload and in a way EcH2O also. To get the protection topped up and maybe ad with a bond or it's chemically reacts with the CQUK layer. This is on a microscopic level how this works. That's why I also mentioned that you may not be able to get the hydrophobic caractics of CQUK back. As it could have been comprimised with the protection of SiO2 in the toppers. When they are used to often.

The question I have generally speaking is if you are planning to use a topper regualary on a ceramic coating. Is the ceramic coating even needed to be used? You get the topper to build up a good protection on it's own if applyied on bare paint. The same will happens if you have a ceramic coating that you top up often. The question gets if the topper on it's own is enough for protection from something like bird droppings and such. Or will a bird dropping etch throw easier and more if only used the topper vs coating and the topper. Or will the topper on it's own be able to protect your paint from etching from bird droppings and water spots. So it's on the topper the etching or if it's to weak and need a coating under it to protect enough. Or maybe both of these gets etched down to the paint it self. If you have very coarse etching problems. Feels like the ceramic coating gets a better than sorry product with a high use of toppers. Just some thoughts about it from me LOL.

2. Likes KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If'n it was me and based on what I have on the shelf, with an eye towards overkill:

1. Foam it at strong dilution
    2. Hose down with PA Ultrared
    3. Gyeon Iron
    4. Gyeon Tar
    5. Wash with Reset at strong dilution
    6. Wipe down w Kleen Strip PrepAll
    7. Wipe down w Eraser

At that point I'd say a prayer cuz I have no idea whether or not it truly worked but sometimes ya just gotta have faith.

4. Likes SWETM, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Mckees Coating Prep, I’ve only used it by hand to clean up window and wheel coatings, prior to adding a new layer of coating. All I can say is that each coating definitely still remained after the prep polish but I have no idea if they took a hit. Plus, those are <previously> products from the same company (PBMG) so could be made to compliment each other.

Nick stated numerous times in the past that it won’t hurt coatings. Doesn’t mean he’s tested it on all coating types or that there isn’t some kind of degrading going on.

Post Thanks / Like

What about a mix of McKee's N-914 at a prep solution (I think 8:1)? Would that not work because some form of bonding has occurred?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
    What about a mix of McKee's N-914 at a prep solution (I think 8:1)? Would that not work because some form of bonding has occurred?
    The Mckees 1:8 dilution or any other prep spray are likely not strong enough to hurt any SiO2 topping. They are really meant for removing polishing oils or last traces of old wax. It wouldn’t hurt to try but likely won’t help unless the topper was 90% dead to begin with.

8. Thanks ejaf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I’ve read Mckees coating prep wash is coating safe. Has anyone tried it?

Thinking

Iron X
    Tar X
    Spotless
    McKee’s coating prep
    Eraser

Week later

Reset wash
    Applying topper (Cosmic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never used McKee's prep polish over a coating. You could try in an inconspicuous area to see if it disturbs the coating.

Do you need to use spotless?

This is what I would do

Ironx
    Tarx
    Foam with a strong dilution of Reset, mix Reset in your wash bucket at 1:500
    Rinse and dry
    Eraser wipe

10. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123