autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help!!! Are these Holograms in my paint (2010 Audi S4)? Used FG400 and G21 w/MEGs MF Pad

I’d recommend seeing a pro detailer around where you live. Getting recommendations from the pros here has been a great help but when I had something wierd pop up, i got better info from someone looking at it in real life.

I’m lucky enough to live near griots and the are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Matador thanked for this post
    Likes DetailKitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help!!! Are these Holograms in my paint (2010 Audi S4)? Used FG400 and G21 w/MEGs MF Pad

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Lucky!

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I’d recommend seeing a pro detailer around where you live. Getting recommendations from the pros here has been a great help but when I had something wierd pop up, i got better info from someone looking at it in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advice! I was thinking the same.

6. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Sooo...I tried to knock it out this past weekend. I gave her a wash...but when I brought her out in the light to do an inspection of the paint after FG400 and Megs MF pad from last week...the whole paint looked like this. I did a test portion on the door using the 4500 and with the white foam pad and it did nothing.

I am a newb...are these RIDS? Should the FG400 and MF pad not have taken these out? They're really bad on the hood, but they're all over the car.

The paint looks amazing 90% of the time, but when you hit it in direct sunlight you see this all over the car. It's not super noticeable... Pic below adjusted to show the scratches as best as I can. Paint looks awesome though (for most part).

Anyway, I said I had enough for now. Felt defeated haha. So I said it looks good for what I am looking for and will pick up probably in the spring. I am happy to where it is now compared to where it was. Looks a ton better...but these little scratches (spiderwebbing?) sucks when I see it in the right light.

I finished it off with Menz Powerlock for the winter and will probably just do waterless washes from this point forward. Getting cold around here.

Thoughts?
    That looks like some micro marring along with some RIDS. It probably needs a few more passes with 400 and then finish with 4500.

You need to remember that the paint is 10 years old and it's black..which shows even the slightest imperfection.

8. Likes Matador, DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a fun question for you, do you only noticed the swirls on those parts of the body line? Meaning, on the flat surfaces does it look better? I wonder if you just need to learn a little more on how to correct those curved panels. IE using a smaller pad and slowing down.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Rsurfer that you have both micro marring and deeper defects left. Also remember when you cut down the middle deep defects black paint shows the deeper defects very much more in sunlight.

I think that the sf4500 has to little cut to correct the micro marring on the hard Audi paint. Maybe the SF3500 is enough but I would also get the PF2500 if it's not.

And here comes a curve ball and try the HC400 on the white pad and and don't think that you will be getting any micro marring from that combo. And work it through real good with light pressure the last 2 passes. The HC400 has a finishing ability of 8/10 which is quite good actually. So if you do a test spot and I think that you will be seeing a clear finish with the deeper defects left.

Do any of the the deeper defects catch your fingernail when you move it over one of the visual deeper defects. In the sun picture it's not in the haze/micro marring where you see it on the right in the sun glare. But those that lights up just to the left of of the center of the sun. Remember this is not any unusual that you need to be doing 2 steps. When you dial in än one step you look at how much gloss and clear finish you can get with the most aggressive combo to get that. A cutting step is not so unusual that at under the inspection light shows almost worser than when you started. The benefit with the white pad and HC400 if you get a clear finish with this combo you reduse the deeper defects little more. But remember also that you abrade clearcoat and make your paint thinner. Some deeper defects is just not worth to chase after. So concentrate at get up the clarity of the paint next time you give it a go. Rather than keep compounding on. If you are going to be correcting it to almost flawless you need to have the tools and also experience to do this. As you probebly would need to be spot wet sanding and takeing measures with a PTG so you know where you are at. And still if someone have used a bad wash technique or driving through tough terrain or have it parked where people slide by the car or swirlomatic car washes has been very aggressive. The defects might be so deep that you can not level down that much that's needed to be done so you comes down to the undamaged paint.

Don't know if you have wiped it down with a panel prep wipe product or IPA on your paint? You can have compound residue left in the defects and when it dries it gets white and shows defects much more. Usually very visible on rock chips after a correction.

/ Tony

11. Likes Matador liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    Here’s a fun question for you, do you only noticed the swirls on those parts of the body line? Meaning, on the flat surfaces does it look better? I wonder if you just need to learn a little more on how to correct those curved panels. IE using a smaller pad and slowing down.
    It is really bad on the hood. So for the most part it looks like that all over the car. Not just body line.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I'm with Rsurfer that you have both micro marring and deeper defects left. Also remember when you cut down the middle deep defects black paint shows the deeper defects very much more in sunlight.

I think that the sf4500 has to little cut to correct the micro marring on the hard Audi paint. Maybe the SF3500 is enough but I would also get the PF2500 if it's not.

And here comes a curve ball and try the HC400 on the white pad and and don't think that you will be getting any micro marring from that combo. And work it through real good with light pressure the last 2 passes. The HC400 has a finishing ability of 8/10 which is quite good actually. So if you do a test spot and I think that you will be seeing a clear finish with the deeper defects left.

Do any of the the deeper defects catch your fingernail when you move it over one of the visual deeper defects. In the sun picture it's not in the haze/micro marring where you see it on the right in the sun glare. But those that lights up just to the left of of the center of the sun. Remember this is not any unusual that you need to be doing 2 steps. When you dial in än one step you look at how much gloss and clear finish you can get with the most aggressive combo to get that. A cutting step is not so unusual that at under the inspection light shows almost worser than when you started. The benefit with the white pad and HC400 if you get a clear finish with this combo you reduse the deeper defects little more. But remember also that you abrade clearcoat and make your paint thinner. Some deeper defects is just not worth to chase after. So concentrate at get up the clarity of the paint next time you give it a go. Rather than keep compounding on. If you are going to be correcting it to almost flawless you need to have the tools and also experience to do this. As you probebly would need to be spot wet sanding and takeing measures with a PTG so you know where you are at. And still if someone have used a bad wash technique or driving through tough terrain or have it parked where people slide by the car or swirlomatic car washes has been very aggressive. The defects might be so deep that you can not level down that much that's needed to be done so you comes down to the undamaged paint.

Don't know if you have wiped it down with a panel prep wipe product or IPA on your paint? You can have compound residue left in the defects and when it dries it gets white and shows defects much more. Usually very visible on rock chips after a correction.

/ Tony
    Thanks, as always Tony! I may try that in the spring (400 with white pad). None catch my finger nail...which I think you mean deep where it's almost metal?

I kind of feel the same way about not going too crazy given the age of the paint and not taking too much paint off in general.

I did not wipe it down with an IPA. I just washed the whole car again and was thinking that may take any residue or the oils in the compound out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    It is really bad on the hood. So for the most part it looks like that all over the car. Not just body line.

Thanks, as always Tony! I may try that in the spring (400 with white pad). None catch my finger nail...which I think you mean deep where it's almost metal?

I kind of feel the same way about not going too crazy given the age of the paint and not taking too much paint off in general.

I did not wipe it down with an IPA. I just washed the whole car again and was thinking that may take any residue or the oils in the compound out.
    Do an IPA wipe down to see the true finish. Washing will help with the dust, but some soaps have glossing agents or polymers/waxes that could hide the true finish and may not remove all the polishing oils.

14. Likes Matador liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back from the dead!!

After doing some more research...because this paint really bugs me haha. Caught my car in the light tonight, and snapped these two pics.

I have so much trouble snapping the fine little scratches in it. But here's two trying my best. The second pic shows it pretty well. Those damn fine scratches...

My stuff is almost exactly like the example in the post below.

I found this thread:
    2011 Audi Avant

This guy used Menz MF pads and FG 400.

He had similar results...but had to polish a couple of times to get the scratches in the paint like mine!!

So it's the paint that's super duper hard on this car....

Makes me feel better because i thought it was user error on my part. Anyway--I only did one run with Menz FG400 and Meg MF pads on the whole car.

Instead of going at it again with FG400 and bust my butt trying to get it right...I saw Mike Phillips reccomend Uber Compound. Never used it....but I am sure if Mike reccomends, it must be awesome.

Thinking of buying a 16oz. Should I get new pads? And if so, what's the top MF or wool now??? Pads to buy, to help me out here.

With the Labor Day sale, I am ready to spend me some cash!! LOL Help me spend some...

Post Thanks / Like

Bumping this back up!

What is the the best pads to mate with Uber compound? Any reccomendations? Specifically for my super duper hard, Audi Phantom Black paint.

Wanna take advantage of this sale right now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12